Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Models and Media / :( Please help me break the n00b problem

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2005 18:57
Hi guys -

Yup, Im a n00b but before you all heavily chastise me please remember - only your help can convert me from N00b to peer...

Basicaly this is the situation:

Just got FPSC and want to import my own items (i.e. entities) from 3D Studio max 7. I have a X Convertor (pandasoft) but cannot get it to work in FPSC.

I basically want a tree - so got a textured tree in 3d Studio max7. When we export it - we get 1 .X file -

We put this in the meshbank under user / Tree and also create a .fpe file by copying an existing entities .fpe file and changing the file paths for the mesh and the texture.

When we have done this (exported the .X file,put it in the meshbank, put the texture file in the texture bank and created an .fpe file in the entities bank folder under user / tree - I get the "Run time error 7018 could not load 3d object at line 13258".

The filepaths in the .fpe file are correct......

Does anybody know what settings I should use in the Pandasoft .x file convertor? Is there a previous post on this forum regarding getting 3d Studio max 7 items into FPSC?

Your help would be very much appreciated -

(Either that or does anyone have any spare trees and bushes knocking around )

Thanks for your time guys,

Mab

DAB Studios
CBStudios
User Banned
Posted: 11th Dec 2005 19:47
Why not use the one stickied at the top of this forum ? Its freeware and is designed for fpsc
Mabuggi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2005 21:29
thanks guys -

I have converted the file using the panda software (Which TGC recommends)using the settings found on the FPSC Site.
I have an X file and have put this in its own folder with the texture file and an fpe file all showing the right file paths...

Now all I have is a grey tree!!!!

In the map editor it looks green with a brown trunk (nice)

When I test the level - its grey????

DAB Studios
Joh
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2005 23:16
FPSC site - Downloads - Character Studio files, theres a guide to using the Pandasoft exporter. It has screenshots of what settings to use.
transient
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2005 00:46 Edited at: 12th Dec 2005 00:48
This may be because your not exporting your model in the binary format required by FPSC.

I think FPSC comes up with this error when it can't create the .bin file it needs.

FPSC apparently takes .x files, converts them to .dbo, then compiles a .bin file that the game eventually uses. Something like that, anyway.

The sticky should help you out.

instinct is more valuable than intelligence.....
=ChrisB=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2005 02:51
Yea, FPSC only supports binary compessed format, which is a BIG problem, cause only have fagmotion.

Are you about to rock?

Then [b]I SALUTE YOU!!!
Mabuggi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2005 15:20
Many thanks for all your swift replies guys - Iits very comforting to know that thres good guys out there willing to help others.....

Im at a bit of a loss though....

To start with - I trawled through this forum to check what was needed before we even started, so knew there were issues and that it wasnt totally intuitive.

I went to the fpsc site and that is where I got all my pandasoft settings from. There are screen prints on there - and I carefully checked each setting before exporting.

The weird thing is that in the map editor it looks pretty much how I thought it would...then when I run the test level they are untextured......

So is it just the texture I am missing? Does the X file contain a "link" to the required texture or does FPSC simply tell the mesh what texture needs to go on it?
IF I have this mesh that is grey in the test game - then if I go to the entity properties and select a texture from the option box in the attributes screen - should this resolve the issue?

I have found plenty of stickies on thid forum with regards to using EVERY program apart from a simple step by step of "I have a model in 3DSM and heres how to get it into FPSC"...

oddly enough - We (Sorry - not going mad and talking in the third person - I am referring to my bro - my development buddy and 3DSM7 owner) managed to easily import a character model into the game - although we did simply lift a character from FPSC - edit and re import back into the game in our own folder. But - getting this godda mn tree from Max into FPSC is driving us mad!

The pandasoft settings look right....The tree looks okay in the map editor...but grey in the test game....

Bummer. if anyone could shed any light - would be much appreciated. The only reason I have submitted this post os because like I said - I have looked through the forums and not found anything that details this issue.

if anyone needs further info - like the tree max file or wants screen prints of my settings anywhere or anything like that - please post back. I just want top get this issue reolved ASAP - Im learning scripting quite nicely - with the help of this excellent forum and as soon as I get my own models in there - my game is gonna be rocking!

Thanks for your time - and any help or guidance you can give -

keep up the good work guys

DAB Studios
Mabuggi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2005 12:43
hey guys -

Just a quickie (cos Im @ work - eeeek)

To say that I have figured this out now.

I now have all my own textured models from 3dsM into FPSC.

I am more than a happy man!

Once again - thank you to all of those who offered helpful & friendly advice - without you guys - these forums would suck proverbial ass.

Thanks for your help - graphics / modelling may not be my forte - but level design and play testing is - so if anyone wants me to alpha test any levels or anything with honest <i>constructive</i> critiscm - please let me know.

I would be more than happy to help any of you guys out.

DAB Studios
Mabuggi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2005 13:06
I now have trees!

And shrubs....and a bumpy ground bit..........

Thanks guys

DAB Studios

Attachments

Login to view attachments

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-06 21:51:18
Your offset time is: 2024-05-06 21:51:18