Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Models and Media / Simulating Melee Damage

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Nov 2005 13:32
Some people have posted hints about simulating melee damage by using a grenade without a decal, I can't get this to work out accurately. I am trying to use the colt45 as a base instead.

I used the Map Editor to simulate unlimited reload/ammo for a sword weapon, and have a sword hud and animation. I am still faced with the following issues when using either a grenade or gun as a base:

1) Grenade: I don't want the player to take damage when a weapon hits.
2) Grenade: I don't want to see a projectile. (Is it possible to use an invisible projectile?)
3) Grenade: I don't want to be able to hit something 50 feet away with a sword. How can I reduce the range? Change the Physics Weight?
4) Gun: Don't want range, don't want wall decal (bullet holes)

Any insight is greatly appreciated.
Storm 6000
Years of Service
User Offline
im not really sure but bullshock has foudn a wya to make it work and syas he wil hsare it with us as soon as he had finished a commerical project he is doing with the knowlage

Thanks
Adam
dpharaoh
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2005 15:13
Bump, time to get back to this.

I'm going to try with a handgun as a base if I can get the range down somehow, because on second thought it might not be a bad idea to have knife marks appear as opposed to bullet holes.
dpharaoh
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2005 15:33 Edited at: 23rd Nov 2005 15:58
Ok, feeling pretty silly. Add a range=50 variable to your gunspec.txt to make a very low range weapon (melee weapon). Looking through the source code I see that default weapon range is 1000 if there is no range variable present.

Also, set reloadqty = 0. This will give you unlimited ammo and none will show up in the hud.

[Edit] Setting damagetype = 2 (same as shotgun) is a great way to simulate knockbacks.

Last problems to solve are bullethole decal and sounds.
dpharaoh
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2005 16:43
Well, there were several problems on converting colt45 to hand weapon.

1) Muzzleflash (both meanings)
2) Brass
3) Smoke

1) Setting muzzleflash to 0 just gets it set internally to 1, so that didn't work. What I ended up doing was creating a new gamecore/muzzleflash/flash8.dds which is a completely transparent .dds, then setting muzzleflash = 8 in my gunspec.txt. It still makes a bright flash on the wall/enemies though, so it's not quite right yet. I will study the grenade to see if I can pull in some settings.

2) Didn't want any brass showing up... tried setting brass=0 in the gunspec.txt... but that didn't work. I guess I will need to make a dummy .x file with a tiny tiny model in it that can't be seen. Again, grenade has this built in but the settings don't seem compatible with the weapon type.

3) Didn't want any smoke showing up, so I used the transparent .dds trick again, creating a new smoke3 in gamecore/decals/smoke3. That worked.
Storm 6000
Years of Service
User Offline
nice one great work and thnx for sharing that with us this should be made sticky its very usful, btw jus edit the decal and sound files to make them correct for your new weapon

Thanks
Adam
Disturbing 13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2005 07:44
this is a very good thread and I do believe it dersves a sticky as well since many who want melee weapons can benefit from it.
I do have a few concearns though. WIll the changeing of decals and .x files affect all the other weapons that use them? I mean what if you want the choice of a pistol or melee weapon? I ask this because I'm creating a game that would require both types of weapons and the effects to be intact for the firearms. Other than those concearns I am going with your method.

dpharaoh
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2005 12:33
If I edit *existing* decals and sounds it will affect other weapons. That's why I made new directories for the new smoke, etc.

@Storm 6000: Please clarify. The sounds, of course they are editable in the weapon's folder... but the decals? I'm not sure what you mean..
Storm 6000
Years of Service
User Offline
pehaps you can link your new weapon to different decal files, these are images that im pretty sure are in the gamecore directory somwhere if you dont want to affect another weapon in fpsc change it after you have built your game in your games folder, that is of corse if you cnat just put a new decal in there and relate theat weapon to the different decal, if must be possible because the new segments have different decals to the old ones, althouth looking thta might not be so easy becuase i just noticed al lthe decals are in a bullet holes image, i believe if you took out a decal from this image you game does use and then replace it with your own then adjusted scorch type of somthing likke that in the gun spec it would set to correct, also you could edit the source code so a bigger decal file can be used, i would try it but i am yet to swimm al lthe way through the source code

Thanks
Adam
dpharaoh
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2005 17:05
Ahh, I see now. I have tried using different scorches, but it looks hardcoded in the source. I know some simple source code mods would do it, and I will if I have to.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 08:53:53
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 08:53:53