Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Scripts / Save / Load Script (Basic)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi,

I was Wondering what is the Big Deal here with Save/ Load Functions.

I think that if this program is designed in a 'Basic' Language (Such As Dark Basic, Visual Basic, Q basic...) a few lines of coding would solve the problem.

For Example :

game_save(string(global.plname)+".sav")

The Above Code could be A 'Script' Attached to key 'F5'

Same with the Key 'F6' (of course the command will change to game_load)

If this is Not Possible, something Else might be :

When a Player 'Touches' the 'Checkpoint' Area Marker, a script could be executed (like the Above one) and a Message could pop up (Game Saved).

Then, Using a Menu Option (Load), the Game Could be Loaded at the Checkpoint Area of the Stage.

Do you Think it's Possible?

P.S : When I first asked 2 years ago about Real Ragdoll Physics in a 'Basic' Language AND in 2d games, everyone said it's impossible,
but now, We managed to Get it to work Flowless in 2D. Nothing is impossible.

Cheers,
Mismatch

- Even A broken Clock can Show the Time Correct, 2 times a Day... -
Chenak
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2006 14:40
No, it is not that simple, otherwise there would have been a 3rd party patch already. Have you seen the source code?

You would need to save the weapons you have, ammo you got, amount of health, lives, every single trigger that has been activated, the player position, enemy positions and health and the list goes on.

You would have to sift through all the source code to get that info and then find a way to save it to file without screwing everything up. It is not impossible, but if you actually try for yourself you will see how insanely difficult it is to do it right.
Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2006 14:54
Dark Basic really isn't that much of a 'Basic' Language, it's much more complicated then you think.

If it really was that easy, even TGC would have implemented it in V1....

MegaMusic Pack 01.... 31 original soundtracks for your games!
http://www.aeilkema.dds.nl/mega/index.html
Mismatch
Years of Service
User Offline
Well you have a point but you know how 'versions' work.
There would be no major 'Update' in the version 2 unless they had...skip some things. It would just be the same program with new models. And that would mean no more sales. Basic principal of marketing.

Or you think that they will NOT release a Version 2 that will include the save/load, chat for multiplayer and other minor things?

We are talking about the Coders of the Program here, They know how to do it (I want to believe that). As I said before, 'Ragdoll Effects' and Real Physic system WAS SUPPOSED to be Impossible(!) in another Game making Program I used to Work on. But we Did it! It just took Time (As you say, you have to search the entire code and find the right spots).

I said it before, You have a point, but it just needs work, it's not impossible.

Cheers,
Mismatch

Les Horribres
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2006 01:37
Ohh, it isn't that hard... any programmer know that, 5 min. What is hard is buying DBP

Simply save everysingle array, list, variable and you have a save command and because of the glorious invention of GOD you can just import all variables and start exactally where you left off. Simple. Just is stupid without any other updates. And a massive waste of disk space.

Merranvo, The Cool One
Noob Justice League, Cause We Have More Fun
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2006 06:18 Edited at: 19th Jan 2006 06:46
@Chenak
Quote: "You would need to save the weapons you have, ammo you got, amount of health, lives, every single trigger that has been activated, the player position, enemy positions and health and the list goes on. "

I think all you need to save is ...
(1) Last Level/Checkpoint Number
(2) Lives
(3) Health
(4) Weapons
(5) Ammo

The active states of the entities can reset to their defaults.
The player would restart at the last level/checkpoint reached before they saved their game.
I think we should keep it simple if we want to see it as a reality.

@Mismatch
Quote: "a few lines of coding would solve the problem"

If it is so easy, then ....
Please do it!
We are all waiting.

Whatever you can imagine, you can animate. --- Walt Disney
All too easy. --- Darth Vader
Just do it! --- Nike
Mismatch
Years of Service
User Offline
Unfortunatelly, I DON'T HAVE TIME!!!!!! (You don't know how miserable this thing makes me. I don't have time to go through the code, I don't have time to create an Fps game, cause Deadlines are chasing me!!!)

Damn Deadlines!

P.S : When I'll find time It will be the first thing to do (to search for an answer to our problem).

Cheers Guys,
Keep The GOOD work up!

Mismatch.

Les Horribres
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2006 00:25
Quote: "(1) Last Level/Checkpoint Number
(2) Lives
(3) Health
(4) Weapons
(5) Ammo"

*rollz eyez*

Yeah, 8bit games, here we come. Conjured, it isn't hard. And particulary Getting half the way though one of my levels alive is going to be a challange. Now do you want to restart the whole level? No, the whole thing is easy. And even CB knows it, I have reason to believe he has already done it. The problem is size, for the saves get big fast, unless you put in some stuff to make it better.

Also, Your method calls for a save at the beginning of each level. Else you would have some errors.

Merranvo, The Cool One
Noob Justice League, Cause We Have More Fun
Tom0001
Years of Service
User Offline
Sooo much data must be stored when a game is saved:
-Lives
-Exact Position
-Direction Facing
-Enemy Positions
-Entity Positions(e.g. dynamic crates)
-Weapons player has