Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Anyone know anything about phonelines?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I want to split my line so i can use the net and the phone at the same time.

and i carnt get broadband, so what could i get that would speed up my internet without having to have a new line put in.

Cheers all.
rapscaLLion
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2002 20:41
I don't think you can actually... course I don't know for sure.

Alex Wanuch
aka rapscaLLion
Get the DB Weekly Newsletter at www.dbwn.cjb.net
haggisman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2002 22:38
unless you have enough money to get a satelite connection, or you live in a wireless broadband area or are really lucky and live in a trial area for powerline internet there arent any other options.

Specs:- 1GHZ athlon, Radeon8500, 192mb ram
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2002 01:02
depends itsallgood
ISDN, doesn't require an extra line - most ISPs now have seperate phonelines for it ... and doesn't cost anymore (unless you live in the UK and are on BT connected to BTanytime, then its just insane!)
There is a Radio DSL, Sat, Cable
Depends on your needs really, most Cable companies do ADSL/Broadband through thier Cable system now (as they are just Digital Network Systems already setup)

I'd just check what exactly is being offered in the area and by whom, as oftenly there is more choice than you relise.

Holy jumping mother of god NOOOO!!!...
Ahem I mean, I'll think about it
Spelljammer
Years of Service
User Offline
Haggisman, hey, what have you heard about the power line internet? I read something a few years ago and then nothing. It was supposed to be about 2Gbps and the signal could traverse transformers. Have you seen a web site on this stuff? Not just theory, but some company who is actually doing it.

indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2002 23:14
microsoft have invested a lot of research money into the powerline data transfer.

Every powerpoint in your home can be a network port also if they pull that off.

New white goods that are power networked make sense for consumerism and product sales.

If your isp has the v92 protocol then u can recieve a call and answer it and hang within 30 seconds then u will still be online.

There isnt really a way to make 2 lines at once since there isnt a method of slicing out the voice sounds from the modem sounds.

You would need another phone line or have access to a telephone system account while online and using the pc and the phone.

Pull your phone from the line if u surf the net, It will greatly improve the impeedance on the line.

U can but cheaper broadband packages lately that are probably more economical for one user.

no website at moment
haggisman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2002 00:51
powerline link: http://www.hydro.co.uk/broadband/
they are the only company that i know of that are doing trials in the UK, and it really looks a long way off.

and a little more info http://theregister.co.uk/content/22/27221.html

Specs:- 1GHZ athlon, Radeon8500, 192mb ram

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 06:46:19
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 06:46:19