Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Matrix Normals... ?:P?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I know what matrix normals are but how do you properly use them? the specific effect i'm looking for is to smoothen out the area in which matrix tile corners meet...to make smooth hills rather than sharp areas...I got DBE...
TGWDNGHN
Years of Service
User Offline
oh and while your at it...what should be the first time a game a newbie should make? a 3D maze?

denki
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2002 10:48
Smooth hills? Will sin or something do it? (I'm not a maths wizz so I can't help there) but as a first game, try pong, or make a simple fps with a bsp and a few enemys, no Quake beaters yet though But as you get better you might want to adapt it into a bigger game so it's up to you.
I never personally done a game to start with, just a load of useless programs (all lost now ) but I done a small pong game (sucked ) and a few FPS tests and know I'm working on my big project at last

denki
Kousen DPB RPG latest - Working on editors!
TGWDNGHN
Years of Service
User Offline
neh...I'm only in Alegebra Honors Classes so I haven't gotten to sine,cosine,tagent and all that other STUFF yet...probably next year...can someone TEACH me what cosine,sine, and tangent are and how to use them?

Bangla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2002 00:18
TGWDNGHN:
I didn't know what sin,cos and tan was either, but I looked it up on the Internet. Believe it or not, but there's a wealth of sites about maths and not all is complicated. Here is a link to one I found useful. It has sin, tan, cos and the like in it.

http://www.physicsclassroom.com/Class/vectors/vectoc.html

A english speaking person might have no problem with the math terms but since it's not my native language, I had some problems in the beginning, but... that's just me!

400 Mhz, 120 Meg, TNT2 - and then some...
The Darthster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2002 02:49
sine, cosine and tangent are angle functions that will let you find out angles in a right angled triangle if you know the length of the sides, and vice-versa. However in programming they are more useful for creating nice smooth waves, and plotting circular paths for objects. As an angle increases from 0 to 360, sin and cos will make a wave pattern from 1 to -1, and you can use this to make kind-of smooth hills, if you set the matrix height to the sin of an angle. Of course since the functions only produce numbers between 1 and -1, you will have to multiply the sin of an angle by a coefficient to get any noticeable effect.
This code will prodice a sine wave:

and a cos wave (basically a sin wave moved on by 90 degrees)

Normalisation is hard, I couldn't get my head round it when I tried to do it.

I never realised how hard it is to explain the usefulness of sin and cos, I use them fluently in just about every program I make, but trying to explain them to someone else is really hard. It's probably too late at night to explain anything useful.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 13:19:48
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 13:19:48