Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Models and Media / Entity Transparency Setting

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi, when I change the 'Transparency' setting of ANY entity to '1', and 'Test Level', the entity is not Transparent (I can see it).

Please help, as this is an integral part of my game.

Thanks

"Mathematics...the one Universal Language"
Vlad
Years of Service
User Offline
Someone (uman I think) did manage to have some sort of see-through laser beams, so it is doable. Check the showcase forum and find one of the newest threads that has laser detection on the floor.

V

I'm pretty sure I know everything. Doubts are something rare in me and I am never wrong, as this signature can prove.
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2005 16:25 Edited at: 20th Dec 2005 16:26
To have transparency - Firstly you need a texture with an alpha channel. Then you need a script for the entity specifying the transparency. Then you need set the transparency in the enitites properties dialogue by right clicking the entity and giving the transparency setting a number.

Try a setting of 2 for most things.

I use transparency quite a lot and not failed yet - the laser pic is in Umans Screen Shots in the appropriate forum.

Sunflash
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2005 18:26
What about when you want a certain color to be transparent? Like black? I have a tree, but the leaves have a square of black around them. I need that to become transparent. And I have the Stick Grenade thing, but the weapon hud shows up with a black square around the actual grenade. Any help would be very apreciated!

When FPSC develops enough, lets make a Redwall game!

deannewby
Years of Service
User Offline
Thank you all for replying so quickly.

Uman - here is what I want/need to do: I need a 'tractor beam'-like item, so I think the easiest thing (I have no 3D-making exp at all), is to take a Lift entity or other Item (with the Lift Script in its Main), and make it transparent - I will then either:

- leave it 'plain'step in and when you step in up you go OR
- add some decals (prob Teleport) along the 'invisible tractor'line'

Does this make sense, and if so is this the best way to do it.

By the way, excellent work on display in the Showcase, I particularly like the Forcefield and Double Doors.

Thanks

"Mathematics...the one Universal Language"
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2005 20:39 Edited at: 20th Dec 2005 20:39
deannewby,

Beams as such in the true sense are not really possible in FPSC I dont think as there is no particle beam support which in theory would give you a contiuous beam to infinity just like a real laser beam.

This is why there are no laser weapons in FPSC not even in the sci-fi category - which is not really what one would expect in terms of Sci-fi weapons but thats the way it is I'm afraid.

The laser beam example in the screen shots pic uses a decal image - with transparency and that is applied to a 100% transparent wall type entity of standard tile size with multiple sections being placed one beside the other to give a contiuinuous beam. You can rotate the decal in the decal image if not the decal inside FPSC so it could be built vertically too.

Decals can be scaled if attached to an wall entity though its a difficult procedure. You can make an entity any size or shape and apply a simmilar laser or beam type texture with transparency, but you cannot as I am aware apply an animated texture to any world object (story zone discounted) in FPSC except for a decal as FPSC support for animated textures is as basic as it gets - so thus my laser decal is attached to the invisible wall entity - otherwise you would never place them side by side and match up the sections - a decal is just not that precise in its placement.

Hope some of that gives you an idea of what you can and whatyou cant do in FPSC.

Sunflash,

If you want transparency in FPSC I dont honestly know what you cant get it - If you have a texture with an alpha channel correctly applied and its transparency settings in script and in editor are correct then it should work fine inside FPSC as the prog does support transparency. I use a setting of transparency=2 for almost all transparencies.

Any part of your (entity or segment - yes it works on segments too) texture you want to appear transparent in FPSC must be as solid black or a graduated percentage of black in the alpha channel, solid black being 100% transparent in FPSC. Make sure you save the alpha channel as an 8 bit greyscale image somewhere separately then re-import it back to the alpha channel of your 24 bit texture. That I find works best.

Depending upon which program you use to save the texture out you may need to choose a specific setting if your paint software or conversion software allows any - if not then it may be more difficult, but not necessarilly.

e.g. If you have an image say with pink in it that you want to have the pink area transparent in FPSC then you must somehow as you will know - separate out the pink areas - easy if its solid pink - difficult if there are graduated areas of the colour - Then you make an alpha channel from the separated pink image by changing it to an 8 bit greyscale and re-importing it to the alpha channel. save in image format with alpha channel for use in FPSC.

No reason at all why that should not work.

If you are unable to do this successully with further testing now - let me have an offending image and I can take a look at it to see if I can help further.

I do trees fine - you can see some in the screen shot of the terrain image I posted for users in the free terrain thread in models and media. Grass works fine too. One thing with trees and grass - the transparency and resultant quality of the object in level is affected by its in level mode. i.e. staitic mode and dynamic mode for some reason unknown to me show transparency and object differently so try out both settings and see the difference in object rendering quality.

Hope that helps a little ask away if I can help with further info I will.

=ChrisB=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Dec 2005 21:47
But, hehe, there is a way, allready to have lazer weapons. It's kinda odd that no one yet has realized that there are projectile weapons....

Chris: Oh god it feels good to be outta the F**king shoos!
Sterling: I know! It feels good to be outta these cloths too!
Wheelgator is a ricist. What? I swear! He called me a n***r!
Sinistar
Years of Service
User Offline
You can also make things transparent by using a .bmp for the image and transparency set to 1. Anything solid black doesn't show up. It's the poor mans way to do it since there is no gradation of transparency --just there and not there, but it works too.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-04 14:44:49
Your offset time is: 2024-05-04 14:44:49