Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Models and Media / Annoyed at TGC.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2005 03:35 Edited at: 9th Dec 2005 03:47
oops. Post moved to: http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=66681&b=21

-----
I bite. Watch out
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2005 03:40
Well, you could always send them a box of Ornaments for Christmas

"Some people are only alive because it's illegal to kill them".
=ChrisB=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2005 03:41
And you COULD PUT THE POST IN THE RIGHT BOARD!!!!

Are you about to rock?

Then [b]I SALUTE YOU!!!
Salvation
Years of Service
User Offline
Ahhh. Ooops. Accedent. > Moved

-----
I bite. Watch out
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2005 04:15
Salvation,

You are certainly correct in saying that TGC have tight control over the product and in that way they keep its commercial value to them intact. That is a business decision on the part of TGC and there are many reasons for that decision which there aint enough space here to encompass but in short the product obviously needs to return a profit on their investment which has been quite considerable - At the reatil sale price of FPSC TGC wont see any profit for some time to come I would think and so the sale of additionl media in the form of content packs helps sustain them and this particular product now and perhaps in aid of further development - without commercial viability there simply wont be an FPSC V2.

FPSC is a product specifically designed for a mass audience of the general population who want to make a game without the need to become involved with making their own content and not for ardent gamemakers as any kind of priority - so TGC are actually meeting the need of their inetnded market which in commercial terms in theory at least is likely to be a successful strategy.

You are also correct in saying that this and other factors are from a dedicated forum users gamemakiing point of view, somewhat restrictive.

I dont dispute these findings - just understand the TGC reasons even if I may not agree with all of them, in fact I dont and would like some others at least see the product encompass more of the needs of the gamemaking community here - but thats not where it stands and may not change at any time in the future.

I see no reason why FPSC could not develop to accommodate the forum type user need more closely - other than doing so would cost TGC time and money which currently the product itslef alone does not generate at least I would be surprised if it does.

Currently I am not sure that TGC could viably invest whats needed to develop the product in major way whilst its sale numbers are relatively low - this situation probably improves on a daily basis and may eventually reach a stage where this situation changes and TGC can say to themselves - "this is a good product for us - lets make it better" - lets hope so.

No commercial company can sustain a profit loss indefinately - the outlay investment in R&D of a new product like FPSC needs to show a return before more is invested - that just good commercial sense.

Salvation
Years of Service
User Offline
Thats a very good point you make uman. If they had the money and time maybe they could split FPSC into two products. FPSC and FPSC Advanced. Advanced which would cost a fair bit more money. I think this would be good.

-----
I bite. Watch out
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2005 06:02 Edited at: 9th Dec 2005 06:03
Its been suggested - Ideally and udate for all would be nice as some things could be improved without question for all users.

Personally I would rather see one FPSC that was better and maybe made to accommodate advanced plugins for AI and alike for those more adventurous users who want it and therefore would be prepared too pay additional amounts. That woulld still leave a basic standard version for all those who are not of a more professional outlook.

This I say as TGC already have numerous engines and splitting development on another may be asking too much. The basic FPSC idea is sound I think - whether it is suitable or capable from the base up of support for further development towards a more advanced engine I cannot say.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-06 18:26:09
Your offset time is: 2024-05-06 18:26:09