Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / rules for team requests

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2003 16:15
this is not a post say that we have to keep noods of the
team bored it just saying we have to keep idots of it.so i come up white so two rules i think we ask to be put at the to of the bored.

1)you have to ues DB or DBpro for the main program, this is the DB forum.

2)if you are a company you have to ask the administror be for posting.
Martyn Pittuck
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2003 19:08
Number 2 is a bit hash ain't it?

There are many DB companies that make games, they may not be true registered companies but what difference does it make?

The Outside is a evil place to be, too much light, too much noise and too many distractions....
I went outside once and my FPS rate dropped to 5.
Arrow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2003 20:52
I thinking more along the lines of...

1) You must have at least something to show that you are accully making this game rather than some kid who has a "great idea"

2) No "I need a modeler for an RPG, thanx, bye". You must Tell us about the project, like how much of it is complete, what kind of game is it, what kinda of style does it follow, ect...

3) No massivly big projects. If you are serious about making a nonliner MMORPG with 7 different planets, go get professional coders, modelers, composers. ect... Thier is no one here who has that much time to put into a project that'll probable end up in the trash.

Am I a butterfly dreaming I'm a man?
Or a bowling ball dreaming I'm a plate of samishi?
Never assume that what you see or feel is real.
Jonny_S
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2003 21:40
HEHEHE this about me? I wanna know who made you decide the rules.

CURRENT PROJECT - FIGHT OF THE CENTURY VIST
http://www.freewebz.com/supermonkeysmansion
Dr OcCuLt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2003 22:01
i do`t think 2 is to hash it we not stop companies posting but it will stop post like:-
i started a companies i call sort leeds-soft i new to programing but going make a nonliner MMORPG with 7 different planets i going to call it final fantasy 12. i`l pay you when i get big???

12 hours later:-
your are all have a go at me tell me to make a samller game and say that final fantasy copy right.i go now i am not comeing back,i hate you all.

sad but true it happes about one a week

--Dr 0--
Dr OcCuLt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2003 22:08
sMs this is not just about you.

"I wanna know who made you decide the rules".we have not decide the rules we can`t where just talking about it.
Jonny_S
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2003 22:19
OK fair enuf just must be a big coincidence. Any way I do kinda agree stupid posts like that do happen and its just a waste of time so i am kinda with you

CURRENT PROJECT - FIGHT OF THE CENTURY VIST
http://www.freewebz.com/supermonkeysmansion
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2003 22:26
Hey! I actually do have a company... or will have one in less then 60 days =) Name is registered though. Keeping companies out of that board is really silly.

Simple rules I think should be used:
1 DB/DBP must be used by the team in the project announced for.

2 Proof of a started project: Working prototype, models/art or massive discription with gameplay, story and loads of concept art.

3 Proper job description: What are you looking for and what exactly will they do.

[b]Digital Awakening
Game in developement: 3D RPG - The Magic Land
Visit DigAw.com for more info and shots
Dr OcCuLt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2003 23:32
Dead Glory: i not saying we keep companies out i just saying if you a real company ask the administror if you can post is no big thing,if you a noob that has no ider what your doing then it will show up in the post and you can`t post as a company.

--Dr 0--
Martyn Pittuck
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2003 17:56
Well 2 is still stupid.

Who cares if you are in a company or not as long as you use DB/DBPro or a related DBS product (3DGM etc).

I worked for a company but i still needed to ask for people to join up - although the company fell apart due to unexpcted events.

But i did it properly, i had tech demo's, a vauge plot (as i made it so that people joining could have a say to make it better/feasable to make) and a set of rules regarding the working of the group.

if you a noob that has no ider what your doing then it will show up in the post and you can`t post as a company.

WRONG

Who cares? Everyone comes here with the expectation of making the next big game, to do this you have to learn how to program. The best way to do this is to get together with a few peep's make a name/comapany and learn.

I would like to know what Rich thinks about this topic, i am sure he would agree that posting new comanies without giving much though to it can waste time, but peolpe learn by their mistakes. There have been loads of posts that have not had much though put into them, and they have been told how to go about planning a game correctly.

I see nothing wrong with the current system and cannot belive that i have just wasted 5 mins writing this post

The Outside is a evil place to be, too much light, too much noise and too many distractions....
Dr OcCuLt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2003 00:43
may be 2 is stupid.

it just the last lot of "comanies" where very stupid .thay post thing like we "do`s it matter if where uesing DB or not were posted here now,why wood we u DB it SUCKS,you do`t now eney thing about make games" this people are not here to learn.and you have to learn a lot to run a company
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2003 01:18
I really think you should differ companies from teams. A company is defined by the fact that it is registered as such. Everything else are just teams or groups or whatever they like to call themseleves.

[b]Digital Awakening
Game in developement: 3D RPG - The Magic Land
Visit DigAw.com for more info and shots
Arrow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2003 02:14
Personally, I think companies aren't the problem, it's people who have no clue are the problem. If some noob is hidding behind a fake company, He'll get spotted for what he is. Even if the are part of a real company, do think it'll last long if they can't show some repect to those they are asking help from? Lets leave it as is, natural selection. Those who can't handle it, get eaten alive.

Dr OcCuLt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2003 02:37
yes it wood not stop noob 1 bit.

ps. do`s eney one now the rules thay have on copy rights on the forum, the doom3 post got delete becos of them and it wood be good to post them as a waring.

--Dr 0--
John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2003 03:55
OK- Im one of those physco people in the TR forum, so I really wanna have a say in this:

1) Request a team for DB DANGIT!!! Stop coming here for C++ coders/projects! HONESTLY!! This is a D-A-R-K B-A-S-I-C website, wheres C++ in there?

2) Please, oh please have some work first! Honestly, we get posts ALL the time saying 'Hey I got this idea and I need a team so lets go go go go make my idea now! BTW, I got DB yesterday when I had my idea, hope that doesnt effect anything. Wait, whats print do again?"

3) Have some idea what you are doing in the first place. We get people coming and saying "Hey, I need a team. We need (lists members) and you might get payed!" Give some info, like "We are making an RPG, its all planned out on paper, here are some pics of our concept work, and a few basic documents describing gameplay and such" Ahhh, how nice it would be if more posts were like that

4) Please, use DB for more than a week before requesting a team. OK, you did the hello world tutorial, your still not a DB pro yet, sorry Practice, practice practice! Seriously, it pays off! You know, theres a command list with syntax + discription for a reason

Lol, if everyone followed these rules I think that forum would only have like 4 threads in it :p

RPGamer

PS- I know most of these things have been said, Im just backing them up

Current - RPG: Eternal Destiny
http://www.halbrosproductions.netfirms.com
Dont ask those questions! Read the help files lazy!
large_nostril
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2003 06:01
Ok, nobody can seem to agree about the whole companies thing. I say that we don't respond to anybody that doesn't use DB/P. If some "company" or "team" just comes here looking for some artist then we should just leave their post unanswered. That would show them that we have no interest in their company.

However, if they are a DB team/company, we should be free to reply to them.

And "Team Request" should at least be backed by something (a storyboard, basic engine, some graphics, etc., just not nothing).

And if the person requesting the team isn't qualified enough (doesn't have much skill), they have no place in making such a request. If the requesty has no intention of beeing the lead programmer or artist, they should join a team, not make one.

If you want fresh underwear in the morning, take it off the night before.
Dr OcCuLt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2003 01:45
can eney one tell me if thay have a prolem whit may spelling is it that bad.

--Dr 0--
Arrow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2003 02:45
It bareable, better than most people I know, lol. Hell, I have to proof read my own posts twice, and it still have mistakes. I understand that a number of people don't speak English as thier first language here. If anyone can't handle that, they can go lick a fence post.

John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2003 04:52
Dr. whats your native language? BTW yea I can read your posts (judging by arrow I thought you werent English)

RPGamer

Current - RPG: Eternal Destiny
http://www.halbrosproductions.netfirms.com
Dont ask those questions! Read the help files lazy!
Martyn Pittuck
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2003 12:14
My spelling is bad some of the time, but only cause i type too fast and as a result some of the buttons don't register when i 'tap' em. I need to get a touch type keyboard, then i needent worry anymore

Dr OcCuLt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2003 15:45
i am English i just very bad at the wrtten language that all.

--Dr 0--
Arrow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2003 01:10
My bad, I'm sorry if I offended you.

Dr OcCuLt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2003 18:02
it offended me at all.
Arrow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2003 01:33
I hope that's a typo,

Dr OcCuLt
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2003 02:09
yes it was a typo.

it not offended me at all.that what it ment to say
sorry about that.
Arrow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2003 02:16
No prob, it kinda funny if ya think about it.

Andy Igoe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2003 02:55
What's the fuss about? It's pretty easy to recognise that:

hi, i r writting an mmorg, I need a team, programmer, modeller, muscician, story writer thingy and a kick arse game. it got a gr8 battle system in it and it good game. cant give u money but will make loads and you get paid then.

This sample was brought to you by stereotype(tm) inc. and is the result of over-use of the copy/paste feature.

It is clear that this example would not generate a team, why? Because the ony people dumb enough to join a team request like that is also making an mmorg and "i r needz a team".

Let the infidels bread with each other is what I say, honestly I find those sort of requests amusing and the sarcasm that results - hillarious. Sorry sMs, but I count you in that category too, infact I recently added an extremely thinly disguised sarcastic post to the very thread you where being paranoid about - sorry, but you are nothing but a toy now...

Darwin was a great man.

Pneumatic Dryll, Outrageous epic cleric of EQ/Xev
God made the world in 7 days, but we're still waiting for the patch.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-03 12:44:10
Your offset time is: 2024-05-03 12:44:10