Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Models and Media / Ninja weapon Throwing stars.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi all I have been creating a set of ninja weapons to go with my ninja. I hve animated an arm throwing the stars and all works well. The problem is I am using the glave gunspec file and flak file my star flies out like the glave then falls and explodes.
I want to change this so the flak object causes damage and doesn't explode!. I have edited these files deleteing everything I can find to do with the explosion effect but they still explode. I have used the colt gunspec file and this works well but I would prefer to have an object that flies and falls with weight from my characters hand.

Thanks again MAKO

3D Artist.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Nov 2005 17:50
Looks good. We used to play Soldier of Fortune 2 on a network, and every once in a while we would make the knife the only weapon available. That was some fun. Would be nice to get my knife to have an alternate mode of 'throw'. Could even have an animation of 'flipping' the knife over to hold it by the blade (saw that in a game somewhere).

Anyways good job on the model, and the hand.

-Keith

"Some people are only alive because it's illegal to kill them".
Dr Pepper
Years of Service
User Offline
Yes looks very nice!!! Now all you need is a katana and your ninja will be the best ever.... it would be nice to have a Stealthy type game where you have to sneak up on the enemy and kill them....

Hmmm i wonder if anyone has made Stealth script or a shadow sripts so you can hide in shadows......hmmm that may be to much...but anyway hand to hand combat is better than useing guns

Anyway this looks very nice
Krazykris
Years of Service
User Offline
That looks excellent MAKO, can you post a video of it in action..I'm curious to see how it animates.

MAKO
Years of Service
User Offline
I can't post a video but I can tell you that it uses the same animation timing as the glave.

;HUD animation frames list

keyframe ratio = 1
select = 0,9 Arm moves up from side into throwing position
Idle = 10,38 throwing position
Move = 39,53 throwing position
start fire = 54,59 Hand\arm animate throwing, star scales to zero
end fire = 59,59 hand drops to get another star
putaway = 60,69 Arm moves down to side

I found there is no point in animating a move as the arm moves when the character walks. I have yet to do an idle anim when the character stands still the arm sways slightly which works. I scaled the star when he trows to simulate the star flying into the distance this should work well when I get the flak problem sorted. The screen shot is of a test model with test texture allot of work to bwe done yet. And yes I am doing a sword!

3D Artist.
dpharaoh
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2005 15:38
Wow! Very nice looking, and congrats on getting it ingame! I would also suggest you try modifying the physics properties in the editor once you have placed the item, it might get you closer to your goal.
MAKO
Years of Service
User Offline
dpharaoh do you mean the properties of the Flak or is there a separate properties for the glave physics for the object that flys from the weapon??. Like I said I removed all reference to the exploding flak from it's txt file but it still explodes I have missed something somewhere

3D Artist.
dpharaoh
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2005 16:29
I mean that once you place the weapon into the map, you can right click on it to access a slew of properties.

If I remember correctly (at work) there is an "Explode On Hit" Property in the editor that can be set to Yes or No. I will fire it up when I get a chance and see if I can narrow it down.
dpharaoh
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2005 16:49
Well, I can set it to not explode, but that makes it do no damage.. I am trying next to modify the explode anim... maybe letting it explode invisibly and without sound would give the effect we are looking for..
dpharaoh
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2005 17:09
Ok, I found what looks like the problem... it seems like the only way to get a thrown weapon to hurt something for now is to use the grenade (explode) weapon type. But the Explode animations and sounds seem hardcoded into the source code. So any explosion will cause the same effect to occur. Same decal series, same base sound.

I feel a possible solution is to modify the source code to allow for a flag which sets the explosion size to be smaller, and also be invisible and silent. I will try to do this, but it won't be a quick fix, I have only been able to modify the ingame font so far

I suggest just skipping this for now, ignore the explosions and move onto the next task until we can modify the engine. A realistic estimate is within the next 5 days for me, I need to wait for the weekend to get more into the source code of FPSC.
dpharaoh
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2005 17:59
Well, I gotta say... eureka!!

My first FPSC Mod is done, I made flag to make grenade explosions invisible

It worked!!!!!! This will enable thrown weapons pretty easily now. I will upload an .exe later
MAKO
Years of Service
User Offline
Sounds great good work I also realised that when I was updating my ninja star item it wouldn't update. Stupidly I forgot to delete the bin file and dbo files that are created by FPS very important if updating files which create these two files. (Mako bangs head on desk)

3D Artist.
dpharaoh
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2005 20:15
Also had to add some stuff in to stop a forceshpere from affecting the player if the weapon is this type of weapon.

re: The bin and dbo files, yes that is effective sometimes, but I saw in the notes for glaive that even the TGC guy was having trouble modifying the resources, and I think that is because the explosion behaviors for sound and decals are in the source code as opposed to reading in from the file.

I can see upon a surface level that explodeinair and explodeonground get read in from the source gunspec.txt and assigned to the flak profile, but never get used in calculating the explosion.

Anyway, I am uploading a modified .exe now, please let me know if it works. I can't turn on my speaker at work so I can't test out stopping the explosion sound.

Make sure you backup your original FPSC-Game.exe before you overwrite it with this one.

http://www.brooklawnstudios.com/FPSC/FPSC-Game.zip
MAKO
Years of Service
User Offline
Nice one dpharaoh it's a shame that the Game creators didn't add a flak type that works without this explosion effect. The weapons that could be created with this would be fantastic.

The ninja star is great as you can fire it and it has weight and it deflects off walls it's just a shame that it then explodes. I will try this new exe now and report back to you how I get on. If any mods are out there I would ask you if this would be taken in consideration for a patch. I think it would be a great feature for the game. The possibiltys would be endless for thrown weapons such as rocks arrows and even tron style disks etc(Maybe this is the wrong place to voice this)

Thanks MAKO

3D Artist.
dpharaoh
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2005 21:29
I know you could add some more bounce around the ninja star and have some fun with it!

I'm sure that given enough time and resources they would've finished up some of this stuff, we are truly lucky that we have the source for the engine to work with. This gives us the ability to add things in that we want! Think of how it would suck if we had to wait an unknown amount of time for new features.

Besides, normal grenades and guns work fine I am hoping to tweak this more to allow more thrown weapons to support medieval style projectiles, as you mentioned.
MAKO
Years of Service
User Offline
I have tried the exe and it crashes saying MFC71.dll was not found. I'm not sure if the UK version of the game differs???? this programming stuff is a bit over my head but i'll keep plugging away. I think the engine is great I suggested the extra flak type to encourage imagination............o and to help me out as I have hit a brick wall

3D Artist.
dpharaoh
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2005 22:25 Edited at: 18th Nov 2005 22:44
Good question... I'll ask around. I have several TGC programs installed... does this .exe work for anyone?
dpharaoh
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2005 19:46
MAKO, someone on the DBP suggested you go and grab the mfc71.dll and place it in your windows/system32 folder. Here is a link to download:

http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-files.shtml?mfc71

Please let me know if the invisexplode=1 works! Put the line in the .fpe for the flak.
Lavitz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2005 22:15
You've got a nice model there, hope to see it up. Amd by the way, you really should make a Katana, it would fit the game.

Cheerio!

I am no noob.
MAKO
Years of Service
User Offline
dpharaoh

when I use the exe I get a different error now saying
Runtime error 118 - array does not exist or array subscript out of bounds at line 2567

3D Artist.
dpharaoh
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2005 15:46
MAKO, did this ever work out for you?
MAKO
Years of Service
User Offline
No I couldn't get it to work.I am going to move on to something else for now thanks for all ya help.

3D Artist.
dpharaoh
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2005 21:56
Ok, when you get back to it let me know, I will be working on miscellaneous edits to the engine and will need throwing knives/stars to work someday too!
MAKO
Years of Service
User Offline
I think it will be one of those trial and error processes to fudge an existing guns file to simulate something like a throwing star. I'll keep you posted.........o and nice sword by the way

3D Artist.
dpharaoh
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2005 22:42
The code modification I made was to use an invisible explosion that produced no sound, and attach it to a projectile. so when the projectile comes in contact with something, it creates a damage force shpere that will not hurt the player.

I could not find a way to do it with just gunspec properties...

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 21:34:36
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 21:34:36