Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Models and Media / Can Segments be Animated?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2005 08:08 Edited at: 23rd Nov 2005 08:10
I've already done a search and found no information, but can segments be animated? If not is there any way of snapping an entity to the grid rather than just placeing it by hand? It's a real pain not haveing a grid snap or not knowing if there is one in existance. I am trying to simulate ocean water waveing, and I have the animation done and ready, but i need a way to set it on my level without haveing to hand place a ton of non lockable objects. I'm going for a seamless look, not a fast haphazardously placed flat animation like the acid decal. If there is another entity that can be placed like a floor panel and be an animated model, please let me know. Thanks ahead of time.

TeMpLaR1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2005 11:53
nope, im very positive that they cant

Forsaken FEw - meh cant b bothered with signature
BULLSHOCK 2
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2005 14:28
you can add entitys in the segment editor, so yes water is possible

Disturbing 13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2005 17:19 Edited at: 23rd Nov 2005 18:19
Well I can get the model and texture in the game as a segment without a problem via my own methods, but what I need to know is what goes in the .fpe file to have it constantly animate. Thanks.

The Hitman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2005 17:24
stop using fpsc & get a real game engine like Torque

If you dont have what it takes to create "Spend Alot Of Money"
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2005 17:32
Already have Torque as well. FPSC is still a useful tool for various endeavors.

-Keith

"Some people are only alive because it's illegal to kill them".
Disturbing 13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2005 18:05
@The Hitman -I admit I do find FPSC not as good I anticipated. It's just more powerful graphics wise than the trash I've been useing. I at least want to crank out one or two games made with it just to feel I have gotten my moneys worth. I already have a game creation system being built to specifications that I will use as my be all end all engine. I accually dont use the normal methods for createing in FpsCreator. I just hit a snag.

uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2005 18:15
Yes I have Torque too and A6 commercial currently and work with all 3 engines. All 3 have benefits one over another - Still I am working largely with FPSC currently as the others much like FPSC are also undergoing some major developments which I await the outcome of. Not sure what is meant by a real game engine anyway. Its what you can acomplish your goal with.

Back on topic...

You can animate anything you like in FPSC - both segments and entities can use .x file entities any way and any of them can contain an animated one. Doors for example. Look at some default animated entity script files to see how the animation data is handled.

Both large area entities and segments can pose some difficulties - due to the tile based system. Segments particularly wont like spanning multiple tile areas so entities are the best option.

Disturbing 13,

Good luck with your water - nice to see someone have a go at this.

Disturbing 13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2005 18:33 Edited at: 23rd Nov 2005 18:38
@uman - Thanks, I can crank out a full game once I get the water going, but without the water I'm stopped being my game takes place on an Island. FPSCreator is powerful enough to handel the models and what I want to do rather easily. What I'm doing is a remake of a level I made in the old Pie GCS (wich couldn't handle what I needed to do), but hey, a tool is only as good as it's user, and I believe I can crank out some decent stuff useing some reworked methods. I'm not needing the water to be like ...water, in fact the player is not meant to even enter the water without taking damage, so I have that covered.
Quote: "Look at some default animated entity script files to see how the animation data is handled."

If you could point me to a basic one in particular that would be real cool, and if all works out, I'de be willing to share the model with the community if it looks right.

=ChrisB=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2005 19:34
Quote: " stop using fpsc & get a real game engine like Torque"

Stop advertising for Tourque!

Your signature has been erased by a mod
The Hitman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2005 20:51
@ =ChrisB=

ill do as i please. buy torque its a real game engine. its not for button pusher's. just visit there site they have the resources,tools,etc

If you dont have what it takes to create "Spend Alot Of Money"
flashing snall
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2005 21:24
disurbing 13, i dont know if this is what you want, but i have a game with alot of acid, i put one down on a segmet so it compltely covers, tke the segment away, then copy that box were the acid is, then paste it to were i want it so it all looks linked together.

dont assune cause u make an ass out of u and me
=ChrisB=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2005 21:45
Hitman, please, I respect your desicisions, but Please dont come into the FPSC forums and try to get us to convert to Tourque. Just because you don't like FPSC doesnt mean that we need the experance ruined.

Your signature has been erased by a mod
flashing snall
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2005 22:48
YA! what celbloc said. besides, i dont want to script alot, i like fps cause its easy, and fun to foll around with.

dont assune cause u make an ass out of u and me
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2005 00:36
If you dont like The Hitman comments just ignore them and they will go away sooner or later if you understand my meaning and I wont answer responses on that it not a question but a statement.

No one disputes capabilities of various engines and everyone is aware of them. What you think we are stupid. Dont answer that either youd be wasting your time.

uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2005 00:45
Disturbing 13,

Quite obviously I do not understand the specifics of what and how you are trying to achieve your animated water, however any entity can be animated and loped continuously in game.

Attached is a basic helicopter.fpi script that I used when testing out the animation properties on a helictopter where the rotor blades require to rotate continuously. This may be useful to users for the same purpose or for your perusal.

You may need to add to, amend or otherwise improve the script for your own purposes but it should get you started.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Deadwords
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2005 01:18
Quote: "Hitman, please, I respect your desicisions, but Please dont come into the FPSC forums and try to get us to convert to Tourque. Just because you don't like FPSC doesnt mean that we need the experance ruined."

He dosen't try to convert you at Torque... Also, it's Torque, not Tourque...another also, Torque is great, but there's also DBPro.

Skalex Production |Website Coming Soon| ChaosZone

uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2005 01:49
You forgot to mention - Torque is hard - (thats for sure) and would be to use for most developers that frequent this forum - if you want to make a complete game with it you will have to jump up a whole level in all aspects of your game making including the spend and probably the number of people you have working on your game, or yo will never see it made.

Like most engines in theory at least it gets easier for indie developers to make games with and Torque 1.4 being due out - well who knows till it does so.

Use what is best for you thats the only way - if you can get the best out of sommething then thats for you.

Despite the limitations FPSC is still currently the easiest tool for making a complete game of reasonable quality.

If you want to make a click and play game quickly FPSC is fine - you wont do it with Torque.

If you dont want click and play and want to make a more original kinda production then use FPSC if it suits you and what you need do and think years.

Use Torque and think many more years.

You pays your money and takes your choice depending on how hard you want to work.

Gamemaking - once you have a gameplan - if you access that you can make your game successfully with any particular engine and have to choose which one then you have to balance the quality of the final production allowed by an engine against investment in rescources.

Irrespective of financial costs in the final analysis it comes down to time and effort for most indies - no time - forget it.

There are many young users at this forum so give yourself about 30 years hard labour and you might get there.

The thought of it.

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2005 01:59
Torque 1.4 just came out today.

"Some people are only alive because it's illegal to kill them".
Disturbing 13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2005 07:14
Yeah I'm not too fond of haveing to have a whole team to create a game. Call me old but I'm from a time where most game creators wrote and produced the art for a game and it was a more enjoyable experience because of it. So I will stick to my one man click and create systems thankyou. Like I said, the tool is only as good as the user. I could buy Torque, but since Im a creator, not a coder it would only collect digital dust on my harddrive. FPSCreator suits my needs for now. Back on subject-
@uman - Ironicly that script is exactly what I need considering my model has ...40 frames, 0-39. lol and I do need it to play an ocean sound, but what I need to know is how do I get the FPE that controls the segment that I placed to use this script.
@flashing snall- Thats cool for animateing a flat surface but this is accual 3d waves rising and falling, but what you described will be great to use in the next level that I will be working on after this one that requires a stream in a sewer, so its not what I was looking for but it solved a future problem so thanks!

Disturbing 13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2005 09:06
@uman-ok as it turns out, I'm pretty decent at placeing entities so they tile well, so now I just have to apply your script to the entity and I should be in bussiness. where do I place the command? I tried in aimain = , but to no avail. Sorry I'm not a script man.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 12:56:06
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 12:56:06