Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Scripts / Health Head System - Without Any Globalscript Editing

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello everybody

I found a way here to make the "health head system" work without the hassle of editing the setup.fpi outside the FPSC-editor. I've only tested it in single player mode yet though but it works like a charm.

Put a trigger zone right ontop of the player start position. Set the following .fpi-script as the main script of the trigger zone:

As the player spawns he/she will trigger the trigger zone and set off the script which will work in a kind of "global manner" handling the health heads through out the game. I use the activated-variable to make sure the script doesn't turn on and off the huds all the time even when no change in health has occured. That slight bit of extra code will save performace. Should the health hud that is defined inside the setup.fpi-script give you trouble you can always just assign a blank image to it (an image with only transparent color).

This technique with the "in-game triggered global script" is also good if you want a global script for some other reason without having to mess with the setup.fpi-script or alike. You might forinstance want a mission task system telling the player what he/she has to do to progress in the game, or a conversation system or maybe a inventory hud system? You can put all your huds in the same "player init trigger script" - you will still be able to reach those huds (as in turning them on and off forinstance) from other scripts simply by using the hud name!
Seth Black
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2005 16:11
Copper Head,

Greetings. Nice! This community needs more like you. This will indeed be of great use to myself, and many others I am sure.

Thanks,

Seth Black

"...I'm sorry, could you repeat your question a little louder? I'm a trifle deaf in this ear."

- Willie Wonka
Les Horribres
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Dec 2005 16:20
You only tested this on a small map right?

You NEED global scripting because the global script is never synced. If you walk about, 600 away, that script won't work too well, and it will take a lot of time for it to change heads.

And don't take this as a flame, it is just information passed on.

Merranvo, The Cool One

Anti-Noob Justice League, an ANJL of Mercy.
Copper Head
Years of Service
User Offline
Well no, i actually took it as contructive critisism. I hope it was nothing else meant from your side.

I've tried it on a map that fills about half of what's available to use per level in total and it have worked well under those conditions. I admit that once i go up to such a size and above i start to get performance pentalties quite rapidly regarding both in-game framerates and loading times.

Therefor i usually stick to quite small levels and make more of them linked together rather then one big one that takes enough time to load to make most players abandon the game before it finished loading.
Les Horribres
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2005 07:11 Edited at: 29th Dec 2005 12:20
On my old computer Diablo 2 would take 2 min to load, didn't stop me from playing. Or Return to Castle Wolfinstein would take 5-7 min to load. Also didn't stop me from playing. And currently, half-life 2 takes 5-7 min to load with annoying 2-3 min load times in levels.

Merranvo, The Cool One

Anti-Noob Justice League, an ANJL of Mercy.
Copper Head
Years of Service
User Offline
I did say most players. I would guess it also rely abit on what you're waiting for. I don't think FPSC created games are exactly putting the games out today out of the market. Should you make a level, which you currently can't with FPSC, that is as big as the ones in Half-Life 2 or Boiling Point which also is a game with high loading times i'd guess that it'd be more worth the wait.
Tom0001
Years of Service
User Offline
You can make something like a house with about 5 floors in one level-of course the loading time would be detrimental, but oh well-BIG level
Tom0001
Years of Service
User Offline
Just found this threas again-couldn't we simply add a bit to the triggerzone so it follows the player? Thus that 600 away that OnePost mentioned will not occur?

Tom

Support your local Riker 9 Chapter.
Les Horribres
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2006 02:24
skull

script + ::followplr

We all have our inner noob. Join the NJL, and have more fun!
I believe society is flawed; our notions on life, on child rearing, stem too far back to be of relevance in this day and time.
Tom0001
Years of Service
User Offline
Hmm-this one didn't work for me, but there is another one. Just do a search for Health which finds the other working one.

Tom

Les Horribres
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2006 02:42
the 'original'
habatar (sp) was the one who made it

We all have our inner noob. Join the NJL, and have more fun!
I believe society is flawed; our notions on life, on child rearing, stem too far back to be of relevance in this day and time.
randbo
Years of Service
User Offline
just what is a health head and what does it do?
what does this script do/
Tom0001
Years of Service
User Offline
Like the duke nukem head. as your health goes dowb, the head changes to a more bloody head. The health image is the head you see.

Tom

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 00:00:32
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 00:00:32