Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / fire in DGSDK

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I want to make some sort of fire/explosion, but using the dbMakeFireParticles() isn't working for me. I've looked all over the DB forums, and the Particle and Cloth Pack seems to be a good option, but it isn't for DGSDK, and I found nothing else that pertains to this subject. Any suggestions?
Acolyte
Years of Service
User Offline
I had the same problem a while ago when i was trying to make something of a hologram effect for my game. The solution that I came up with was to map a uv texture to a 3d object, and then ghost the object from within the SDK. It worked for my hologram, but i'm not sure how well it would work for moving fire. Um...you could spend a little bit of money on a program like ExGen from the game creators website to make a custom effect for your game. From within this program you can make a customized particle effect and export the effect to a bitmap or separate image files so that you could make an animated sprite of the effect and just use transparency for it in the program. I'm sure there is some really advanced mathematical formula that you could use to make the particles simulate real fire from within the SDK, but I have no formula for you. If you wanted to go in this direction you should probably search for something like a fire algorithm for 3d programs off the internet and see if you could incorporate it in with the particles. Good question.

The scarecrow has no mind, but serves its function well.
Barnski
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2006 20:52
As for the "fire" I would suggest to do what professional games do;

1) create 2 (or more) sprites/planes with an animated texture (and one that is visible from above) with alpha values.

2) add some fire-particles (small planes/polygons) that do randomly move in 2d-direction (or with a sine-curve), but steadily upwards.

For the explosion I just made a class, that does the following:

1) create n-planes that move from a position outwards, using precalculated sine-values to simulate the fly-curve. using abs value of sine you can make them bounce of the ground...
maybe you can add fire effect to them using a plane that faces always towards the camera.

2) create 2 sprites as before with the fire, but this time they have a smoke texture, can be animated.

I am nearly done with number 1, and I think that the way I described how to do it are adequate enough, or, if you have better ideas, please share them as I did

greets,
Barnski.

-- I just started with DarkSDK, by translating DBP Projects. --

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-17 09:17:42
Your offset time is: 2024-05-17 09:17:42