Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

3 Dimensional Chat / Modelling/Texturing

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi. I can do a small amount of programming, but I can't really go much further without the appropriate models I want. I COULD just nuy DarkMATTER, but frankly, I don't think I would use all that much for it to be worth it... So, i was wondering, what program would be the best for making my own models (hardly ANY experience so it must be very user friendly!!!), and texture them. Also, where could I find some good tutorials to the program you might suggest???

KurtCobain
james1980
Years of Service
User Offline
go to www.caligari.com
for one of the true space programs starting at $99
if you buy it a must is u/v cow program makes
textureing very easy true space is a must
for a begginer not gmax.
james1980
Years of Service
User Offline
true space is king of easy once you get used to it
tuts are on the caligari site.
I started with truespace5 now I make allright models.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2002 14:20
viva la trueSpace
(finally someone who like tS)

Holy jumping mother of god NOOOO!!!...
Ahem I mean, I'll think about it
AlecM
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2002 00:44
I like Truespace

Goto http://www.shellshockede.com
pathfinder
Years of Service
User Offline
I Love Lightwave well till they knocked $500 off the price the gits . The mesh tools are really really good. Intrestingly if you get the demo you can create up to 200 polys per layer and save the model out. You cant save animation with the demo version but there are plenty of other apps that can cope with it. Also you can get the discovery version see www.newtek.com dunno if their still doing this though . Also rhino is worth a look if you every want to get into autocad later in life, very similar commands.

Help can be found at
http://members.shaw.ca/lightwavetutorials/Main_Menu.htm

and
http://www.newtek.com

Texturing can be a pain. But its also the point when your model comes alive. I use Deep Paint 3D, but usually as a rough guide for where I want details to go, then paint it up in paintshop pro. You could just use paintshop pro really.

actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2002 18:30
I like 3DStudio Max...

/receives dead frog in the face...

pathfinder
Years of Service
User Offline
the mesh editing tools in max did turn my head, maybe ill buy it at some point.

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2002 19:39
mesh editing tools in max are pathetic compaired to most of the other products... and to boot they're overly complex for the simplest of operations.

... ya know this may just be my getting old here, but did you say you like Lightwave until they took $500 off the price?? ... for me when they take down the price of products i normally feel like its my lucki day

still, nothing really beats trueSpace

Ahem I mean, I'll think about it
pathfinder
Years of Service
User Offline
not when you bought the product 6 months BEFORE they dropped the price

actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2002 16:47
About Max's mesh editing tools,I have found few software that Flips edges except for Milkshape,Wings3D and Aztec(extreme beta)...I bet Lightwave has it,but I didn't get that far before being completely annoyed at the interface.I'm more of a standard winapp type...Same thing as with trueSpace.

I personally think this is a must-have in Low-polygon modeling...

Of course I didn't try them all,around 25 though.

pathfinder
Years of Service
User Offline
I saw a few pics/review of max 5's poly editing tools, looked interesting.

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2002 08:57
Milkshape flips edges...
just select the 2 faces/polygon you need to flip, then press ctrl-e
learn something new everyday eh

actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2002 18:18
-About Max's mesh editing tools,I have found few software that Flips edges except for Milkshape,Wings3D and Aztec

Learn something new everyday hein

Read before you type lmao

actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2002 18:19
oh and it's 2 vertice you have to select to flip an edge...I don't see how a face would affect that. :p

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2002 03:50
erm... you said "i have found few software that Flip Edges except for Milkshape, blah blah"

except in statment like that would mean that you didn't know Milkshape did that! no?
i'll check once i get home but i'm almost certain that you select ONLY 2 faces(triangles) and press Ctrl-E to achieve the same thing as the Edge - Turn tool in Max!
and identical to the FlipEdge is Maya ... and Flip with Edge Selection on in trueSpace ...
hehee want me to go on, now unless you're talkin' about something that ISN'T Edge Flip/Turning then i'm pretty sure those are the right controls!
:p

perhaps you should read ya own posts a tiny more carefully

actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Oct 2002 15:43
So did you check how wrong you are lol

actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Oct 2002 15:46
Except is (obviously) an exception qualifier.Therefore when I say:"i have found few software that Flip Edges except for Milkshape" that means that the software I found DON'T do it IN EXCEPTION FOR.....(I can't believe I had to explain it)

But then again wasn't your daddy a teacher...Didn't do the job at home as I can see.

actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Oct 2002 15:49
-hehee want me to go on

Sure.

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Oct 2002 19:25
fine ... well i know over 25 products that do flip edges / face orders

there are very FEW that DON'T do it... and most of those are actually open source which you can edit in your own tools.
its more a case of knowing how the product achieves it, it probably would be more useful if you found out which and posted those. Even then there is oftenly a way around tools to achieve a goal.

Anata aru kowagaru no watashi!
actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Oct 2002 23:09
Maybe but there`s no way around flipping edges...I challenge you.

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2002 02:15
Sure there is... in milkshape its simple, take the edge you wanna flip delete the faces and remake them the other way around
technically you've flipped them the long way, but then again you've not flipped them at all - hehee

also if you use trueSpace it has a neat tool called Mirror Slice where it slices your model in half along a spline and them copies it, mirrors it along the spline and glues the objects before finally combining them
Maya has a similar tool.

Flipped Edges without touching them
Next challenge

Drakportalen
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2002 13:50
I think anim8or is simple and good not so many features but what can you ask for when its for free. Having some problems with it when trying to geet my characters in to DB but nothing u cant solve later on. heres the link: http://www.anim8or.com/
Tutorials are at website. If you want a better tutorial of how to make textures use some of the UV programs you can download one here http://www.uvmapper.com/uvmapper.htm and heres a tutorial of how to use the UVmapper http://www.uvmapper.com/uvmaptut.htm

www.drakportalen.dot.nu
ChipOne
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2002 03:00
you can also 'mirror slice' in milkshape, but it's a little longer.
select what you want
hit [ctrl] + d,
select 'mirror' from the vertex menu
select the centre vertices
select 'weld' from the vertex menu

should note this isn't as clean: you have to make sure all centre vertices are all on 0 of the mirror-axis or you'll have to do a lot of fudging around.

-= i only do what my rice krispies tell me to do =-
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2002 05:04
lol yup, milkshape can actually do alot of sweet things but i think the point was proven

actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Oct 2002 17:52
Ok I was proven wrong...Although I'd never waste that much time to flip a single edge. lol

Still the best choice is to get a modeler that natively does it since we don't all have Robert's experience.

Cometo think of it,I found a way too...

Divide the incorrect edge and pull the vertex to move the edge around and then re-weld it to the parralel one. rks.

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Oct 2002 19:31
lol well some of us have been around doin' 3D before all the fancey tool like boolean and such had to figure points out by hand and such

Swankhy
Years of Service
User Offline
what i need to know is how to mesh edit in milk shape. i realy like the skeliton editing but when i place the vertix i conot creat polygons and i cant move the vertix please email me at zahadam@canada.com

P.S. Canada Kicks Ass

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2002 10:59
This is quite and easi task

with a blank screen, click on the "Vertex" tool and goto one of the veiws. Mark out a triangle pointing down with 3 Points ... now click on the "Face" tool.
Click on the Top Left Vertex (which by defualt would be a white/red dot - depending if its selected or not)
next click on the bottom vertex, notice there is a line there - this means the connection has started ... click on the Top Right one and there you have it a complete Forward Facing Polgyon/Triangle Face

Now make another triangle of Vertex to the side of the first one however click on them the opposite way.
And that is a Back Faceing Polygon.

They're called that becuase one faces towards the camera your working on and the other faces away, or rather has its back to the camera
The backs of polygon aren't rendered within games, so it is good to know why you're objects appear to have holes.

If you noticed, a Forward Face is an Anti-Clockwise connection whereas a Back Face is a Clockwise connection. I've personally found it easier to remember it that way

now to select and edit them click on the "Select" tool and you'll see the menu below will change - now click on "Vertex" ... you'd select Vertex just as you've drag a box to select an area in Paint. As your in Vertex mode you're only editing on this level, so only the Vertex will appear Red to denote you've selected them. If you find there are vertex you still want to select, rather than simply trying a new selection box - press Shift (only whilst in Select mode other wise it Zooms the veiw ) and select the extra Vertex
you can click anywhere to deselect.

to move simply click on the "Move" button, and it'll move whatever you have selected at the time

One last thing, you cannot edit within the 3D veiw - so please don't say "why can't i select my vertex or faces in 3D?" because you can't do anything there, its just to preview the model.

hope that helps

Manic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2002 11:10
eh? whats all this about having to select things to flip an edge in MAX? i just pick the edge flip tool and click on the edges i want flipping and its acurrate!

Manic

I don't have a sig, live with it.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2002 19:02
Hahaa... well i'd suggest you read the post carefully again

actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2002 15:04
lol Manic...yeah Max has a built-in 'Turn Edges'.

Point was 'Milkshape' requires you to select 2 vertice to Flip/Turn(Ctrl-E) it...Not a face right Raven?

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2002 17:02
lol... look its the other way around 2 Face/Trianges not vertex

someone teach me howto capture desktops on avi and i'll show ya

actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2002 17:52
I've done it SOOOO often..It's two vertice don't make me download the DEMO like I did when people said there was no RT viewport selection toolset when there actually was.

actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2002 17:56
Oh get snagit...That'll do for filming your desktop or the app window

actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2002 18:18
Ok I downloaded the demo and you know what?

DOH!

You're right.

Damn you and your 3d knowledge

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2002 19:34
Ahh Smug Mode
i'll look into getting snagit - sound like it could be useful for making tutorials

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-18 20:07:47
Your offset time is: 2024-04-18 20:07:47