Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

3 Dimensional Chat / Converting 3DS to X

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Oct 2002 14:41
How do I convert .3ds to x format so that I can use it in Dark Basic Build 1.12? Also does anyone know how to draw character skins? Could you give me tips on how to do this?

Thanks in advance,
SEPHIROTH
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Oct 2002 15:06
Why are you not using 1.13? has some important upgrades for OS compatiblity, and a bug which was accidentially placed within 1.12 - hehee

That aside, why not simply load the 3DS model?

Apart from my kinda bafflement over this actual question, there is a program within the tools directory of db which converts all .3ds to .x which are in the directory (pending a yes/no question) there is also a command within DB/DBpro
3DS2X "[input name]","[output name]"

[b] New interactive driving system... i like my new blue and black steering wheel [b]
actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Oct 2002 15:46
I think they didn't include the 3ds2x function in DBPro.

CD On CD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Oct 2002 19:49
would be NICE if they DID include the 3DS - X export in Pro huh? maybe in the next upgrade???? hint, hint

United We (Still) Stand
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2002 13:32
really... hmm - odd to know, but he said db 1.12 which i'm sure does have it
well if it isn't there give me a few days i'll ask a friend to work on a quick dll converter.

[b] New interactive driving system... i like my new blue and black steering wheel [b]
Tapewormz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2002 21:26
Download MilkShape3D and evaluate it for 30 days. It's an awesome program for developing 3D for videogames. It's 20$ in US dollars to buy. There is very excellent support and it supports all popular 3D formats used in videogames. It will convert 3DS to Direct X with ease.

CD On CD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2002 20:20
there's another program that will convert many, many types of formats to and from .X formats

try iy @ http://www.quick3d.com
this is only a program that allows you to VIEW many of the formats as well as CONVERT them (it's not a modeller)

hope that helps

United We (Still) Stand
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2002 01:32
Deep(Exploration is a very intense tool for converting and such http://www.righthemisphere.com
also try to find Win3D as it converts most 3D formats and is free - newest version crashes less

Holy jumping mother of god NOOOO!!!...
Ahem I mean, I'll think about it
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2002 08:07
if u own DB1 then use this script to batch convert a whole folder of them

no website at moment
Tapewormz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2002 21:30
Deep Exploration is pretty cool. However it's also very expensive. MilkShape3D is very inexpensive. All the Right Hemisphere products are very very cool! They're unfortunatly, very very very expensive. 800$ US a pop! Deep Paint 3D is still very buggy. I've used the trials of their software, but I can't afford it.

Tapewormz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2002 21:35
PS. I try to provide people with an affordable means of converting/designing 3D formats. Not the most expensive/warezy ways. From what I've seen, alot of people here (and I'm assuming) are using cracked warez of discreet/right hemisphere/and other products. There's no way that they'd be able to fork out thousands of dollars on 3D applications if they're buying DarkBasic or DarkBasic Pro. Forgive my skeptisism, but it's highly unlikely. LOL. LMAO! HAHAHAHAHA!

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2002 21:35
i've had deep(exploration for ages, and yeah $299 seem'd a lil high for it - but it has grown alot since the name change and can do alot of editing within it.
they have a demo on the demo CD of DB 1.08 which actually contains an never ending trial of it as long as you can put up with the popups

Deep Paint 3D is quite amazing, but must be pluged into Lightwave to get the full effect of it

Oh i know indi - i'll shove a quick gui on that and export and an exe ... just gotta tear myself away from maya for more than a sec ....

Tapewormz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2002 21:57
Oh, and as Raven V suggested there's also Win3D. It's free, and supposed to be good. I haven't tried it myself yet, but he says it's very good.

Tapewormz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2002 22:01
Hey Raven,

I hear that Maya is great for character modelling and organic modelling. Then on the other hand, I hear that it's not very good for low poly modelling. Is this true? Have you used Maya extensively? I'm just looking for opinions. I haven't downloaded a demo of Maya yet, but I've been looking at reading materials on their website.

Tapewormz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2002 22:04
Crap, I gotta learn to stick all my thoughts into one message. I'm also looking for a good a good UV mapper/unwrapper. I can't afford Deep UV.

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2002 23:17
Lithunwrap 1.3 is good, probably the best shareware one.
Fileplanet has it...

Maya is good all round, those who find fault or put it down never really give it a chance - like trueSpace.
If you don't know what your doing then yes it is piss poor for low polygon, however in that repects it is very much like Milkshape.
You will need to take ALOT of time to learn it properly, however is very well supported by the company with very quick returns on any questions - plus the forums are very friendly and welcoming.

The thing that the MayaPLE has over Gmax mainly in respect to features is that it is FULL Maya3 Complete (not unlimited, but most people will never need that version) - just watermarks the renders
Any plugin marked for Maya3 you can use ... not tried them all but right after PLE came out i finally got my new licence through for Maya4 and upgraded it
The power, control and tools are without fault... however it does require a powerful PC

Just in case peeps are wondering why putting a graphical front to indi's code is taking so long - i'm compiling an entire gui library and setting up functions, as i think they'll help me later on - using Darkbasic.co.uk (pixtudios) style ... probably add Win9x and WinXP libraries later if i can be bothered

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 11:03:48
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 11:03:48