Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Star Fox(SNES) type game - Better graphics though 8D

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Ive decided to work on a 3D space shooter type thingie. I decided I wanted a (Super Nintendo Star Fox) type restraint on movement. It's actually proving to be very challenging. The engine has to negotiate pseudo-freeflight movement with just the four arror keys. Im not sure if i will alow full 3D exploration of the worlds x-axis or not. The y-axis is bounded (preventing going upside down). But unlike starfox, you can get more vertical exploration. (Ex. if you were fighting on a planets surface like the first level of star fox, you would be able to fight up in the clouds as well instead of only being allowed to the top of the screen.)

ANyways, its mostly in the physics/testing stages right now. (my spaceship is a cone with two squashed cubes for wings) when I get more into making the actual "game" (levels, ect..), I will post some tech demo's and screeniez.

BTW: Im thinking about going way f**kin overboard with particles, explosions, and fx. Or at least as much as I can without hurting preformance. I have a low end computer though (500MHz) so if it's a little sluggish for me it will get full FPS for everyone else.
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2002 10:09
hi TM long time no see,

It sounds good ! m8

no website at moment
Twisted Matrix
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey indi, whats up?
I haven't been around much.
What are you doing these days?

indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2002 14:26
Im still plodding on my rpg workingnamewarvenTale
Coming closer to the prototype stage and then onto adding the media and map editor.

Im also applying for courses and Government grants
so i can focus on making a viable game or software product.

good to hear from ya again

no website at moment
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2002 14:30
= : D

no website at moment
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2002 21:36
Indi! Haven't seen you in a long time [read: Come back!]

TM, could be good. Make sure you get that 'unique' StarFox style, maybe the 12 polygon enemies?

I love Star Trek.
Especially the Episodes with Starships in.
DrakeX
Years of Service
User Offline
hopefully DBP will be able to handle slightly higher poly enemies

hi TM! haven't talked to you in months!

i'm looking at yooooou!
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Oct 2002 00:49
DrakeX, don't walk before you run... Kinda feel no one paid much attention to my post about games development.
Kinda annoying it was taken over with that pointless discussion too.

Holy jumping mother of god NOOOO!!!...
Milamber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Oct 2002 01:34
I think you mean don't run before you can walk...

System Specs: AMD Athlon 1700+ XP, GA-7VRX motherboard, 128MB DDR RAM, GeForce2 MX400 64MB VRAM
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Oct 2002 07:04
oki... everyone who has been up more than 48hours raise your hand ::put his hand up:: (smartass)

Holy jumping mother of god NOOOO!!!...
Milamber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Oct 2002 19:33

System Specs: AMD Athlon 1700+ XP, GA-7VRX motherboard, 128MB DDR RAM, GeForce2 MX400 64MB VRAM
Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2002 00:26
I am working on a similar game in DB1, very similar to the n64 version if u ever played it? Be reassured that it is perfectly feasable and the results are incredible! I have just today upgraded to DBPro and can't w8 to get stuck in adding loads more cool effects!

Here's an idea I had, feel free to use it too if u want, you could use extra camera windows in Pro to show your team-mate's progress, and another for a 'rear view' mirror...

"There's an enemy on your tale Fox!" Ahh Lylat Wars... mmm

Starfox Rocked

* If the apocalypse comes, email me *
John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2002 01:19
That game got annoying after a while. I mean, at first the characters talking was so cool! But, then I tried to shoot that frog everytime I got a chance. Lol. Well, good luck with your game dude, cant wait to see what you come out with!!!

Good luck to ya!
RPGamer

Current - RPG: Eternal Destiny : Help Wanted!
Upcoming- MMOFPS- Paintball Game: HELP WANTED!
Http://halbrosproductions.netfirms.com
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2002 01:27
Most games are more than possible in DarkBasic...
just need to think about what is actually running at one time and how much speed it'll take up, once that is out of the way just a case of making it nice and playable (^_^)

Anata aru kowagaru no watashi!
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2002 04:38
Isnt Lylat wars and star 64 the same?
any way, i loved both the snes and N64 versions and i have them on my pc

xxxpetratxxx
B. R. W
Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2002 12:00
Yeah sorry I'm from the Uk so SNES StarFox=StarWing and Starfox64=Lylat Wars. Either way I loved them both What 64 Emulator do u use? None of mine run it?

Skid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2002 14:36
Oh, i know a good site for emulators And StarFox64 is one great game, i have thought about makeing on in dark basic, but im alway makeing somthing else at the time :S Project 64 is the best on about in my opinon you can find it at www.zophar.net as well as lots of other Emulator

Skid
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2002 17:48
Get Project 64 and a good video plugin for it

xxxpetratxxx
B. R. W
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2002 04:03
yeah project 64 is just truely awesome for N64 titles
still isn't perfect but much better than the UltraHLE and runs more games.

But they gotta be pure copies from Dr64 or N64 DoubleDrive, luckily i have both - i'm not sure why i use the emulator when i have the real thing hahaa

Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2002 17:53
Thanks guys I'll check it out. Don't worry Raven I do that too! I still have an old N64, PS1, Saturn, NeoGeo, SNES, Megadrive, 32X, Master System 1&2, NES, Spectrum and Commodore 64 but they stay in the attic as I prefer to play them all through Emulators as they often look better, and its more convenient... and its legal cos I own the original copies Plus it makes space in my room for my PS2 Gamecube & Xbox - Sorry guys I'm a bit of a console (& PC) freak. Still loads more to collect tho

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2002 03:37
Yeah... i seem to collect the consoles too
Recently thou i've not had anytime to use them - my roomie certain makes her use of them so not a waste of money.

Kinda wish she'd actually buy the games, i've bought like 10 games in the last month non of which i've been able to play more than once

Mr_Insane
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2002 06:48
oooh I enjoyed making clones from the original console games too.. I used to made an omega race clone for QB until my HD was formatted.
Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2002 16:41
I know the feeling, I bought GTA Vice City, Mario Sunshine, Starfox Adventures, Buffy, DOA Volleyball, Age of Mythology, UT2003 and Rollercoaster Tycoon 2 all on a mass shopping spree about a month ago, and have only played each one once since to check they all worked. They looked pretty sweet though and I should get some days off closer to Xmas fun fun

Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2002 16:43
As for remakes and clones, any1 remember Codemasters age old Dizzy series? I recently applied to Codemasters for a license to make official new prettier conversions and sequels Doubt I'll get it but that would be soo cool

Skid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2002 16:45
Remakeing a Dizzy game is a great idea, also i would like to see a remake of the old Turrican games

Skid
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2002 17:11
I loved Dizzy!

It's like the whole playground would get a Dizzy game then race to see who could complete it before the magazines printed a solution. A 3D version would be great - probably look quite similar to Dead Glory's Pea-Guy game.

Turrican rocked too - I loved the music, 3 channel chip music on the ST and it sounded great, that was the work of the infamous Jochen Hippel (Mad Max), unless you were into Atari ST demos you'll have no idea what I'm on about .

Van-B
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2002 19:25
I think I remember Dizzy. What does the main character look like?

xxxpetratxxx
B. R. W
Skid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2002 23:10
Dizzy was an egg with boxing gloves

I have turrican 1 and 2 for my amiga, i've also played 3 on a emulator, *is talking about the amiga game* 2 was by far the best, 1 second best. But the music was really good, so good im using midi's of the music in the game im makeing

Skid
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2002 01:57
I Remember dizzy now! that was one of me favourite games back then.....Is there any way I could get its rom online?

xxxpetratxxx
B. R. W
Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2002 12:32
Yay! People other than me have fond memories of that strange little Egg...

Yeah there are a few roms for the c64, amstrad and spectrum versions, Amiga/ST versions were made and may be out there, plus if you really wanna go up-market (or down depending on how you look at it) there's a Megadrive/Genesis version called 'Fantastic Dizzy', which is a much larger, mish-mash of all the early games, including off-shoots like Bubble Dizzy and Dizzy Down the Rapids.

It also came out on the Master System, and was, strangely better graphically (a lot clearer and smoother to control), and is in my humble opinion the best Dizzy game ever released! Unfortunately I leant my copy to a 'friend' who dissappeared with it, and its one of the rarest carts and I can't find it anywhere except auction... not even a rom version is available for download! Grrr Also if you wanna search real hard, theres a hidden mode in Pete Sampras Tennis on MD where you can use Dizzy instead of a ball!

Anyone looking for the old 8-bit roms, I personally reccommend Dizzy: Prince of the YolkFolk on the c64, because it was tighter than the earlier games, and had some v weird humour in the puzzles. Plus it was the only 1 I managed to complete before my mates when I was 12! Awww

Hmm really considering making a 3d remake now... might post a forum about it to see if the interest is there

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2002 21:10
just make it... us grandpa's could do with a blast from the past

If it gets really popular send the actual demo to Codemaster inquiring about a licence to retail.

Personally i've love to play another version I can't get to far on (^_^)

Skid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2002 22:18
Grandpa's! im 18

I managed to compleat most of them well a few of them, other i could nearly compleat

Skid
Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2002 22:37
Wow I didn't realise as many people felt as strongly about Dizzy as I did! For the past two hours I have been programming the start of a 3d Dizzy game and it looks really cool so I'm gonna start a new thread with pictures and details for those who are interested.

PS For a VERY limited time only, you can visit
[url]www.trustclip.com/02JHILUT8M5QVe9D86A5AMGFO28[/url]
and download a file called 'dizzy.zip' which contains Rare official full PC Versions of 5 Dizzy games. Not strictly legal, but 5 games, around 10 years old, less than 900k, and that are no longer on sale is hardly industry shaking Piracy, and its only for people who used to own legal copies of the games to go on a retro trip They're v cool, but I cant get them to run stably in XP. If you get asked for a password, use

[url]www.trustclip.com/02JHILUT8M5QVe9D86A5AMGFO28[/url]
username: samjones@kangaroo2.com
password: 4uYkyaXv

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 00:07:22
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 00:07:22