Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Models and Media / Character Help, Fragmotion, DirectXtool

Author
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2005 19:48 Edited at: 6th Dec 2005 19:53
I am trying to work with characters for FPSC wanting to use some of my own and have something of a problem.....

Using a default FPSC model as a test piece - ColonelX - I have been testing using a copy of that FPSC character to see if I can successfully open it in FRAGMOTION and save it back for use in FPSC but cant get it to work.

Seems fine when opened in FRAGMOTION or opening it in Microsofts DirectX tools. The problem seems to be when saving back to .x file from either of those programs seemingly making working with any new character model in those programs not worth following up till I can get a fix so any help is appreciated.

Using the resultant new copy of ColonelX in FPSC - I can place the character fine in editor and it appears to be correct - right click and go to 3D view and the model looks to be perfectly fine - I dont get any error messages or anything of that nature. So all looks good.

However when I test run the editor the character does not render at all - I only see a character shadow and what appears to be one untextured bone - this seems to be an errnous file object though I may be wrong. What happens to the character I have no idea.

I have tried saving out as text format .x file then converting that way to binary compressed but no matter thus far which programs or what methods or settings I use to convert - the result is the same in FPSC so these programs dont seem to export or save correctly as FPSC wants to have it.

I attach two screen shots to clarify whats happening.

Any help would be very much appreciated as either I am completely stupid or I have a major problem.

Thank you.

Shot 1. In editor 3D view

Attachments

Login to view attachments
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2005 19:50
Shot 2. In editor - level test run.

Any ideas whats happening here?

Attachments

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2005 20:19
That looks like the exact problem someone else here was having...
I forget who though.

-Keith

"Some people are only alive because it's illegal to kill them".
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2005 20:28
Thanks for that - I did a search but could not find anything helpful.
DOMRAY
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2005 20:53
its doing it to me to still cant find out why .if i do get it i will let you know .some more people with the same case as us http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=66196&b=24

let he who is with out sin cast the first stone.
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2005 01:11
DOMRAY,

Thank you for that link - content is suggestive that there is no fix as no one seems to have one.

It seems that again with FPSC this is another severe restriction to game development with the program.

Personally I cant understand for the life of me why a game engine developers should make things as difficult as posiible for users which is the case in many areas with FPSC. Why not use a generally availble compatible x.file format I dont understand. Again as with other things FPSC is the hardest program I have ever seen in the indie world to get such things into. Its like heres a game engine but we'll make it as hard as possible for you to utilise your own content.

transient
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2005 02:29
Fragmotion seems to have some problem exporting FPSC's characters in .x and .dbo formats.

It also doesn't import the .dbo files correctly.

This only applies to the models supplied with FPSC and not custom models, as far as I can work out.

For instance, I don't seem to have any problems converting psionic's models for FPSC with Fragmotion, or bringing in my own stuff, although it was definitely not fun to have to learn it myself.

Maybe a polite question on the fragmotion forums will clear things up. He's pretty helpful.

I suspect the fact that TGC use Max to make their models is responsible in some way for these issues.

Expecting users of FPSC to own Max (or I guess "own" Max) to generate custom content is probably the only thing which has caused me to doubt whether TGC are in touch with their target audience.

Perhaps if we're a bit patient these issues will sort themselves out in the hopefully near future.

instinct is more valuable than intelligence.....
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2005 03:36 Edited at: 7th Dec 2005 03:37
I can fully understand TGC comments made in the past regarding this difficulty.

FPSC is thought of I presume as being specked as a click and play engine not by and large made to accomodate the needs of forum users but the mass audience of general public users who have little interst in inserting their own content. I thought that was their said target audience.

I guess we cant complain about choosing to use an engine thats not designed to acommodate our ambitions though I had originally thought that the intended inclusion of an entity editor was an opportunity to make things somewhat easier for all users.

I dont see much happening currently from TGC so it looks like some workaround or at the end of the day I cant make a game with FPSC.

Not much option really you cant have an FP Shooter without enemies.

uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2005 06:20 Edited at: 7th Dec 2005 06:21
I have isolated the root cause of this problem to the .dbo file created when you first use a new character entity in your level - This I can say as if I copy the original colonelX .dbo file from its original folder to the new character folder everything works fine. The new .x file then has no influence it seems

FPSC it seems gets its info for in game characters from the .dbo files - so I really cant see what the .x files are used for inside FPSC anyway. What on earth they do or what purpose they serve is beyond me now? None it seems to me. This seems to be proven by the fact that if I create and use a totally new character entity looking nothing like colonelX and use the original colonelX .dbo renaming it to my new character when I test the level the actual model looks like colonelX and my model is replaced although my new characters texture is displayed - so whats the point of .x files at all? - looks like we should be using .dbo characters full stop.

Of course that makes it difficult I presume for TGC to work in MAX to make their characters with.

Using a .dbo file output from FRAGMOTION does work partially if you use that and the characters appear in level test run - though the textures are missing (no co-ords I presume) and the animations get messed up as FRAGMOTION saves the .dbo files with a single animation instead of multiple ones which seems to mess things up. More experimentation needed there.

Now all I need is a way to create credible .DBO files from an external program or have a fix from TGC.

transient
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2005 06:46
It would be great if TGC or some third party had a separate tool for importing meshes and converting them to .dbo.

Something along the lines Serious Sam's SKA studio or Freedom Forces's character tool would be great.

It's my understanding that the .dbo format has been updated a few times, so maybe the one Fragmotion uses is obsolete and that's what causes the errors.

uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2005 07:37
Sound like thats more than likely but I dont see why that should be relevant as what we need from an external program is the .x file - FPSC then creates the .dbo file from it which in this case seems to be incorrectly or the .x files themselves are not compatible with FPSC.

I have tried converting all formats of .x file in a load of convertors and FPSC treats them all the same. The .x file should have a standard and FPSC should use that standard I would have thought. But maybe thats not the problem anyway - who knows.

I will keep trying if any ideas come to mind - all out at the moment - run out of programs to run .x files through.

uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2005 08:13
I have some progress - heres two shots of a nasty looking enemy character from the game that I can successfully get into the level. Seems to be animated OK as he looks around fine though I have not set his animatin frame specs in script.

First shot in 3D Editor viewport

Attachments

uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2005 08:18
Now the problem shot - it seems I now have just the texture missing which seems to be down to the .dbo file not having texture cordinates for some unknown reason - the .x file viewed extrnally in Deep Exploration or any other shows the texture fine.

This may be a similar problem others have had with textures missing.

Anyone know of how to open and get texture co-ords working on a .dbo file. If I open the .dbo in FRAGMOTION the texture is correct.

Only FPSC dont like it.

Shot 2 in level test run

Attachments

TeMpLaR1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2005 10:34
are you using a .tga file for the texture

coudl try using a .dds file , dunno if it iwll hlep but its worth a shot

uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2005 16:09 Edited at: 7th Dec 2005 16:10
Tried both - same result. I dont get problems with textures generally never had anything with a missing texture - the enitity just does not have the correct texture info embedded in it I recon.

I have one more Idea to try but hold out no hope .
Anuther1
Years of Service
User Offline
Have you tried using a 3ds model and running the 3ds to .x converter listed in this forum section?
I must confess that I am waiting for someone else to find the straight forward solution to this issue. You would think someone at TGC would come to the rescue.
Simon
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
I feel I should clear things up a little here.
As someone mentioned, you can successfully import your own models and media into FPSC in X and dbo format without using Max, problems occur when you try and alter the existing characters using different software. So you only need Max if you want to hack the characters I designed.

I am a self-employed artist contracted by TGC. To be productive, I need to use the best tools available to me - in this case 3d Studio Max. In a production environment when your livelyhood depends on it you absolutely cannot rely on £20 modelling solutions, they're just not up to it.

There was no decision made by TGC on what would be the best modelling software for the job. Max was used because I was contracted to produce artwork and I did that in the best and quickest way I know how.

I am happy to release the Max files of all of the characters to anybody who requests it - but please do realise that they can only be opened by 3ds Max with character studio.

To all those that still want 3ds Max but can't afford it, I suggest you try and enroll at the Game Design Degree or Animation Degree at Solent University in Southampton where a copy of 3ds Max is given to all Students who require it (I'm sure other courses do the same, but this is where I lecure occasionally so forgive the plug)
LostSoul54
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2005 20:49
I would love to get my hands on the Max files for all of the characters, Simon. Where can we get them?

Thank you

It's easy not to get lost when you have no idea where you are going
Deadwords
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2005 23:20
The stickys are not there for nothing...
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=62338&b=24

Skalex Productions| Website Finished (click on banner) | ChaosZone
LostSoul54
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2005 23:29 Edited at: 9th Dec 2005 23:31
@Skalex

If those are the files Simon was referring to...yes I have a faint idea that's what stickys are for. I have been using the .bip file since it was released. He mentioned the Max files, which I assumed he was referring to the fully rigged AND skinned Max characters. If I am wrong, all of your sarcasm aside, I will withdraw the question to Simon

Labmonkey
Years of Service
User Offline
uman 7th Dec 2005 01:13: How did you get the .x file to convert that time?
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2005 07:15
Simon,

Quote: "I am happy to release the Max files of all of the characters to anybody who requests it - but please do realise that they can only be opened by 3ds Max with character studio"

I would certainly be more than pleased to recieve even one especially if it would mean even only a single complete Character we could work with as a basis for our own Characters. Thats a more helpful base from which users could start I would think and a great suggestion. What I would have hoped that TGC would have considered and now have.

Please can you confirm how we might request the recieving of the same.

Thank You

LostSoul54
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2005 19:29
That's two requests for the Max files, Simon. Anyone else want the files? The more, the merrier

Joh
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2005 23:10
Yes please

Thank you.
transient
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2005 01:41
I'm not entirely sure what you would learn from the max files that you can't already see from opening up these files in Fragmo.

I guess it would make it easier for the max users to bring in their own models, which is a good thing.

All I personally would like is a decent q&a session (maybe in the new year?) about character and weapon importation, as I'm having some trouble reverse engineering what I see in Fragmo.

I never would have gotten characters into Serious Sam without this kind of help.

Armoured slug
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2005 04:41
Here, here!!
I would like the max files as well if pos, please.

I'm in the same boat and still having a good look for the paddle!!

Cheers....
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2005 00:33
Everyones in the same position - If you dont have the original files and the required Max support software the difficulty is getting any FPSC animated Character into or back into FPSC.

Particularly difficult perhaps even not possible with new non TGC supplied Characters and No Max support as the .x file and/or the .dbo files are problematical and some incompatibilites it seems exist between current version FPSC and other programs interpretations of the file formats.
=ChrisB=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2005 02:55
Uman! Your smiely! Where is it?

Are you about to rock?

Then [b]I SALUTE YOU!!!
LostSoul54
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2005 17:04
bump for Simon

uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2005 17:28
Labmonkey,

Quote: "uman 7th Dec 2005 01:13: How did you get the .x file to convert that time?"

Actually since that time I have successfully gotten a new character model into FPSC - a robot with texture - though that texture is messed up and not correctly UV mapped in FPSC when it is when viewed in all other progs. Thats a minor thing which could be corrected - the important thing is to get a method of successfully getting new animated characters into FPSC via a system which is relatively straight forward so that all users can benefit - not just a few.

Unforunately for those who follow my threads at the forum you will see that while working on that model testing FPSC took itself out - killed itself stone dead - and it has not worked at all since. Thus I am now of very little help with this issue or any other for that matter as I can proceed with FPSC at all - it just wont test run anything at all. I am stuck in 3 editor view which is of no use whatsoever.

I can say that the new animated robot I got in before the fatal crash was imported to Fragmotion where a skeleton was made - vertexes attached appropriately and an Idle position animation consisting of 25 frames only was applied. Exported as .x file this appeared perfect in all other progs as said and imported to FPC fine except for the texture mapping prob. It worked fine the day I did it - next day while attemting to apply a new scritpt to the robot character so as to animate the idle frames it worked for a short while then all of a sudden FPSC died. Cant say definately it have anything to do with the script but I think so - FPSC seemed to dislike completely the new scripts location which was in a non default folder but one I use sucessfully nevertheless for upadated default characters - in this particular case it did not seem to want to play and took its bat and ball home - permenantly - so be warned. If FPSC gets a bit grumpy - dont argue - let it have its way lest you too might end up with no FPSC to work with.

Hope that helps a little.

transient
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2005 01:38
I'm not sure if this helpful, but I posted in another thread about a regscrub type app called CCLeaner which might help you.

My machinations have killed FPSC as well but using this program let me reinstall it without a problem.

uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2005 06:23 Edited at: 15th Dec 2005 06:28
transient,

Thanks for that - yes I had thought about using a removal tool and will do so eventually if I get no other result.

Still I am even more concerned that this and similar errors noted by others which it seems prevent some users from using the product successfully - posts which have occured occasionally over a long period since EA launch concerning issues unadressed by the developers. I am not sure there is any official feedback on this problem or any other for that matter so I have contacted TGC to see if they can provide any advice - this as I would like to know as I am sure some other users would - if known, why this occurs? what is likely to be the root cause and what can be done if anything to avoid repitition in future as one does not particularly wish to be engaged in such disruption of development for any length of time unecessarily.

I await a reply.

Luckily I have some possibility of an option. I have more than one computer and have currently installed on FPSC another machine so that I can get myself up and running - the difficulty is in transferring everything (work in progress) then onto the new installation and hopefully not having something there that will cause the same error on both machines.

At least that way I can get up and running again unless something goes badly wrong.

If that can be achieved successfully then I would remove the original installation, reinstall and again transfer back everything once confirmed as credible on the second machine. This takes time and Ive been down a couple of days - more to do and another couple of days at most will see me back to normal - hopefully

No one needs this to occur and it should not so I would be grateful if TGC could provide some advice and help to myself and those other users having some difficulty with these fatal crashes in terms of how it may be avoided now and hopefully a fix in time.

uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2005 20:26 Edited at: 15th Dec 2005 20:27
OK - so I have found the answer to this problem.

The reason for the Runtime Error 101 crash has nothing that I can see to do with my new character itself at all.

It has to do with its script file.

If I apply for eaxmple the passive script to the character or another for that matter the level runs OK.

Now if I save that passive file and give it another name (robot1.fpi) so that I can use it and apply to the new robot character the level crashes.

As long as that new script file exists in an FPSC folder the level wont run - the content of the new script file has no changes made to it - its exactly the same just with another name - FPSC will however have none of it and refuses to accept it existance.

Whats that all about then?

Help from TGC would be appreciated as would any help or advice from any user experiencing similar problems.

Otherwise it seems I cannot see how I can get new characters into FPSC - unless I use default scripts and no other - if thats the case how on earth does one write new AI scripts to extend its capabilities? unless by ovrewriting the existing default scripts - which is not a good idea.

Can anyone who has new characters inserted into FPSC successfully say if they use default or user created scripts? as if they can achieve it with new scripts theres something else wrong my end.

Your help is appreciated.

Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2005 02:10 Edited at: 16th Dec 2005 02:12
@ Simon
Quote: "
I am happy to release the Max files of all of the characters to anybody who requests it - but please do realise that they can only be opened by 3ds Max with character studio."

Yes, please.
Thank you Simon.

@transient
Quote: "
This only applies to the models supplied with FPSC and not custom models, as far as I can work out.

For instance, I don't seem to have any problems converting psionic's models for FPSC with Fragmotion, or bringing in my own stuff, although it was definitely not fun to have to learn it myself."

Couldn't someone make an emulation of the FPSC animations with Fragmotion?
Then they could use your new rig for exporting their meshes with FragMotion.

Whatever you can imagine, you can animate. --- Walt Disney
All too easy. --- Darth Vader
Just do it! --- Nike
Rockdrala
Years of Service
User Offline
I would the Autodesk 3d Studio Max Files as well. as for the Script, ITS CRITICAL that FPSC will let me add new scripts, becuase I intended on adding enhancments to the the AI

Those who fly low hurt least when they fall...
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2005 07:41 Edited at: 18th Dec 2005 07:41
Are there any other users that have gotten a successfully animated Character into FPSC using Fragmotion?

I have a Fragmotion Character inside FPSC and have a difficulty getting the animations to play inside FPSC - difficulty in as much as they dont play or only play in part seemingly. i.e. cant be sure whats going on.

Could be many reasons, timing, my script or indeed it could be that FPSC just does not recognise Fagmotion animations with any degree of compatibility.

If anyone has a done this successfull and has an animated Framotion Character working in FPSC could they confirm this as then I would know its something I am doing wrongly.

Anyone know what the first character animation anim0 ("Spawn") actually is supposed to be or do if anything at all - whats its porpose in being animated or listed as an animation anyway? Is it a prerequisite for any reason?

TGC, Simon, anyone help?

If one person can do this it may help the community out here and help is badly needed.

bond1
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Couldn't someone make an emulation of the FPSC animations with Fragmotion?
Then they could use your new rig for exporting their meshes with FragMotion.
"

I've done better than that. Check my thread http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=67307&b=24

I've converted the entire animation sequence to ms3d format which can be opened in fragmotion. The entire FPSC animations sequence is there along with a few new sequences. Even the firespot tag is there, which you need to have in order for a character to hold a weapon.
gps
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2005 09:17
Uman

I've just managed to get a character out of FPSC and back in again using a combination of Fragmotion and Milkshape 3D

Launch Fragmotion (after updating with latest DirectX and Milkshape import/exporters)

Import AIKO.x

Export as Milkshape 3D

Launch Milkshape 3D

Load AIKO.ms3d

Click on Materials tab

Delete material called FLAGS

Click on Groups tab

Delete group called FLAGS

Alter mesh with Move and tool (Scale tool may be safe as well, haven't tested it yet)

Export as DirectX (JT) mesh

Export settings: Position scaling - 1
Format - DirectX Skin and Bones
Binary - yes
Animation Time Factor - 0
Animation Set Name - Anim-1

The alteration in the attached screenshot is crude - but I just wanted to make a change in Milkshape 3D that would be obvious if the model loaded.

As I said, I only got this worked out last night, so I don't know what can and can't be done to the mesh in Milkshape 3D without jeopardising the UV coordinates or the animation rig, but it's a start.

More when I have it...

Cheers

- Graham

Attachments

uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2005 09:38 Edited at: 18th Dec 2005 10:54
gps,

Thank you very much for that - all imformation from users is helpful and vital as theres nothing official to support us users trying to crack this issue.

I will look at your info in detail as I will need to look at FPSC default charactes in depth.

Right now I am trying to look at getting completely new characters into FPSC and am using a robot character rigged and animated in Framotion.

With that I have a number of problems. Texture UV - Not a concern at the moment. Vertex attachment - a looks fine in Fragmotion and Deep exploration and other .x file viewers but is incorrect in parts in when seen in FPSC so I need to learn how that can be overcome - obviously some incopatiblity there between the way other progs and FPSC reads the bones/vertex attachments. I have two animations on the model idle 1 - 25 frames and walk 26 - 60 frames and this shows up animated correctly in Fragmotion and DP again but not in FPSC. I can get all animation frames to work in FPSC but only all as anim1 set in the fpe as anim1 = 1,120 frames. Twice the number of frames as the entity actually has. Setting it as 1,60 frames only places half the animation - weird -mand of course this way the entity plays all of the animation frames - idle and walk when at ile which is not whats required.

So all in all rather messed up and confusing.

Not sure whats going on other than FPSC does not read the entity info correctly apparently.

New Characters and Default existing ones are a differnt matter and I will have a look athe default ones too shortly to see what i can achieve there.

Thanks again for your info and help which is very much appreciated. help for one is help for all.

Cheers

EDIT :

This is the best news for FPSC for some time and should be made sticky.

It works - I had to take out the reference to the second texture in Milkshape I guess you referrred to which was the default max material without texture - leaving only the one true entity texture required to get it to show up in FPSC.

I had been using Milshape previously obviously erronously with the Directx 8 exporter and that had not worked - the JT exporter following your export settings - does.

Everything seems to be correctly working inside FPSC.

Attached is a picture of an in level screen shot showing and amended and reskinned default character with helmet taken away in Fragmotion before the export to Milkshape. - Works perfectly in FPSC.

Also shown in the shot is the New Robot Character I was working on and exporting from Fragmotion - now exprted and saved following the same procedure as the other Character. The robot animations now play correctly in FPSC too - although the timing of them needs fixing and the entity mesh and texture UV is still incorrect. These are matters separate from the export procedure which are down to me and not the procedure and dont indicate a failing of the method. I think we can therefore say that with further testing we should be ableto get completely new Characters into FPSC this way.

I will keep the thread updated as I test this further in an attempt to prove the case.

I am indebted to you for your kind post and the sharing of your findings and trust this will mean hope for all users wishing to utilise their own Character content in FPSC.

Really great news for all.

Thank you

Attachments

gps
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2005 22:13 Edited at: 19th Dec 2005 22:15
Uman

Further experiments with Milkshape... see attached screenie

From left to right...

Aiko 1 - Baggy Trousers. Basic use of move/scale tools to create a specific effect, in this case widening Aiko's trousers just above the knee to make them look baggier. The texture is a WIP stealth-suit type of thing.

Aiko 2 - Headless! A test to see if deleting part of the mesh would mess up the UV mapping of the remaining mesh. It doesn't

Aiko 3 - Balloon Head. A test to see if a new piece of geometry could be added and connected to the existing animation rig. The new geometry has no useable UV's, but you can tell from the basic sphere mapped texture that she was looking slightly to her right when I took the screen cap.

The obvious practical application of the Aiko 3 test would be adding a new head, new hairstyle, helmet etc. Assuming that I can get the new geometry UV mapped correctly, that is.

Still early days, but the .x mesh is looking pretty robust and the UV issues seem promising. Next step is to see if I can import new geometry with correct UV mapping into Milkshape and bolt that onto a character.

Cheers

- Graham

EDIT

You beat me to it LOL

I composed this post without checking the thread first. Seems like we both spent yesterdays mutilating FPSC characters.

This is excellent news all round - the potential for brand new characters from about £50 of shareware! Plus the possibility of making extensive modifications to the stock figures.

I love the little robot guy - though I would guess he isn't so loveable when you meet him in the game.

BTW, the second texture in Milkshape seems to come from the firespot for the weapon. There's a firespot bone attached to a single firespot polygon. Milkshape reads this single polygon as a second mesh group and assigns a default texture to it. You now have two textures, which means FPSC will throw a fit and ignore both of them.

Time for more experiments...

Attachments

uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2005 01:17 Edited at: 20th Dec 2005 05:10
gps,

Thanks for that nice to see some progress here.

I have re-rigged the Robot Model now in Milkshape instead of Fragmotion and now have the texture correctly UV mapped - final thing now is to see if I can re-animate successfully in Milkshape without mesh distortion inside FPSC as it tends to see things differently from all other viewers of .x files which sometimes show no distortion when FPSC does - this is mainly with new character meshes of course - not so much perhaps with default rigged and meshed characters with animations attached.

Animate this robot successfully is the last hrdle to get correct and that really would prove that both default and new characters can be gotten into FPSC successfully without resort to massively expensive investment in high end software and that can only be good for all.

I will let you know how that goes. Keep up the good work

Actually the Robot was only a test character as he differs quite a bit from a standard human character shape - though I had thought of having a role for him in the start of the game as a friendly character for a bit of fun. His weapons could always be used against the player off course I suppose though it would be nice if he could kill your enemies too. Pity that would be rather difficult to achieve.

EDIT :

Done - the Robot character is now complete together with animation in FPSC so that completes the testing.

It can be done once you have a method - both existing and new animated Chatacters can be successfully edited or created via Fragmotion and Milkshape.

I might post a small vid of the characters inside the test FPSC level if anyones interested.

gps
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2005 20:53 Edited at: 20th Dec 2005 20:56
Well I'm definitely interested, but then you probably guessed that

EDIT

I guess this is when we find out if you and me are the only two people still following this thread...
=ChrisB=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2005 23:13
I am.

Chris: Oh god it feels good to be outta the F**king shoos!
Sterling: I know! It feels good to be outta these cloths too!
Wheelgator is a ricist. What? I swear! He called me a n***r!
DOMRAY
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2005 00:05
[quote]I might post a small vid of the characters inside the test FPSC level if anyones interested.
plz do.ty

uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2005 02:17 Edited at: 21st Dec 2005 02:18
OK as someones asked I attach the said video.

Its just a small piece of a grab at only 1.25mb .wmv format - sound included.

You can see the enemy moves around playing his animations fine.

The robots too play as they were created so work perfectly - they only have walk and look around from side to side (idle) animation cuurently though I may extend that depending upon where I decide to use them.

I dont see any distortion of mesh or anything either so everything seems to be in order.

One thing others may like to note - I had some difficulty with the idle animations of both Characters - idle animation was jumping quite badly on first and last keyframes - despite copying the first keyframe and pose to the last in the idle sequences of both. This I guess as unlike some animation progs and engines themselves the software (Milkshape/FPSC) we are using does not provide for smoothing or blending of animations - some engines do FPSC apparently not by default and theres no script control to allow for such inside FPSC. I got around this actually by removing in the entities . fpe script the first and last frame numbers in the idle sequence so - dropped the two keyframes out - that worked and animations now play smoothly.

I'm full of great tips - eh!

Anyway - its attached. Happy Christmas viewing.

Attachments

transient
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2005 03:02
This is good to see, I like your robots.

I've mangaed to get a couple of Psionics characters working in FPSC, but I'm still haven't finished my own so I don't have anything to add beyond what I've seen here.

All I can say from working in other engines (mainly SS) is that you generally need to have your chracter rock-solid in whatever program you are using to make them before it will work properly in the game.

I think Monster brought out a plug-in for DBPro which does animation blending. Maybe this could be incorporated into FPSC in the fututre?

It looks like we're going to have a proper methodolgy and workflow for bringing custom characters into FPSC soon.

Nice work.

DOMRAY
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2005 03:09
dam nice job ty vm for the vid

=ChrisB=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2006 18:49
Have you got those robots to shoot from theyre arms?

Your signature has been erased by a mod
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2006 22:06
ChrisB,

Not as yet. They were just my first exploratory new character and just have look around and walk animations. I have not extended those as yet as I have moved on to other work for now.

I have been trying to complete the level construction which is now almost done and adding new things as I go. I will then go back to finalising or adding the many hundreds of additional details to finish the level on the way to a demo.

If you were to follow the make up of current default enemy charceters when making a new one I should think getting them to shoot at the player would work OK, though I cant see that it would be possible to get a robot model like this (Mech type) to shoot from both arms as FPSC does not recognise dual weilding of weapons does it? That would be difficult - single shot position is more likely.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-18 14:19:50
Your offset time is: 2024-05-18 14:19:50