Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Models and Media / animation and exporting model problem

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2005 12:10
Hi using dbpo

I have been trying for some time now to animate a model i have.
I can export it from .max format with no problem into .x 3ds obj and no matter what i try i cannot seem to animate it and the cockpit is not transparent.
if anyone could export it for me and tell me how they did it i would be very greatfull. If you like the model feeel free to use it they are free to be redistibuted

on a lighter not hve have dozens of weapon models characters ships tanks airplanes lighs anf furnature. if you would like to have these models i was thinking about putting up a sie where you could brows and download them all if you woul lke this please just leave me a note. cause im not realy sure if anyone needs models that badly. all freely distributable. most are in .max format but i can export them into about 30 or more other formats i needed.

A child's dream never dies.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
smerf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2005 14:40
my bad i though this was discussion for models. didnt read the fpsc part lol. im an idiot sry guys. help still wanted though.

=ChrisB=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2005 05:37
Quote: "A child's dream never dies."

No they never seem to, do they? Hey, could you send some of your better models to undrgrndtw2@adelphia.net, please? Sorry, cant help with your question.

Your signature has been erased by a jealious mod.
smerf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2005 04:56
What kind of models are you looking for? and what format?

Dr Pepper
Years of Service
User Offline
hey im looking for some models too im looking for any lowpoly cars or people or weapons just anything
=ChrisB=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2005 05:59
Format should be x or 3ds, and types... charichters, tanks and uns. Also, are they royaltee free?

Are you about to rock?

Then [b]I SALUTE YOU!!!
smerf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2005 11:00
hmm it seems that a few people are in need of models.
i guess stating tomorrow i will bein a small site with downloadable models for everyone. cant promis that all will have textures or be animatable. yes they are all royalty free.
i work over 40 hours a week so i cannot promis it will be real soon but i will try as hard as possible. Also im thinking of starting huge texture library and good model apps all free to put on the site.
Anyone know the name of a good free host? with lots of bandwith per month?
I will put them in .x and 3ds format for all of you and try to get a preview of the model in a pixel perfect enviroment.

model consist of
tanks submarines airplanes bullets guns cars people helecopters
lamps lights signs furnature coutches tables sofas tables sinks cabinets gun emplacements animals concept models game levels buildings and many many others ect. hope to get it up asap
all royalty free so some of the models might not be the best
most are low poly

TeMpLaR1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2005 08:31
the best thing to do is use a free hosting site such as geocities or something but host the files on a filebase site like savefile

http://savefile.com or filefront
http://www.filefront.com

Joh
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2005 16:27
I got it working. Im using max7.5(sp1) and the Panda DirectX Exporter. Loaded into DBPro5.8. Initially the model would load but would not display.(I used the Statistic() command to tell me if the object loaded.) I embarked on a series of tests to figure what was happening, I tried so hard to be systematic about it but alas..... I got lost in fixing so many things that I can't really tell if only one thing fixed it or a combination of things. I'll explain.

As a game model, to be used in a game beyond just testing, this thing is insane. It had so many things wrong with it and I got caught up with fixing those things (well the quick ones anyways ).

The most glaring thing is of the course the 50k polygons. But that aside, here's a quick list of things that may cause issues if used in a game.

1. Maxfile unit setup is in meters. The object scale is huge.Its about a km long.

2. The models position and rotation in relation to its axis and the world axis is offset/skewed by alot.

3. Model is split up to 40+ individual objects.

But then hey maybe you want to use it for some 3d multimedia thingy showcasing the apache or something and require the detail, or for some reason just want it all like that. So I focused on just doing all the things that I could think off to fix, to get it loaded. So here's what I did.

1. Changed materials. Some of the materials applied to the heli are meant for raytrace shaders. I removed all these and just applied a standard material. As for the translucent cockpit, I would just appply a texture with an alpha.

2. I applied a reset xform to all the objects. Some of the objects had inverted normals I just flipped them. The prop scaled down (probaly a non-uniform scale was used) so I scaled it backup.

After I had done this it would only display if it was exported as a static mesh but not as an animation. Note it was loading, just not visible.

3. Last step was, I selecte the fuselage and attached all the non-moving parts to make a single objects. So I had only 2 objects in the scene. The body and the rotating props. Exported, and viola! Apache64 with rotating blades. I also noticed the animation had 200 frames with a keyframe on at each end rotating the blades about 1000 degrees. I cut it to 30 frames and set rotation to 720. Looks about the same.

Hope this helps.
smerf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2005 23:33
ty joh when you are done working on it could you post it please.
I would attempt to follow what you did but unfortunatley im not that familiar with 3ds max. i have 3ds max 7 witht he panda exporter as well buit could not get the same results as you.
I moslty use it for testing exporting and animation. more or so a graphic art tool i use caligari gamespace milkshape maya and few other simple programs for most of my building. 3ds max is a litte involved if you know what i mean well not anymore than maya but i have had much more practice with it than max.
ty for the help
i should have a the basic index of my site up on the 8th i think with a few downloadble models and textures hope to add a few every day untill there all there i really dont have alot of free time. but glad to spend it helping. im currently also working on a very large progject that i can hopefully have out in a few months i think it will be of gereat use to newcomers and even very advance proggramers

Joh
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2005 04:37
Here's the max file that I ended up with. The exported .x file works but is a whopping 6mb - not included in the download .

If you want to use this as a gameobject, it really needs to be remodelled. I would reorient the object ,then use it as a 3d template to build a low polygon version over it.

Im pretty much settled on using max. Im trying to get into gamespace as its affordably priced and I used truespace, way back version 1. I can't get my head around Maya.. But thinking of getting back into lightwave as I also used that, up to 5.6

Anyhoo. This thread should be dead, and it is sorta in the wrong place. If you need more help or pointers with this model or any others, post in the 3 Dimensional chat. Be glad to help out.

Attachments

Login to view attachments

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-02 09:08:43
Your offset time is: 2024-05-02 09:08:43