Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Models and Media / Suggestion...Instead of buying some of these Packs..

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2005 18:41 Edited at: 7th Dec 2005 21:44
Ya know...you can search the NET for textures and make ur own segments. Its pretty easy.

Not knocking anyone...but some of the stuff sold can be easily made. Everyone is entitled to sell what they want and anyone can buy it. But when I see certain segments being sold that are nothing more than found textures dropped in...well...

You can get a cheap (or even free photo editor) and do all this yourself - plus get EXACTLY what you want and not what everyone else has.

Try it.

Ok...off my soap box now.

Is the Devil like one of the weird relatives that only gets invited to God's house on Christmas?
BULLSHOCK 2
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2005 19:03
i know who...i mean what you are talking about...

i hate when people get ripped off, i mean, something is worth what people are willing to pay for it, but i hate it when new people buy stuff like you said that can be in theire game by copying and pasteing...especially the new users

bond1
Years of Service
User Offline
Yes madhouse, I'm glad you posted this. I thought about this too...of course people have a right to sell and buy whatever they want....

But people should also know that a lot of this stuff people are selling as "packs" can be EASILY done with a little effort. Plus if you do it yourself you'll probably end up with something much more original and unique.
BULLSHOCK 2
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2005 22:01
secret...free pack coming soon...SSSHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2005 23:56
Then do it yourself, I don't see anyone twisting arms around here.

-Keith

"Some people are only alive because it's illegal to kill them".
bond1
Years of Service
User Offline
Twisting arms...no.

Taking advantage of new users and those who just don't know any better...perhaps.
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2005 04:08
Look Bond1, these new users don't have to buy anything. I don't see anybody taking advantage at all. While we're on the subject, let's stop generalizing. Who in these forums is making packs that others are powerless to refuse?

-Keith

transient
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2005 08:48
There's nothing stopping you growing your own veges, it's pretty easy, but few people do.

I think packs are as much a matter of being a timesaver, as much as anything else.

Even bigger companies use pre-made material that they could make themselves.

If it was so straightforward there'd be no market for them.

instinct is more valuable than intelligence.....
Salvation
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2005 13:18 Edited at: 8th Dec 2005 13:20
Its simple really. Why would someone (Im not talking about a 12 year who only has $10) who had no plans to make there own textures (even if it is extremely easy in psp or psd) spend forever copying and pasting when they get large packs of graphics for practically nothing. Most of which that can be used completely string free. And Ill think you'll find that alot of these "copy and paste" sites which actually have good quality strictly prohibit a) (sometimes) Commercial Use and b) Distribution in packs etc.

Quote: "...you can't share these textures or sell them in any way..."

This does not mean "Hey but im just using it in my game." Because techniqually that is sharing the texture files also. Unless otherwise stated.

~ Salvation
xD

-----
I bite. Watch out
Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2005 14:24
I haven't bought any of the add-on packs yet, only the official one released by TGC. I'm still considering buying ac code's forest and road pack (http://www.accode.com/fpsc.htm), I'm still not sure if I will.

As for the other packs offered, they just make me smile. I've seen a skypack with landscape that look like they've been created in a couple of minutes with terragen. I've seen models and segments that have been slapped together. Still prices asked are considerable, but definitely not worth it. Seems like many want to make fast money with FPSC add-ons without spending the time need to get quality and originality.

So, I agree with you, madhouse and I think it's sad.....

MegaMusic Pack 01.... 31 original soundtracks for your games!
http://www.aeilkema.dds.nl/mega/index.html
bond1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2005 15:50 Edited at: 8th Dec 2005 18:18
Exactly benjamin, and this will be my last post on the subject. I don't think its was anyone's intent to discourage people from buying these packs.

I think it was just to enlighten those who may not know any better that some of this stuff can be made pretty easily.
Salvation
Years of Service
User Offline
I still think selling actual textured models is a good idea. Especially if there exclusive and not shared models.

-----
I bite. Watch out
BULLSHOCK 2
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2005 18:20
ya...if you made the models...

but some of the packs dont even do that...

i saw one pack where it was just ground segments, using the ground model from FPSC...so it was basically just textures....and on top of that...i found some of those on google...

so it was really sad...

Sinistar
Years of Service
User Offline
I make and sell a pack myself (gravematter) but I also baught the forest and road packs. I could have made them, but it just saves time for me.

For me the test is this:

Is my product something I would buy myself if I didn't have it already?

If the answer is no then you are not honestly offering a good deal.
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2005 20:10 Edited at: 8th Dec 2005 20:12
Here we go again. Generalizing. I too saw that segment pack and wondered why anyone would buy something that they could make in a minute or two. But then again, this is a 'drag-and-drop' program; some people around here don't even know how to convert a .bmp to a .jpg.

Again, no one is forcing anyone to buy this stuff. If someone doesn't want to pay for it, then they can do the same thing the rest of us did...learn. If anyone wants to know how to do something for themselves, there are those of us here who can either help them achieve that goal, or at least point them in the right direction.

Degrading someone else's work (packs or otherwise) isn't helping anyone. I amy have a laugh myself from time to time at other's work; but then again, someone called my grenade a 'Christmas Tree Ornament'. All that does is make me want to create a Christmas 'Death' Tree

If you want to help others out here, then write up a tutorial on how to make their own media; instead of knocking someone else's endeavors.

Madhouse's original post was a helpful one, I'm glad he brought it up. Let's try and keep things constructive.

-Keith

BULLSHOCK 2
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2005 21:14
i didnt say anything about anyones pack...i had to generalize to get the point accross.

there are plenty of tutorials here that people can read to do it.

i personally think theat theire should be a separate forum for packs and addons and stuff, because from what i understand, these forums are for help.

what im trying to say is, a lot of younger people buy this product, and if you know how kids are, they think that only packs can get theire stuff.

so, in a sence, by releasing more and more packs on the help forums, these kids think they are official and buy them.

now its not right or wrong, and that will never change. im just saying that maybe we need to sticky more of the good stuff that goes thru this forum...like tutorials...

Sinistar
Years of Service
User Offline
Christmas tree ornament? haha well it would be a nice stocking stuffer!
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2005 22:47 Edited at: 8th Dec 2005 22:51
KeithC,

Quote: "someone called my grenade a 'Christmas Tree Ornament'"

I must admit I have not seen much of your creations but have to say that was not very nice of them.

Personally I dont comment at all if I dont like something as I like to think can be rather more polite and delicate towards peoples feelings. So now you know if I say nothing I dont like it but youre OK as I'm famous for useually saying too much.

Seriously though - personally I dont think you can ever get enough help in making games so welcome all efforts to supply the game world with content whether free of purchased.

I need all the help I can get and dont mind using others expertise which at the end of the day could make my end product better than I could otherwise make it or make it happen sooner than would be otherwise the case. No one is a master of all so I do what I am best at and so should others or they wont finish their games. You cant do it all alone - no way. As it happens I am reasonably proficient in most areas but the jack of all trades has a job to master one leave alone all.

I could and do consider making stuff for game packs but as said previously would want to make quality content that users have a real need for that they perhaps cant get anywhere else and may be hard for the many to do themselves. Such requires time and effort and cant be done commercially unless a reasonable price is returned.

No way around that Quality costs and if you want good stuff it will show up around here as elsewhere but you have to take the good and bad until the bad falls away which it will eventually as FPSC becomes more mature. The bad wont stick the pace and last very long as the effort is not worthwhile and more choice becomes available which is why content packs are needed. Hopefully TGC will release more but until then users cant get enough as many want to put games together quickly - now - they cant wait - they dont have a long term gameplan.

Its really down to buyers to be more decerning in their purchase if they must pay out - after all there are choices - you dont have to limit yourself to media from this forum. If I cant make it I buy stuff when I think its good and is value for money not necessarily the cheapest and fits the game plan - no point in buying stuff you wont use.

I do agree however that some new users dont realise they may with some effort make content for themselves reasonably easily but many do and dont want to - FPSC itself was never designed for the kind of user that wants to - its click - put in stuff from your content packs - and play.

And thats likely to continue - its the nature of the beast.

Those that want to and enjoy making all their own content and make that available for sale to others if they wish are free to do so.

You cant actually have it all ways. Games :

Click and Play - all look the same.

Make stuff - Click and play - can look better and more original.

Buy stuff (good stuff) - click and play - can look good and more original or not with effort or not but can be faster than make stuff from scratch.

Just the same as bying a game engine really - by and large you get what you pay for but you have to be a little decerning in your choices.

madhouse
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2005 22:59 Edited at: 8th Dec 2005 23:18
My original comment, that started this thread, was intended to spark people into trying and making some creative 'game pieces' themselves instead of jumping on the first 'Pack" that comes along.

It WAS NOT intended to blast or debase anyone. Like I said originally anyone can buy and sell whatever they want. I personally think most of the fun in building a game is designing the look and feel of your world. So I guess my opinion stems from the illogical, creative side of my brain. The side that goes left when told to go right.

I didn't mean to get everyone worked up.

Over and Out.

Is the Devil like one of the weird relatives that only gets invited to God's house on Christmas?
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2005 23:23
madhouse,

Understood and a valuable oipiion it was too. Not at least taken or should get anyone worked up at all.

After all this is becoming a very mature forum now isnt it dedicated to gamemaking and the free expression of opinions of all kinds in matters appertaining to that end.

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2005 23:40
If anyone saw my first skin on the grenade, it did look like a Christmas tree ornament I understand your original point Madhouse; like I said, I'm glad you made it.

That's a good idea about the separate forums, Bullshock; unfortunately the TGC team doesn't seem to visit here much anymore.

-Keith

=ChrisB=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2005 00:32
Put your flame jackets on kids.

Are you about to rock?

Then [b]I SALUTE YOU!!!
Salvation
Years of Service
User Offline
lol. KeithC seems to be about to go into an "Tree Ornament" frenzy. ^^

-----
I bite. Watch out
Les Horribres
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2005 02:46 Edited at: 9th Dec 2005 02:47
Cauks Super-Flame Thrower Rifle. jk

I want a Deaths-Day Ordinment. Keith
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2005 02:50
"He looks dead, toss an ornament over there to make sure".

Salvation
Years of Service
User Offline
lol.

Salvation enters malls. Over loud speaker "Welcome to the sunnyside mall! You one stop shopping conveinence for everything Deaths-Day!...Prepare to die!...Thanks for shopping at sunnyside!"

-----
I bite. Watch out
Salvation
Years of Service
User Offline
We really need a "People Power and Advertising" forum.

-----
I bite. Watch out
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2005 02:52
...."everyone gets a free ornament for stopping by; pins are optional".

Les Horribres
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2005 02:55
Slowly rises from the rubbel... tosses rifle aside... Look what I found in the back.... Lifts up a box of 'ordinments'.
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2005 02:57
Just like I said - much more mature.

Leave Keith alone will you and pick on me - I got broad shoulders and I got my jacket on, but like they say in half life (one) "Lets Run Like Hell".

Les Horribres
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2005 02:58
"Welcome to Dooms-Day Mall, beware of exploding tolits"
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2005 03:03
Man you make one Christmas tree ornament, and everyobody wants to pull the pin on ya! Next time I'll add some sparkles and tinsel for that 'special' kind of effect.

"Nothing can stop those Elves, they keep chucking Ornaments everywhere"! "They're nothing, just wait till that fat ass with the red suit gets here"!

-Keith

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2005 03:04
This thread has 'Christmas Mod' written all over it!

uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2005 03:06 Edited at: 9th Dec 2005 03:08
KeithC,

I'm waiting for him excitedly and if I dont get some good stuff offa him I'm gonna throw the cookies and milk at him.

And the MOD well he's coming too sooner than you think and he gonna shut this down.

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2005 03:11
Nope, I meant 'Christmas Modification'

uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2005 03:26
I understand Keith,

The Christmas MOD is still on his way.

And as usual I away from this one now - enough in this thread for me I'm just wasting space, sorry.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-06 13:53:17
Your offset time is: 2024-05-06 13:53:17