Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Missing d3dx9_28.dll

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Howdie mates

I asked a friend to do a little test on his computer with the game I'm working on. Sent him a zip with the exe and media.

He ran it and it said he missed the d3dx9_28.dll file. I sent him the file, which he put on the folder and did the test. We ran some tests and he is using DirectX 9.0C, so I am somewhat intrigued about what happened.

Thing is, do I have to send the dll all the time? Seems a bit weird since apparentely it is a DirectDraw dll, part of DirectX. Is there any thing I can do with my code to prevent sending the file, and if so, what are the consequences of that? Bigger exe? Much much bigger?

I'm pretty sure I know everything. Doubts are something rare in me and I am never wrong, as this signature can prove.
Dark Lord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2005 04:18
I dont know how to fix it but the exact same thing happened to me too.
Smithy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2005 09:07 Edited at: 22nd Dec 2005 09:09
When I send a demo to my friends, I have to include the d3dx9_25.dll.
(for those who are frequently "testers", they put it into windows/system32 folder)

Never happend to me that I have to include a "_28.dll".

I am using:
-DarkGame SDK 1.1 (not the 1.1.1. Beta, I don't like betas heh)
-DirectX SDK .. erm.. don't know, but not the latest I think!

What are you using then?

ps: as long as we only have the 1.1(.1) version, you will be forced to send the dll within your product

//Awards: Best DM at NeverwinterConventionIII (NWCon3)
//Sys: Pentium IV 3200E/Prescott;800Mhz FSB;HT;WinXPPro;ATIR9700PRO;1024MB RAM(2x512MB"DualChanneled";VC++7.net;Delphi6;ADSL512;
Vlad
Years of Service
User Offline
I am using the 1.1.1 Beta.

I'm pretty sure I know everything. Doubts are something rare in me and I am never wrong, as this signature can prove.
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2005 10:01
With the latest DX, there is always a redistributable - get him to install that.

Vlad
Years of Service
User Offline
He has DX 9.0c, which makes this issue a bit strange. My best guess is that he should have that file in his system already. Even so, I'm not targeting to put the redistrubution DX files within my games for size matters.

The total filesize of the distribution file would rise 2MB, probably much less after ziping it, this might be another issue.

I don't really know, I'm a bit puzzled with this question. On one hand I would believe that system with DX 9.0c would have all the needed dlls to run a game coded with DGSDK, on the other hand (and even witout testing) I think a redistritution zip would be no big deal with the dll in it.

OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2005 13:26 Edited at: 22nd Dec 2005 13:27
He may have DX9.0c, but may not have the latest version from the DirectX SDK.

Vlad
Years of Service
User Offline
That explains it. I have the December package.

Smithy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2005 15:31
Yeah, my version of the SDK is prior December version, so its "_25" for me. (*notes* update DX SDK *g*)

But if you want to share your app, you still have to include them I think, as they are only inside the SDK and not in the redi!? ( Right? )

//Sys: Pentium IV 3200E/Prescott;800Mhz FSB;HT;WinXPPro;ATIR9700PRO;1024MB RAM(2x512MB"DualChanneled";VC++7.net;Delphi6;ADSL512;
Vlad
Years of Service
User Offline
Didn't check but you are probably right. If the difference is in the SDK system availability, distributing DX end user files wouldn't do the trick.

The good news is:

Filesize: 3.8 MB
Compressed: 1.1 MB

Vlad
Years of Service
User Offline
Sorry to reopen the discussion and the thread, but I have some doubts regarding this issue.

Smithy said:

Quote: "ps: as long as we only have the 1.1(.1) version, you will be forced to send the dll within your product "

Can someone explain me why this happens, please?

I don't see this as a problem, more of a inconvinience really. Is there a workaround, like using a prior DX SDK or are we stuck to send the file.

I know it's probably not a big deal, but if someone could brief me in a bit in this I would appreciate, I have this thing with understanding why the sky is blue and why I'm ugly and so on...

Thank you in advance.

V

OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Dec 2005 19:04
I wouldn't see the need to include any DLL's - if your not sure the user wont have the very latest version of DX9 (and it will keep changing every couple of months until DX10 is out), you would include the required DX9.0 installer with your program - or from a download location.

You should NOT include it with your program as it goes againast Microsoft's EULA, plus it could just duplicate files on the users machine.

Vlad
Years of Service
User Offline
I had no idea about the EULA ( I know I know mate, my bad ) and thank you for the quick update on this matter. I'll think of it when time comes.

Happy New Year to you all!

Smithy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2006 09:09
A late... "Happy new year!"

Quote: "
I wouldn't see the need to include any DLL's - if your not sure the user wont have the very latest version of DX9 (and it will keep changing every couple of months until DX10 is out), you would include the required DX9.0 installer with your program - or from a download location.
"

The problem I got is that my friends can't run my apps because they need that "d3dx9_xx.dll"-file.
And that file only ships with DirectX SDK.
So, for anyone who has only the normal DirectX end-user stuff installed, she wont be able to run my app.

You suggest to include the DX9.0 installer, but I cant see how this will work. (without to tell them to install DX SDK)

*slightly confused*
Smithy

Lampton Worm
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2006 10:44 Edited at: 4th Jan 2006 10:53
Hi,

Not sure if it helps, but I was able to use the December 2004 SDK and build an EXE that ran on other machines that only had the standard DX9 runtime, no extras. I know I'm using a well out of date SDK, but for that particular project, it wasn't an issue for me at least.

But for the latest SDK's it's different due to the naming of those files...

[EDIT] replaced my babbling with this link: http://www.toymaker.info/Games/html/d3dx_dlls.html

Cheers
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2006 11:26
You could do the following :

If you install your program with an installer, your installer could run the installer for the latest DirectX to install things that need to be installed.

Unfortunately you cant check which version of DirectX is being run - it appears that Microsoft aren't updating the version numbers, and so they all appear as 9.0c

Vlad
Years of Service
User Offline
I had a hint to use Oct 2004 SDK. And it works. Tested with machines with no SDK and no file was asked.

I have no idea if there are other issues, as far as my testing goes everything worked 100% fine and I had no issues at all.

Case you are wondering I simply uninstalled the last DXSDK downloaded and installed DX SDK Oct 2004.

Christian B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2006 17:29
I think the debate here is whether or not the end-user should be forced to install the Direct X SDK to run the game (versus the redistributable run-times).

I've just run into that exact same problem, bringing a game I've build at home to work in order to test it, but it failed to load.

Now it's unthinkable to require every end-user to have development .DLLs and the DirectX SDK on their computer. Games compiled with the Dark Game SDK do not seem to run on any computer that doesn't have the DirectX SDK. So what is the solution here?

---
http://christianboutin.com
Vlad
Years of Service
User Offline
Install Oct 2004 DirectX SDK.

You are ready to go.

Works wonders with me.

OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2006 21:21
Quote: "Now it's unthinkable to require every end-user to have development .DLLs and the DirectX SDK on their computer"

You dont need to - you just need the DirectX installer from the SDK.

Blog:http://spaces.msn.com/members/BouncyBrick/
Web Site:http://www.nicholaskingsley.co.uk
Smoke me a computer chip, I'll be baking breakfast.
Christian B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2006 03:45
Your honor, the defendant pleads guilty to the charges of not reading the FAQ properly, and mistakignly attempt to make the engine run with the october *2005* version of the DirectX SDK instead of the *2004*.

Everything works now. Thanks.

---
http://christianboutin.com

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-17 09:48:18
Your offset time is: 2024-05-17 09:48:18