Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / StarShip fire engines

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2006 19:11
Well, if you should represent the fire of the engines of a starship 3D, what it should be the best method?, using fire particles (that slow down the frames)or another method like sprites. Like the starship is 3d sprites will not be right because sprites are plain bitmaps and the starship is in 3d World.... so, really i don't like particles for the high cost in frames per second, but maybe particles is the solution..

Welcome ideas!!!

Thanks!!
Dark Lord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2006 03:04
I would use custom .bmp images for particles in this case, as I don't think it would be easy to represent the engine fire with the built in db ( )... commands.
Acolyte
Years of Service
User Offline
I agree. Using custom images as transparent sprites is probably the way to go here. If you wanted to make is more 3d than just putting an animated sprite onto the ship thrusters you could try this. Make a cub object that fits inside the thruster. UV map transparent, animated sprites on each side of the cube. Top, bottom, back, and the sides. You won't need to do the front because it will be inside the ship. After you map them onto the cube just make sure the transparency is turned on and see what happens. You could also do something like a cylinder and just wrap the uv fire around the cylinder and animate that. I hope i helped a little.

The scarecrow has no mind, but serves its function well.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-17 11:04:52
Your offset time is: 2024-05-17 11:04:52