Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Author
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Nov 2005 02:21
Here it is all tweaked out.

-Keith

"Some people are only alive because it's illegal to kill them".

Attachments

Login to view attachments
transient
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Nov 2005 03:16
Nice.

instinct is more valuable than intelligence.....
dpharaoh
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Nov 2005 11:41
Looking good! Post up the model when you can, and I will generate the files needed to get it ingame.
Baggers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Nov 2005 12:10
Looks quality, maybe the texture could so with a tweak though, doesnt look quite metal'y enough. But modeling wish its a class job.
Do you have a version for throwing ?...I ask this as when youve thrown the grenade there will be no pin in it and the handle will be open.

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Nov 2005 12:47
That would be an animation, unless the object disappeared from view and you heard theound of the pin being pulled. The object/texture file would then switch to a "spoonless" version that you would see thrown.

I will post the model as soon as I can.

-Keith

Baggers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Nov 2005 13:07
Sounds great...yeah I was assuming that the grenade would leave view for the change.
Looking forward to the next pic.

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Nov 2005 16:04
Alright, Dpharaoh, if you put the files together I will try to manipulate the FPE file to import the other models as best I can so that I can finish these models once and for all and release them as a pack. Thanks again.

-Keith

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2005 02:14 Edited at: 24th Nov 2005 02:35
Here you go, dpharaoh. Thanks again.

-Keith

Attachments

dpharaoh
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2005 15:35
Ok, I will post back the correct files today for you.
dpharaoh
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2005 20:23
Keith-

This looks like a static model, did you make any anims for the weapon throw? If not, that's OK, I can still bring this into FPSC.
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2005 23:28
Just a static model, I was hoping to use the same throw animations as the other grenade, if you could. Thanks.

-Keith

dpharaoh
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2005 10:23
Keith-

An update. I am having some trouble bringing the model in. I am not sure exactly what is the problem. I can get it into the editor, get it to show up as a projectile when you throw one, but it doesn't show up as a pickup item on the floor or in your hand once you've picked it up (it's invisible). Still working on it, hoping today to solve problems.
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2005 12:42
Alright, keep me posted.

-Keith

dpharaoh
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2005 16:18
Got the nade in, shows in the editor, skins with the texture properly, flak and hud look ok. I am *not* positive this was the cause, but I believe the texture filename was part of a problem. To be safe, I changed to gun_d2.tga in the model itself.

Last step is to find a way to import the existing 'nade animations and it will be done.
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2005 16:58
I look forward to it. Are you a modeler yourself?

dpharaoh
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2005 17:01
I used to use 3dCanvas and some basic stuff in Swift3d, 3dmax a long time ago. I forget how to use the tools badly over time though, and I am at the point of learning gamespace from the ground up. I downloaded the vid tutorials and haven't cracked them open yet.

So far I can only get things to work pretty well when exporting out of Milkshape.

I am a developer, getting my feet wet in DBPro and FPSC.
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2005 17:40
I use TrueSpace/GameSpace, and Paint Shop Pro 9 primarily (I use Photoshop 7 on occasion). I use Ultimate Unwrap 3D, as it is THE best unwrapper (and file converter) that I have used. I have tried the demo versions of Max, Maya, Lightwave, and XSI; I'm thinking of settleing on 3DSMax in the end though.

This is all I do, just art.

The reason I ask, is because you seem to be the only one who is serious about getting these models of mine out to the general public (I appreciate the help from the others, I just couldn't figure it out completely).

If I can use what you give me to figure out the rest of the models (I'm only looking to get them into the game...scripting them to taste will be the individual users problem); I will be giving you (via e-mail) a bit of a 'present' which will be unavailable to everyone else...as a thankyou. I was going to do this for whoever took the time to get my free models game-ready.

With all the requests for free models, it was baffeling me as to why no one wanted to help out by taking the extra steps needed to get this done.

As such the models I promised to be free will most likely be the last freebies coming from me. I will thereafter make up packs to be sold here and elsewhere. I am planning a rather LARGE pack right now, which I will be working on in December. I am also planning on making a good quality Desert Eagle (with a Chrome and Black finish).

Thanks again, and I look forward to getting this Free Pack released soon (as, I am sure, everyone else is too).

-Keith

Sunflash
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2005 18:14
Hey, I'll make the neccesary files to get your stuff into FPSC. I'll just give them the stuff scripts for the current grenade, I don't know how it will look in the end, but we'll find out I guess! You can emil me the files, or if you don't mind, just upload them here

When FPSC gets good enough, lets make a Redwall game!

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2005 18:17
The files have been uploaded for quite some time now.

-Keith

dpharaoh
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2005 00:29
OK, tonight's the night! Got sidetracked but I will be uploading the files needed to get this baby ingame tonight. It looks sweet!
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2005 01:42
I'll be up for awhile (7:40PM here). Looking forward to it!

-Keith

dpharaoh
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2005 13:25 Edited at: 24th Nov 2005 02:38
Ok, here they are.

The file layout should be exactly as needed to dump into the /files folder.

Attachments

dpharaoh
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2005 13:26 Edited at: 24th Nov 2005 02:38
Also, here is the Milkshape file if you would like to do some better work on the animations.

Attachments

dpharaoh
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2005 14:07
And here is my synopsis about getting this model ingame:

First, I renamed the texture file to gun_d2.tga. the original texture did not show up ingame. I saw a mention it needed to be 8.3 filename, but to not play around I gave it the same name as other working textures on other weapons.

I started with a copy of the ww2 grenade as a base for the files/folders. I did this in gamecore/guns/ww2 and called it kgrenade. I did this in gamecore/flak/ww2 and called it kgrenade. In entitybank, all the objects are in the same folder, so I made a copy of the .bmp, .fpe, and .x of the ww2 grenade as placeholders.

I opened up Milkshape and imported the directx object. I created 2 joints and assigned all the vertexes to the first joint. I also had to reimport the material, as the filename had changed, but the face assignments stayed good.

The first goal was to get an editor, projectile, and ingame pickup object exported, so I centered the object above the axises and exported it with the Directx (JT) exporter using the setting in the attached .bmp that I got out of the Grenade tutorial on these boards.

The pickup/editor/enemy items were exported as vweap.x for the guns folder. I copied the file as projectile.x for use in the flak folder. Another copy was made as kgrenade.x for use in the entitybank folder.

I created a 64x64 bitmap of the rendered object for use in the entitybank folder. A copy of the texture was placed in the flak folder, and renamed to projectile.tga. I converted this also to projectile.dds as this seems to work the best in getting the textures to show up. While I did this, I converted the gun_d2.tga to gun_d2.dds and left it in the guns folder.

Now on to the HUD and animation. After examining the animations for the other ingame grenades, I fooled around with the placement of the object in the HUD. This was frustrating at first because I couldn't see the grenade after I picked it up, then realized I had it placed behind the camera. Note that you can also change the HUD placement in the gunspec.txt for the grenade.

I hit the Anim button and created some keyframes for the idle and throwing positions, rotating the joint slightly for a little movement. I checked the gunspec.txt for the animation frames. There is a lot of improvement to be done here, this anim is pretty basic...

I got out of Anim mode and exported the object as hud.x in the guns folder with the directx(jt) exporter, using the settings in the attached .bmp which, again, I got from the grenade tutorial on these boards.

Remembering that I used a ww2 grenade as a base, I edited the gunspec.txt in the guns folder to point to the correct kgrenade folder and model, and the .fpe in the entitybank folder as well.

That was about it, lots of trial and error to get the hud placement in decent shape.

Tips:
-Always use .dds versions of your textures, keep the .tga textures in the folders as well
-Always use base folders from existing weapons, remember to edit them with the correctpaths and filenames for your new weapon models/textures.

Improvements:
-Could use better animation
-Could try to put in own folder instead of the ww2 folder
-Get the placement of the object in milkshape correct, or you may not see the item in the editor (below the floor) or in the hud (behind/above the camera).
-Could fingure out how to make the hud/ammo graphic transparent

From start to finish this took 1/2 hour to do from an original .x model, after days and days of experiments to get the process right.

Attachments

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2005 16:00
Great! It worked, all I had to do was tweak the bounce and make sure it didn't blow up in my face I appreciate all your work on this. It sure was nice seeing some of my work FINALLY in-game.

This model is for you and me only, Happy Thanksgiving (check your e-mail for it).

-Keith

Attachments

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2005 16:03
Oh yes, and for all those downloading the working grenade...the license is missing, but it still applies:

"You may use this model(and it's components)in any commercial and non-commercial application. You may not post this model(or it's components)anywhere else without my permission. You may not claim it as your own, sell it, or put it(or any part of it)in a package for sale or otherwise."

-Keith

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 15:56:15
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 15:56:15