Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Models and Media / Models that will not take a texture of any kind.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I created a box and a lid to go on it. I got the box into the game as an entity just fine. I have pointed it to *.dds files and *.png files and it will not show a texture. Also the lid for the box does not show in the game. As I am spawning I can hear a noise like the lid is going somewhere. I look for the lid in the levels below and all around the level it is on and cannot find it. So I have this white box woth no lid. I bummed. Is there a way to make it work?

Even the persn that knows the most started out a novice with many questions. Patients and tolorance are the keys to the passage of knowledge. We all have something to earn.
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2005 20:35
You have to use .tga files for the texture, not .png files.

-Keith

"Some people are only alive because it's illegal to kill them".
Just One Old Man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2005 22:24
What KeithC said, and usually if your entity drops out of site on level entry it's because you have it positioned at the wrong starting height in your .X file. You can change that in your modeler.

/JOOM

The other night I was staring up at the stars, wrapped in thought and wondering............where the hell did my roof go?
incense
Years of Service
User Offline
I created the box using ".x" files that were already in SPFC and created the lid for the box using the SPFC-Signs program. The box has a *.tga for the texture. I have also tried *.png and *.dds files. Nothing seems to work. the box just wont show a texture. the box is static and the lid is not. Would that explain the lid disapearing and if so how?

Even the persn that knows the most started out a novice with many questions. Patients and tolorance are the keys to the passage of knowledge. We all have something to earn.
Les Horribres
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2005 23:22
is the texture in the correct folder, C:\Program Files\The Game Creators\FPS Creator\Files\texturebank ?
And makesure it is TEXTURE not ALTTEXTURE.

And Keith, as said Millions of times before, BMP, PNG, JPEG, TGA, and DDS are all supported.

Spawn right next to the box. and Show what happens.

Merranvo, The Cool One

Anti-Noob Justice League, an ANJL of Mercy.
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2005 23:32
There are a couple of reasons perhaps the box has no texture showing if you are using default FPSC .x files.

Make sure the correct path to your texture is indicated in the entity script file.

Make sure that you consistantly delete any .bin and .dbo files asscociated with your entity (be careful what you delete) while trying to get the texture to show up - this will ensure an update of the entity changes is forced.

Use .dds textures if possible may help. I never leave anything to FPSC in converting any texture to .dds for me - it cant be trusted.

Non default entities are another matter. They must have UV texture mapping applied and only one texture - 3DS for instance often have two - a default colour which is sometimes what you see in FPSC when there is no texture. FPSC will show the default colour (seen as a texture) in preference to any "real" texture when saved out as an .x file from some progs. If you can see the two separate - default colour/texture in Milkshape then delete the first colour - leaving just a texture on the object before saving to .x file. Then FPSC will not even look for the default base object colour.

As to the lid - if you cant find it - remember it has to be located in the same position as the box in your modeller except the vertical one. To ascertain its existance in FPSC try making the object static and placing it alone in a test level - make a three story room - say four tiles square - that should give you a big box - remove all intermediate floors but place one floor tile half way up the room levels on say level 3 in the centre and place the player there. Place your object in the centre of your box/large room at level 2 below the player position and not quite under the player tile position - somewhere between the player pos and the end of your room - that way when you test run the level you should now be able to look downnwards and see the object if it exists at all.

If the object is truely static and immobile it should be where you placed it. If you cat see it it may be invisible or may be way off centre in the model prog when created.

Try some of those things and remember if you hve problems - a little thinking and a simple test level is a great way of isolating problems.

Think logically and use a process of elimination.

That will do the trick.
Les Horribres
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2005 23:42 Edited at: 31st Dec 2005 03:23
V1 fixed the DBO and BIN problem. Just a note.

On segments, just an edit.

Merranvo, The Cool One

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2005 00:13
Well, Merranvo, where exactly has it been said a million times before? I looked at the FAQ from TGC concerning textures and model imports, and all it says is .TGA or.DDS files.

http://www.fpscreator.com/faq_3d.html

So where exactly has it been said a million times before?

Les Horribres
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2005 00:21
mabey 200, every time someone says only dds and tga I REMIND you guys of the other formats.

Merranvo, The Cool One

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2005 00:35
200 sounds better

incense
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2005 00:54 Edited at: 31st Dec 2005 01:16
uman

Your post was very confusing. Mostly just the way it was worded I think.

Just One Old Man

Quote: "What KeithC said, and usually if your entity drops out of site on level entry it's because you have it positioned at the wrong starting height in your .X file. You can change that in your modeler."

Again the lid for the box was created using the FPSC-Signs program. The box was created using the square.x file in 3D Canvas. The box is static and the lid is not. I have done this before and had it work, but not this time. There must be something different.

If I make the lid static it stays where I need it but I need it to be non-static so that it can be moved.

I have tried all of the above and still no texure.

I have imported entities before and they worked fine but once in a while I get this issue. It has never been resolved. I just usually abandon the import and try something else. I was hoping the results might be different this time. The fact that I have done it before and had it work means that I have the basics down.

What I do know:
1) the supported texture formats.
2) how to define a path to the texture.
3) That the texture does not have to be in the texture folder (If the path is properly defined it shoudl work anyway).

Its just that it happens once an a while without resolution. Without touching on the basics, what could be the problem?

Even the person that knows the most started out a novice with many questions. Patients and tolorance are the keys to the passage of knowledge. We all have something to learn.
Les Horribres
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2005 03:24 Edited at: 31st Dec 2005 03:50
And set the texture path in the FPSC...

Do you have "c:program files\thegamecreators\fps creator\files" ?
If so, remove all that.

Merranvo, Teh S \/|03|2 7I<><>I3
Anti-Noob Justice League, what's that?
transient
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2005 05:49
It could also be that importing the box into 3DCanvas is wiping out the UV coordinates.

That's just a guess.

instinct is more valuable than intelligence.....
tschwarz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Dec 2005 07:09
I had a similar problem using 3DCanvas

Open the .x file in question using notepad.
scroll to the bottom, do you see a section
named AnimationSet ?
incense
Years of Service
User Offline
M 3 I2 I2 4 7I V 0

Quote: "Do you have "c:program files\thegamecreators\fps creator\files" ?
If so, remove all that."

That is one of the basics I have covered.

transient

Quote: "It could also be that importing the box into 3DCanvas is wiping out the UV coordinates."

I have tried remapping the uv and 3D Canvas just says that it needs a texture to do that. Since there is not texture applied in 3D Canvas, I am connecting the model to the texture through FPSC, it fails.

tschwarz

Quote: "Open the .x file in question using notepad.
scroll to the bottom, do you see a section
named AnimationSet ? "

Here is the info at the bottom of the box1.x file.

AnimationSet x3dc_0 {

Animation World {
{World}
AnimationOptions { 1; 0; }
AnimationKey {
2;
1;
0; 3; 5.00E+00, -1.384739E+01, 6.748438E-02;;;
}
AnimationKey {
0;
1;
0; 4; 6.983173E-01, -7.157884E-01, -1.249763E-07, 0.00E+00;;;
}
}
}

Being new at this I have no idea what it means. Can you enlighten me?

Even the person that knows the most started out a novice with many questions. Patients and tolorance are the keys to the passage of knowledge. We all have something to learn.
tschwarz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2006 03:25
Sorry I don't know why, but if you delete all that it will probably work. When I get some time I should figure out why
it's adding an animation section.

Make sure you make a copy of your .x file prior to making any changes, just in case. Hope it works for you.
incense
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2006 04:19 Edited at: 1st Jan 2006 04:42
tschwarz

Quote: "Sorry I don't know why, but if you delete all that it will probably work. When I get some time I should figure out why
it's adding an animation section. "

If I delete the info from box1.x file:

AnimationSet x3dc_0 {

Animation World {
{World}
AnimationOptions { 1; 0; }
AnimationKey {
2;
1;
0; 3; 5.00E+00, -1.384739E+01, 6.748438E-02;;;
}
AnimationKey {
0;
1;
0; 4; 6.983173E-01, -7.157884E-01, -1.249763E-07, 0.00E+00;;;
}
}
}

I get- "Runtime Error 7018 - Could not load 3D object at line 13258" and then the SPFC crashes.

Edit:

I opened the box1.x and saw that the script was as such:
}

Material mat_1 {
1.00E+00;1.00E+00;1.00E+00;1.00E+00;;
1.096E+01;
1.00E+00;1.00E+00;1.00E+00;;
0.00E+00;0.00E+00;0.00E+00;;

So I made it:
}

Material mat_1 {
1.00E+00;1.00E+00;1.00E+00;1.00E+00;;
1.096E+01;
1.00E+00;1.00E+00;1.00E+00;;
0.00E+00;0.00E+00;0.00E+00;;
TextureFilename
{
"stone_wall1_D2.dds";
}

Now the new box entity has the texture that I want it to have.

Now all I have to do is find out why the lid wont stay.

Quote: "the box is static and the lid is not. Would that explain the lid disapearing and if so how?"

transient
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2006 05:21
Amabalis have their own forums including one here, perhaps you'll be better off asking there.

instinct is more valuable than intelligence.....
Les Horribres
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2006 06:43
Well, Physics sucks,

But do what I told you to, place the start marker where the lid spawns and tell us what happens.

Merranvo, Teh S \/|03|2 7I<><>I3
Anti-Noob Justice League, what's that?
incense
Years of Service
User Offline
there are others here that use 3D Canvas. I would prefer to get the answers from people that use it for the same thing that I do. Thanks for the pointer anyway. There are people that just might have the answers I need here, and enjoy a good puzzle. Besides the questions about that have all been answered. Now I have an issue getting one entity to stay on top of another.

The box is static. If the lid is static then it sits on the box just fine. If it is not then it dissapears as I spawn into the game.

Static= lid stays
Dynamic= Lid gone

That the only problem I have with this right now.

Any ideas?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-18 11:55:44
Your offset time is: 2024-05-18 11:55:44