Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2006 00:12
If anyone has any experience or expertise to offer (for example IanM, Batvink...?) please take a look at the current dbpro challenge here - http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=48011&b=1&p=69, if you get the chance.

The current challenge is to use the ODE commands to create some kind of physics demo involving a moving ball. I, for example, am having a go at making a pool table - my code so far is on the page I linked to above.

However, the amount of information on the commands, as far as I've managed to find, is quite limited. Hopefully with a bit of experimenting we'll be able to get a bit further with how it all works.

Cheers,

Ric.

Kenjar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2006 01:57
How can anyone have expertise when theres no documentation?

Milkman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2006 02:25
experimentation

formerly xMik
Ric
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2006 11:04
Quote: "How can anyone have expertise when theres no documentation? "

The documentation is limited, but that doesn't mean there isn't any knowledge on the subject. Batvink has written a tutorial on it, and IanM I believe has added some commands. Someone else has written an ini file - others have just played around with it. If people pool their knowledge, we may be able to figure it out without having to wait for the help files.

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2006 11:51 Edited at: 30th Jan 2006 12:02
I wish I had time to get into the coding compo thread, I imagine it's a good way to waste a few hours

A couple of things I noticed in your thread:

Quote: "I think there's a problem with spheres in ode, because they tend to slide, not roll"

That's true of the first release. IanM fixed this, but I can't remember where the attachment is.

The word bounce appears a lot in the thread! That would be nice, but I'm not sure it's going to happen unless IanM has weaved some more magic. Here's the problem...

The material characteristic switches such as friction, bounce and softness are all part of one value. For example, friction is bit 1, bounce is bit 2 etc. There is a bug which means only one of these can be switched on at once. If you want bounce, you can't have friction!

Maybe IanM fixed it, I don't recall.

Quote: "How can anyone have expertise when theres no documentation?"

I'm no expert, but I make sure my tutorials teach me something too. I pick a topic, or Rich suggests one, and I set about taking what I already know and making it better. In this case, I knew about Physics via Newton, and replicated the basics in ODE.

The tutorials are a good starting point for stuff like this, but the coding challenge is a better way to put it into practise and consolidate your knowledge. The tutorials are my own little coding challenge

IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2006 13:59
Quote: "Maybe IanM fixed it, I don't recall"

I did. The original code used addition/subtraction to set and clear flags (very silly in my view) - I changed it to use bit modification.

I've made a post in the DLL forum that contains the ODE plug-in. All future updates (if any at this point) will be made there : http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=70582&b=18

For free Plug-ins and source code http://www.matrix1.demon.co.uk
Nicholas Thompson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2006 14:28
cool - although this does have implications for the challenges thread as people might have to have the most up to date DLL..

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-02 04:52:47
Your offset time is: 2024-05-02 04:52:47