Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Any fast game made with DarkSDK?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2006 18:26
I would like to know any fast and commercial game made with DarkSDK? Can anybody put some link to this kind of projects?
I have doubts about the 3dengine speed

Thanks
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2006 19:48
Have a look at some of the games in the Puzzle Game forums.

Blog:http://spaces.msn.com/members/BouncyBrick/
Web Site:http://www.nicholaskingsley.co.uk
Smoke me a computer chip, I'll be baking breakfast.
Fernando Castro
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2006 21:04
There are any benchmark of most popular 3d engines, and the DarkSDK in the benchmark?
Vlad
Years of Service
User Offline
Don't take any benchmarks for granted Fernando.

Anyway, how would it be possible to compare benchmarks of game engines with absolute sure results? Someone would have to build the exact same game with several engines, and still a lot of factors could be discussed and the results, in the end, inconclusive.

Anyway, being fast or not depends on what you want to do. I'm getting 100 FPS anytime I want, but I only need about 30 FPS. It's all a matter of comparing what you want with what is available. There's no one size fits all projects. See what you want, write some good documentation for yourself ( a design doc will help ) and then search the tool that gets the job done. Maybe it's DG, maybe it's something else, really depends what you are trying to achieve.

Good luck.

I'm pretty sure I know everything. Doubts are something rare in me and I am never wrong, as this signature can prove.
Smithy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2006 08:45 Edited at: 17th Jan 2006 08:46
Yeah, the speed depends upon your game-framework, the DarkGame engine provides you with the core for gfx, sound, music, input, control, collision etc.
Your job is to create a specific game-engine with it.
As you can see, the speed really depends on your code.
And with the DarkGame-engine, its the same thing as you can
find with 3d-modellers, music production tools etc,
if you manage to "master" the tool then your result will be good.
If you have an uber-engine/tool/app but you don't manage to "master" it, your result won't be as good as the one of a "master" who's using a "not-that-good"-tool or whatever.

Personally, I've decided to go with the DarkGame SDK as I just started with game-development and I don't have a lot of spare time for doing so,
now, I didn't want to write one from scratch and I wanted something "not-that-complicated",
there are many engines available so the decision is hard and you
never know if it was the right decision at the beginning!
Though, you just have to pick one and start working with it,
then, with the experience, the knowledge comes and
when you "know what you want", you can always switch to another
engine. (of course, you write your engine the way that you can switch to another core-engine)
The DarkGame-engine is some kind of "simple" as it is based upon a basic-dialect, so I thought its great to get started.
(and I still feel the same way)

Maybe later, you're using a more high-end engine (maybe its more expensive too) and then you still can use the DarkGame Development Kit as a kind of prototyping tool as you can quickly write up a little app with it's "basic"-commands.

Also, the DARK force is calling inside me
I like the DARK community and the TGC team...
but its your decision really.

Regards,
DaByte aka smithy

//Awards: Best DM at NeverwinterConventionIII (NWCon3)
//Sys: Pentium IV 3200E/Prescott;800Mhz FSB;HT;WinXPPro;ATIR9700PRO;1024MB RAM(2x512MB"DualChanneled";VC++7.net;Delphi6;ADSL512;
Fernando Castro
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2006 15:36
Yes, it's right, the speed is a "human factor" depending of how you program. If you made a simple project and the frames slow down so much, maybe it's for the hardware, i thought... but with the same hardware i run commercial games fast... my conclusion is that DarkSDK it's good for the easy programming, but the hardware requirements are high for getting a fast game... I use a AMD +2400, runnig at 2 Ghz and it's not enought
Vlad
Years of Service
User Offline
I use a P4 (low speed don't recall exactly) 512MB ram, 128MB video and it's fast.

I wonder what are you working on...

I'm pretty sure I know everything. Doubts are something rare in me and I am never wrong, as this signature can prove.
Briere
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2006 23:35
Your computer must be defective then... it works fine if you can program correctly.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-19 06:05:47
Your offset time is: 2024-05-19 06:05:47