Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Models and Media / [LOCKED] Really Sweet Cars

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2005 01:49 Edited at: 24th Dec 2005 03:31
Hey Kieth, I talked to you man and you know i know i didnt steal this cars. Well these "children" contacted Dosh Design and I had to apologize for their behavior. I had to explain how I just look at their modles while making mine and mine are original. You dumbasses need to stop acting like dumbasses and get a life. For real. If you try to do a stupid stunt like that again, your the one whos going to end up getting sued for deprimation of character.

And I cant take everything you f*cking own for deprimation of character. In fact im going to ring my Lawyer right now and let him know he might have a case on his hands. First of all I dont F*CK around, and If you want to mess with me you are going to get so burned......

The next time someone tells you five million f*cking times, some models were created while looking at others, get it through your thick f*ckwad head...

Those who fly low hurt least when they fall...
Rockdrala
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2005 01:55 Edited at: 24th Dec 2005 03:29
For the Mature Profesional People here, what im trying to say is the x model does have colors on it, the bumper is black and and tailights are red, when i made them in max, i put color on em, the direct x model should contain color coordinates on it, perhaps the fpsc needs a plugin that can read the colors...

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2005 03:35
You told me you got them free from somewhere, I had no reason to doubt you. There's lots of free models out there, if you look. Seems like things may be blown out of proportion here, but I haven't been keeping up with it.

Anyways, not sure if I can texture it properly as it looks as though they actually modeled the entire inside of the car (even the Audi symbol on the front is actually modeled). I've gotta take care of quite a few things for the next couple of weeks, like getting my first for-pay model pack ready.

I'm gonna have to learn to texture high-poly models sometime, so I may as well use the car. If I get it done one of these days, I'll post the texture for you. The poly (tri) count may be too high for FPSC to handle it, unless you reduce the polys (as some have mentioned).

Anyways, sorry I couldn't be more help right now. Talk to you later.

-Keith

"Some people are only alive because it's illegal to kill them".
Rockdrala
Years of Service
User Offline
Cool model of the keith the cabinents look awesome...

Rockdrala
Years of Service
User Offline
YOu know keith, thismay have a lot of Polys but im getting the car to appear in in the game untextured.. as a dynamic object....

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2005 03:47
Oh yeah, it will have it's uses; you could also use it as screen art (like an advertisement screen). If you can get it to work, more power to you. Anyways, thanks for the compliment on the Cabinet, hope you find it useful.

-Keith

Rockdrala
Years of Service
User Offline
keith do you prefer dds or tga for texturing?

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2005 04:28
I do it in .bmp, then convert it to .tga usually. I'm gonna have to start doing my textures in .png when I start doing models for Torque.

-Keith

Rockdrala
Years of Service
User Offline
yeah those png's are really high res.good qaulity, the legend of zelda game used png's which i have posted screenshots in the zelda thread here.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Vlad
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "For the Mature Profesional People here, what im trying to say is the x model does have colors on it, the bumper is black and and tailights are red, when i made them in max, i put color on em, the direct x model should contain color coordinates on it, perhaps the fpsc needs a plugin that can read the colors..."

When you load an object in DirectX, you load only the model, not the colours. Those must be applied with textures always. Since FPSC was built on top of DBPro and DBPro lies on top of DirectX you always have to give it the texture file.

As far as I know there's no way of getting the model colours and materials of an object to be displayed with DirectX, therefor no plugin with help you in FPSC. And as far as I know, it's impossible to put any plugin on FPSC.

What you have to do is:

Crush the polygon count or your game will suffer.
Unwrap the model.
Texture the unwrap.
Apply both to FPSC.

Done.

I'm pretty sure I know everything. Doubts are something rare in me and I am never wrong, as this signature can prove.
Rockdrala
Years of Service
User Offline
im obvisouly going to have to show what im talking about, since you think I dont know what im talking about... there are color on the Direct X, model,embedded into the *.x design... look at the bumper, the side light, the tail lights, the tires... this is with no texture loaded, it has colors IN the design...

what im trying to say is FPSC is not READING this color coordinates straight from the model... I need a plugin...

I have the car showing up fine in the game.. the poly count was never issue, yes it was really high, but it works...

Rockdrala
Years of Service
User Offline
and heres the screenshot...

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Vlad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2005 14:32 Edited at: 24th Dec 2005 14:42
I never said there were no materials in the X file, I've said several pages back actually. What I'm saying is that the materials are useless in this context.

You misunderstood me or I explained myself wrong, when you load the model into the engine, only the model goes in, no matter how you do it. Materials don't, even if you can see it in the SDK applications. Doesn't matter how you try it. Heck, in C++ I have to load the model and the texture or it will be white. Maybe in C++ there's another way of doing it that I don't know about, but in FPSC you will have to do what I stated in the previous post.

I know it's in the model, but the colors (in this case materials) are not read when the model is put into the engine, and what you are showing is not the engine, it's an application to see meshes.

You can put it in any 3D software, you will always see the materials because that software was designed to do exactly that.

When you load it into the game engine, the game engine is designed for you to give it an unwrapped texture and the mesh, disregarding the materials in it. As far as I know, DirectX does not even know what a material is because that's a 3DS Max implementation, not a DirectX implementation. When you export 3DS to X, the materials go with it, unless you say otherwise, that does not mean you can use it.

Regarding the poly count, the higher it is, the slower it will be. If you don't have an issue with that, that's fine. I usually do.

Cut the "I'm showing you" please, I gave up and I'm writing what I know, if this is not helpful, I'll simply stop it here and let you sort it out yourself. What I've written above will work, you just have to do it. As far as I know, there are no workarounds in this matter.

I'm pretty sure I know everything. Doubts are something rare in me and I am never wrong, as this signature can prove.
bond1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2005 15:23 Edited at: 24th Dec 2005 15:26
To reiterate what Vlad is saying:

Some game engines can read what's called "vertex colors" and interpolate the color across the polygons. That's what the Vertex Paint modifier is for, and it saves texture memory in the long run.

FPSC can't do this, there is no "plugin". You MUST apply UV coordinates to this model, and use a .tga (or .dds) to texture it. Your best bet is to open 3ds max's help files, and learn how to use the Unwrap UVW modifier.

Question: how did you apply these colors as you were making the model, did you do it from the Material Editor? If that's the case, you'll have to condense the model to a single mesh, apply a single material, and then apply the Unwrap UVW modifier.

The bottom line is, FPSC will not read the colors from your model, you'll have to apply an external texture. This is how every single other model for FPSC is made...
Rockdrala
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Cut the "I'm showing you" please, I gave up and I'm writing what I know, if this is not helpful, I'll simply stop it here and let you sort it out yourself. What I've written above will work, you just have to do it. As far as I know, there are no workarounds in this matter."

what the hell was all that about? Basically you just agreed that I said the materials are there and FPSC wont sniff em out... (in a long dragged out multiple paragraph sort of way)

Like I was originaly saying "what about a plugin for FPSC?"

Rockdrala
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "FPSC can't do this, there is no "plugin""

Not yet... and nothing is beyond impossible..

bond1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2005 15:32 Edited at: 24th Dec 2005 15:35
Right, anything IS possible. Other game engines can do it. Hell, even Shockwave 3d can do it. But for now, you'll have to make this model like every other one. Learn to use Unwrap UVW, you could have had this textured by now, and it will come in handy in the long run if you make any more models.

Again, how did you apply these colors? In the material editor? The reason I ask is because if FPSC can ever read material colors or vertex colors, then this will be important.
Vlad
Years of Service
User Offline
Man, are you stubborn, the problem is not FPSC only.

FPSC won't sniff em out because...
DBPro won't sniff em out because...
DirectX won't sniff em out. ( Just because you can see it in that application, there's no garantee that it will work with the DirectX code, but I'm no expert in DirectX )

You can code a dll for DirectX to sniff em out.
Then code a plugin for DBPro to sniff em out.
Then change FPSC code to use that.

It's easier to unwrap, woulnd't you agree? Most coders and modelers are more than happy to have object + texture. You are the first person that complains about it as far as I know, so I guess it will be a long wait... and to be honest, you do not need it. Just unwrap it and get on with it. It's easy mate. Much easier than modeling that stuff. There are wonderful texturers out there, if they have the map they can do wonders with it.

@bond1

No idea if you know DBP or DGSDK ( or DirectX lingo for this matter), but do you know if the vertex paint is what it's used to single color objects with a given color? I do it, but have no idea why it happens in technical terms. Bit of magic to me.

Rockdrala
Years of Service
User Offline
Vlad the reason why i would haveto disagree is becuase if i cant take a day to make that dll then it would save me texturing tons of models in future days to come...

Bond these were paint filled surfaces in Max... the conversion to x carried over the color attributes...

no they are not vertex colors.. if they were it would take millions of polys to see a whole tire in black

Rockdrala
Years of Service
User Offline
And vald while i agree other games do more, I strongly suggest working on this because of the features it has and the well structured media managment helps streamline production time, however some things that need to be upgraded are going from 20 frames per second to 120 (Fluid Life Like Motion) and Tera-Trillion Poly Support. but while that may take awhile to achieve (I have been playing with it in Visual Studio) Im sure a simple .dll that would enable color support on Direct X models would be great and faster to do... the thing with .dll however is im just going to make one to support my video card (Radeon 9500 256 MB) becuase making a Universal Driver Supported .DLL would take a LONG time...

That would fall as a responsbility of TGC

bond1
Years of Service
User Offline
Vlad, yes a lot of game engines out there use vertex colors to describe how an object's color will look in the game. That's what Vertex Paint is geared to...game engines. It will smoothly create a gradient between vertices if they are different colors.

For games, this saves tons of memory and increases speed because colors can be calculated on the fly and don't require extra texture memory.

Other 3d engines, like Shockwave 3d, can read material colors, like in 3ds max's material editor. Again, this saves memory. And in Shockwave 3d's case, increases download time because you don't have to download the texture. The color can be calculated at runtime, and for a web-based application, this is a good thing .

And Rockdrala, just unwrap this bitch and be done with it. Really, it might take an evening of work. Plus it will look better than having all solid colors on it.
Rockdrala
Years of Service
User Offline
and Vlad Direct X does sniff them out that screenshot above was taken with the Direct X SDK Package

Rockdrala
Years of Service
User Offline
bond1 in max or direct x? man i would prefer direct x... max is more useful in the initial design, and direct x is better for the deployment..

Rockdrala
Years of Service
User Offline
oh and thanks for that plugin... im snagging goldeneye stuff as i type...

bond1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2005 16:07 Edited at: 24th Dec 2005 16:14
Quote: "these were paint filled surfaces in Max... the conversion to x carried over the color attributes... "

You are absolutely killing me here, there is no such thing as "paint filled surfaces" in 3ds max. Unless that is your own made up lingo for the material editor. The ONLY way to apply color is through the material editor, or Vertex Pain modifier.[/quote]

Quote: "no they are not vertex colors.. if they were it would take millions of polys to see a whole tire in black"

LOL... Vertex colors paint the POLYGONS based on colors assigned to the vertices. It is specifically made for game developers, you don't need millions of polys.

Rockdrala, I am really trying to help you. I really am. But it just becomes more and more apparent that I'm talking with someone who has no clue how to use 3ds max. Its like we're talking 2 different languages.

Have fun with the N64 plugin, I never got around to dumping the Goldeneye stuff...
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2005 16:13
Wow, I just woke up, have you guys been doing this all night?

Vlad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2005 16:17 Edited at: 24th Dec 2005 16:18
Quote: "and Vlad Direct X does sniff them out that screenshot above was taken with the Direct X SDK Package"

I know... I answered to that... twice... you didn't get it. Why are we wasting each others time? You'll never understand what we are saying and you sure you are right, so, what's the point? I just messed up more than 1000 lines of code with this thread so, until I put it back alright, no turkey for me... or cod fish, that's what we use around here.

I'm out, good luck with coding that dll or whatever you want to do with it.

One last thing, even if you code evertything... how will you convince FPSC editor to acknowledge it? You can chance the engine, not the editor.

Quote: "Wow, I just woke up, have you guys been doing this all night?"

Nah... it's mid afternoon here, I woke up a few hours ago, did my aquariums and came here. Didn't develop much though.

Rockdrala
Years of Service
User Offline
sorry i as think of the option were you specifically color the poly line, if that was the case it would take a ton of them..

Rockdrala
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2005 16:19 Edited at: 24th Dec 2005 16:26
Why do they have to acknowledge it vlad?

is that a spot of brown I see on your nose there?

bond1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2005 16:21 Edited at: 24th Dec 2005 17:38
Nevermind
Rockdrala
Years of Service
User Offline
bond, i know how to unwrap. come on man!

did you read my other post about that error with that plugin you posted?

Darkbasic MADPSP
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2005 16:47
RockDrala

I need a caterham 7 made if you have some time please

Nice models

Experienced DB http://www.greatgames3d.com (work in progress site)
himynameisali
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2005 16:51
Very nice models Well done!

-- Try this at home, kids!
bond1
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "bond, i know how to unwrap. come on man!

did you read my other post about that error with that plugin you posted?
"

Oops, never mind then. Its really your only option at this point though.

Yeah check your Zelda thread, I couldn't open that pic you posted though.
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2005 16:56
Vlad you're into aquariums? So am I; freshwater only right now.

-Keith

Rockdrala
Years of Service
User Offline
Im going to try out that True space Keith was bragging about on my X models... its too early in the morning to be loading max lol

W H I S P E R
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2005 15:56
Just a correction,
You can change the usage of the car by changing scripts as i have seen it done on a tank!!!!!!!
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2006 13:43
We received a complaint from the original designer of these car models (Sebastian Dosch, the Manager of Dosch Design). There is no way in hell Rockdrala's models are 'based on' the Dosch ones, they are a complete rip and as such not permitted for download or re-distribution in any way.

This thread is locked, I will remove any associated downloads from it. Rockdrala's details have been passed onto Dosch Design.

Learn from this kids - don't rip other peoples hard work, you will ALWAYS get found out.

Cheers,

Rich

Exit Planet Dust

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-18 13:48:16
Your offset time is: 2024-05-18 13:48:16