Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Scripts / Infinite terrain?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Is there a way to create many small levels - and link them in such a way that there is no visible loading time between them? This would make it an efficient environment. We could even make complex graphics/lights heavy small levels and link them thus.

If this is not possible, can the devs please note feature this for a future patch please? Thanks.
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2005 21:40 Edited at: 8th Dec 2005 21:54
You cant overide load times the more content in a level the longer the load time. I dont see how one can have seamless level loading in a game unless the whole game loads at one time. You would then have something of a long wait with a large FPSC game as the levels are extremely large file sizes. You could go watch a movie while you were waiting.

No visible loading time? I dont think its either possible or a sensible idea to incorparate into FPSC and doubt it ever will be.

Besides the majority of users want larger levels not smaller ones.

Nothing stoping you making small efficient levels now - just dont put anything in them. You could then have 50 small empty levels. I guess you might be able to force a skip of some loading elements via scripting, You will still have to wait for a load between each level though as unnseen resources still have to be loaded.

Its a really a different issue to Terrain the various options of which TGC are surely aware and which I am sure TGC will give as much consideration to as any other requested feature.

Les Horribres
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2005 01:00
I have the "feeling" that FPSC can be much faster if it only loaded the model, and a texture wrap. Everything else will load normally.

So, you could preload all the enemys, weapons, and all that other stuff. And merely change the locations, and the room model+texture.

But that brings up another point... could you make a game with 5 entitys? And merely "transport" them to the locations where you want them?
transient
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2005 08:20
I think Rayman might be alluding to the system Turbine uses in it's MMORPG's. It works like this.

I like OnePosts's idea of re-using media. I wonder if you could script something like this?

I've been toying with the idea of spawning/destroying animated entities as you come within view of them, but can't get my head around scripting code needed.

instinct is more valuable than intelligence.....
Rayman
Years of Service
User Offline
Aye. Was referring to MMORPGs concept, but also wish to create more graphic intense and mood-lit levels. Dont appreciate the loading times FPSC has to begin with.

How seamless/infinite terrains work is when a player 'triggers' a switch via entering a 'buffer' zone, the next level starts loading in the backdrop. And by the time player reaches to end of buffer zone, he merely steps instantly into the next zone since its already loaded. This gives the illusion of infinite terrain.

Transient, are there commands that have these functions?
If Distance_to_object >= XXX then destroy_self? (or set invisible?)

We could also spawn objects when spawner is triggered due to proximity of player.

There seem to be no LOD functions builtin either.
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2005 16:06
Quote: "Transient, are there commands that have these functions?
If Distance_to_object >= XXX then destroy_self? (or set invisible?)"

The point is can you respawn an object again once its been destroyed or even suspended? Anyone tried it?

Invisibility is useless unless its kills the entities thinking and allows a no col state.

BULLSHOCK 2
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2005 18:26 Edited at: 9th Dec 2005 18:27
you know what?

i did an experiment...i built a small level.(just ground segments maybe 4 blocks x 4 blocks) and built the game...

it loaded fairly quickly.

then i put a ton of unneeded media in it...

and it took forever...

so...FPSC loads everything in the files directory...which isnt very efficient.

uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2005 19:17 Edited at: 9th Dec 2005 19:17
Well cant say too much but FPSC involves unecessary media all over the place - lucky it dont check the rest of the hard drive I'd have half a million files in there.

Rayman
Years of Service
User Offline
Ok. So can we manually LINK (or call) media from another directory/subdirectory? Or does it also load everything in subdirectories? If so, then maybe we can toss stuff in a parent directory?
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2005 00:39
FPSC is very fussy about where some things are located - others not so - I dont think you could get away with putting all yor stuff for one whole game say in non default locations - though it may allow you to do so - to try it is the only answer.
Rayman
Years of Service
User Offline
Is loading objects via script available to us? Maybe we can call them on-the-fly during the game - and not have to compile/preload anything - only empty levels.

Anyone have a handy script to load objects this way?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 08:52:47
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 08:52:47