Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Scripts / Player move commands

Author
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2006 23:44
Does anyone have experience of successful working player move commands?

i.e. plrmovedown =X
plrmoveeast =X

and so on?

I am looking for confirmation that the player move commands are working as I have not been able to get them to do so up until now.

What I would like to do is get the player to be forced in the direction I require within the parameters offered when in proximity to an entity or preferably when the player enters a triggerzone area - so that the player be forced away/out from it.

Has anyone got this or similar to work?

I will keep trying to see if I can find a solution.

Thank you

brummel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2006 00:45
In which assosiations have you tried that? I.e. plprinzone, plrdistwithin etc.?

-Stavros the Zombie Slayer- Coming Summer 2006
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2006 00:47
Both of those and others
brummel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2006 00:55
Hm, it didnt work for me either but i believe that merranvos jetpackscript uses the plrmoveup commando.

uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2006 01:15
The jetpack uses the moveup command to move an object with which the player is associated.

In that instance the object - the player is asociated with cannot recogonise the proximity of another entity or object and thus avoid it by being forced away from it. Its for the jetpack in fact I am trying to get this to work - though the plrmove commands also in a working condition would also be very useful for many other scenarios.

For example when the player hits something that may hurt him and should throw him back a little. i.e. forcefild, laser, electric shock

This of course works by default in the case of explosions as its in built to the engine by default and the user has no control over that other than the amount of force of the explosion.

What we need is user control over these plrmove commands and functions and I am not sure we have it which is what I am trying to ascertain and achieve.

brummel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2006 01:30
Quote: "For example when the player hits something that may hurt him and should throw him back a little. i.e. forcefild, laser, electric shock"

Ive been thinking of that too, or maybe when a big enemy is punching you, like the strogglike enemy Disturbing 13 made.
It looks like these commands doesnt work, maybe the TGC took it away just like they did with the save/load commands.

uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2006 01:48
Well I am not sure that they dont work - hopefully someones has got them working and will respond to this.

If not an testing seems to indicate that these commands are not working then this needs to be entered officially as a bug or issue that needs fixing as soon as possible so that TGC can consider implimenting the commands in any update.

Les Horribres
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2006 02:11
Smiles...
I looked into it... apearantly either lee has some trick going on, or it ignores the memovingy# variables compleatly.

Okay, got it. Lee is a do later guy. You know what he does with all the plr move commands?

if memovingx#<>0.0
memovingx#=0.0
endif
if memovingy#<>0.0
memovingy#=0.0
endif
if memovingz#<>0.0
memovingz#=0.0
endif
lol.

So no, plrmove does not work under any conditions. (Unless the variables morphed some how)
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2006 02:26
Merranvo,

Thanks for that.

Actually as far as I can tell - its worse than that.

Looks like none of the entity (non player ones) commands/actions for move or force work either.

If thats the case then thats quite a large propotion of the actions list which are a waste of space and thats before I discover what else does not work

Can you or anyone esle confirm this also?

If this is the case I must contact TGC regarding this before too much time passes - this really needs fixing badly. (like much else really) You know I have an engine with a shedful of commands and actions which dont work - which should be to make games making with FPSC what it should and is obviously intended to be by TGC if the missing stuff was working as at some time was intended, not to mention any that arnt there that could well be added to add much needed behaviours to FPSC games.

By the way as mentioned I was looking into all this when working with the jetpack as I need to get the script or something else to force the player downwards away from any obstacle above for obvious reasons - thus far without any success - as you could probably have guessed - its a kind of contradiction to what the jetpack does - Any ideas on this one?

I have not given up yet and will find a workaround by one means or another.

Cheers

Les Horribres
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2006 04:45
Is this via source? or Via FPSC? Because entitys can only move (excluding followplr from ea) if they are enemys.
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2006 06:28 Edited at: 27th Feb 2006 06:46
Merranvo,

I am not editing source.

I am not sure your statement is strictly true, but I undertstand what you are saying.

I do not quite understand the exact relativity of your statement as numerous kinds of entities which are not enemies in any true sense of the word can be made to move around, but in most instances - perhaps all, they have some association in their script to the "plr".

Indeed the jetpack entity moves around, I have non enemy flying objects which move around independantly of any path for instance -which is not needed for them to do so, they do not use anything but a fairly simmple non default script in which they do follow the player as thats what they need do, but they do not use the follow player comands but rather similarly - move to target commands - of course any object can move along paths too and they dont have to be enemies.

Some existing and working commands/actions such as floatrate can force a non enemy entity to move in some way or other so it is possible within very restricted limits to move things about to some extent at least by cheating or workarounds. Even the properties of the physics can make objects float or fall and bounce - but all of these things and perhaps others are difficult to control in ways one might need in order to move objects around in gameplay in response to various game scenarios or in response to player actions.

Thats why we need those missing commands/actions referred to here that dont work. Only God and TGC knows as usual why they are included but dont work, why on earth not?

So I have to make an entity - and the jetpack an enemy - are you trying to tell me that some movement actions are indeed working and if so they would follow those movement actions and say movefore=100 if that was apllied?

Certainly in the instance of the jetpack I think thats easier said than done.

As to other entities I will test and look see.

But I appreciate your statement and the said info relating to non entities not being able to move - I am just not asking really not only about what they do by default or what they wont, but also if indeed they dont then what am I going to do to make sure they do move when and where I want them to when I want them to if necessary?

i.e. I dont easily take cant for an answer - though some things are impossible many as you know can have at least some partial success by some workaround or other - I really dont care how or how difficult it is to achieve - I already spend vast amounts of time trying to get things to work in FPSC that it dont want to let work by default or does not support in any way available to the normal user.

Thus far few things are stubborn enugh to be impossible to do....

This may be one of them but I wont give up on it - even if it cant do it - I'll knock my head against the wall for a little while longer yet until I exhaust all possibilities of a workaround I can think of.

Then I will just wait and see what any upgrade to FPSC brings and go back and try again if necessary.

I got into this because I want to use the jetpack I am using indoors and want to sop the player from moving upwards and moving through ceilings to the outside of the level which crashes the engine and game. What I need therefore is to find a way to get the jetpack to recognise an object (ceiling segment or entity) (via proximity) above the player when using it and flying upwards and then do its move down bit so that the player never collides with the ceilings. Or another method of preventing contact with said ceilings.

If I cannot find a working answer to this any other way I will be forced to call upon my final solution which is not the one of my choice, but rest assured the player will not get through the ceiling to the outdoors - that I guarantee - I will prevent that from happening. Alternatiively I could choose not to include the jetpack in the game but now that this and FPSC has bugged me I'll be damned if I will let it beat me and not include it whatever the cost in terms of effort required.

In it will go and effectively it will work the way I want in terms of the gameplan one way or another.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 14:17:17
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 14:17:17