Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Oct 2002 04:22
Ok, as far as DB goes and DBP, I'm a newbie I guess, but not to programming itself (just to let you all know ) anyways, is there a way to write DB and/or DBP code and compile that bad boy into a DLL? (ignore the US slang). I've been working on a level editor, but in order to load the levels, I'm going to have to write a TON of code in order to load one. If I could load it in 1 line (using a prebuilt LIB) then I could distribute it without guilt. Help?
1.00 GHZ processor, 256 MB RAM, GeForce 3 64MB, SB Live!, 8 cans of soda per day
waffle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2002 20:21
in simple terms... no.

in complicated terms:
1 - DB/DBPro can't make .dll files
so each level is basically a new program,
although parts can be reused...

2 - #Include or modules in DBPro
could be used as each level with the core
program (engine) kept unchanged in its own module,
but you program could only be expanded
from the original source.

3 - if you placed a level module into a DLL, what would be left for you core program to do?

4 - DLL files are best used for a function library that can be used by multiple projects or programs. I'm working on one that just does GUI that can be called from my DB projects. That helps give DB more of a windows feel, at least during the settup phase.

hope this answers your question.
The Wendigo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2002 21:03
I'm sorry, i wasn't clear. i have made a program that builds structure levels - like a bsp but with major differences. i'd like to be able to write a function that could load a prebuilt level structure. i don't want my game levels in a dll.

sorry for the lack of capitals, i accedently turned on key filters and now i can't shut it off! Wait, I DID IT!

1.00 GHZ processor, 256 MB RAM, GeForce 3 64MB, SB Live!, 8 cans of soda per day
waffle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2002 08:12
well, if you can find a way to store all level data into a text file and then just load each level from each text file,
then yes you could do your levels that way. Each text file would be a level.

just remember to place data into the file in the same order you will read them back, and you'll be ok.
Zed
Years of Service
User Offline
If you want to write a DLL with a load level function you'll have to do it in C or some other language. As for storing level info, I'd use a memblock as it's a chunk on memory that you can do whatever you want with include pass a pointer to it to a function in a DLL.

ChipOne
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2002 18:03
Lee Bamber is working on an SDK, from which you'll be able to build 'native' commands into DBP. I'm excited about this one as well as I'm writing an entity editor and would rather not have to write 100+lines of code to load the information I am saving from the edtior.

MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2002 02:44
Yes, it will be very useful; very useful indeed...

I've got a TEA encryption routine which would be much better as a proper command, along with my graphicCardAndMode module...

Yes, I really am THAT good...

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-23 07:57:43
Your offset time is: 2024-04-23 07:57:43