Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Scripts / [LOCKED] Saving A Game is possible

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Here is a response from the creators when asked how to save a game. If anyone know how to accomplish this please post it to this message.
----------------------------------------------------
It is possible for the developer to create and include a Save / Load System in their games. The reason we provided it as part of the scripting language rather than as a standard option, is mainly due to time restrictions and potencial ways that developers could want people to save their game.
You can for example have a standard Save/Load System added to the menu, but if you also notice that there are no menu systems for while "in-game". So this poses the first problem, again a menu system wasn't added as we ran out of time.
Another reason is because the way it is done, you can add anything to trigger a save/load. So say you wanted to you could make a typewriter that required a ribbon to use akin to Resident Evil or such. We felt this in the end would provide people with better control over the game data and feel of the games.
I would also like to point out that not every game released has the ability to "save anywhere" so to speak.
For example Battlefront II or TimeSplitters 3 both only allow saving at the end of each battle. Even then it's simply storing your profile data, progress for each of the other aspects are another save game file.
We never advertised it would have Save/Load features, so really we never mis-led anyone.
--------------------------
Reality Forgotten
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2006 03:43
ok with that being said you will need to do a few things. Create the menu for it or add an object for the save point, then figure out how and what to script for the save feature and then inside that you will need to tell the engine where to look for the stored data. seems a bit overwhelming for the beginner and even intermediate scripters. But I think it is worth a shot.

"I am ready to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter."
-- Winston Churchill
mproducer
Years of Service
User Offline
Well I just got another update from the creators .
---------------------------------------------------------------
A Save/Load feature is needed for FPS Creator, but currently this is not offocially available at this time. It is hoped to be included in a future patch for the software but I cannot say for certain when this would be available.

Until then, DBPro can be used.. (if you have the coding skills) to create one yourself using the source code of FPSC creator. I wish I could help further on this issue, but I am not well up on coding myself. I`m sure asking around in the forums may yeild results.

Asking for a save/load feature may be ignored or passed upon... but asking how to write one should fire up a good thread...especailly with all the DBPro users who appreciate a good challenge.
Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2006 14:25
So, in essence TGC is claiming it can be done through scripting. But the save/load commands don't seem to do anything at all, some even claim that they are just reserved commands.

If saving and loading can be accomplised through scripting, I wonder why everyone failed to do so?

Bored of indoor? Add outdoor to your FPSC games!
http://megagaming.taken.to
Need music for your games? Check the above link also!
BULLSHOCK 2
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2006 19:27
not scripting,

programming, they said you need dbpro.

as a matter of fact, im going to start a dbpro thread right now on this issue.

Avenging Eagle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2006 21:32
Can't you just have a program (or a few lines of code) to load one EXE after another? You wouldn't be able to save midway through your level but checkpoint markers would help.

AE

Play my Basic Trainning Level: http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=72985&b=25&p=0
**Crosshair pack coming soon**
Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2006 22:28
Yes, you can, but you may end up with a huge came in the end, since all of the exe need their own data, while building as a complete game shares data.

BULLSHOCK 2
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Mar 2006 23:23
technically you could save all the media to a single files folder and you only need on copy of FPSC-game, all that changes is the level.

and by default, level1.zip is the map, so an app that could rename levels would be the main thing.

the only problem with that theory though is that FPSC loads (but shouldent) everything in the files directory, so the more levels you had, the slower the framerate.

Reality Forgotten
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2006 01:30
is it possible to create an application that would only initiate the files that were needed for ech level. I think I may need to explain a little better. go through your files folder and clean out all the junk you don't need. Create an app that will call on the individual .exe file for each level instead of having the engine manage them under one huge umbrella. make any sense? this would make saving alot easier to figure out and loading would be a snap, sorta like taking a screenshot of the data at time of save and then calling on it again at time of load. also by having a seperate app run the engine you will not have as much un-needed stuff clogging up the performance side of the house.

"I am ready to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter."
-- Winston Churchill
Skitza
Years of Service
User Offline
Yeah, but you'd need DB Pro. And it wouldn't be an exe, probably a .x or .map

[href]www.realityforgotten.com[/href]
Reality Forgotten
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2006 04:09
You can create an app that would run the .exe of each indavidual level, though it may be tricky but i believe it can be done.

-- Winston Churchill
Les Horribres
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2006 04:55
Bullshox, missconception, it loads everything that is UNZIPPED. However, It may put some stuff into memory. This is lees doing, and I hate it. Don't load a bloody sound, just play it. If it is called via script, you should never load it. If it is called via entity, then load it.

Of course he will disagree with me on the aspect that it takes time away from the FPS, but my way will save memory. It depends on how you look at it. Memory which will increase FPS, or Processing time?

I may need to look at that stuff again.

And I did tell you, bullshox, it is easy to create save load. Changing the levels is by changing the variable level (I even gave you a rem which showed this as a part of the save)

Issues, I really want a gui. You are the GUI genius. Bows to Bullshox. From there, we just output the array index to the save command

"save"+arrayindex+".BSM"

load that,

write arrays
write vars
end

A little more complex, and that is where the other part comes in, testing and debuging. To get something right, you have to be certain.

Mosillivo: Fires Rage, Earth Rumble, Evil Reigns, Cities Tumble
Join the NJL: The War Has Begun, Which Side Are You On?
Nunticaelitusphobic (Scared of Internet)
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2006 12:21 Edited at: 28th Mar 2006 12:37
Quote: "You can create an app that would run the .exe of each indavidual level, though it may be tricky but i believe it can be done."

You don't even need to have each level as an exe.
I can make an EXE that will let you start at any level of a game in FPSC.
In other words, if the game had 5 levels then you could start at any one of them.
This can be done while building the levels normally with FPSC. (As long as they aren't packed.)
This wouldn't save your progress within a level, but it will let you start where you left off.
You would have to run my EXE again to restore the levels or else it would start there everytime.

Yes, I finally figured it out.
I will be building this for myself when I get the free time, but I just have too many things going on now.
If you guys want me to do this now, then I have to drop my other stuff (work), so it will cost.

What's it worth ?

Don't forget to visit Conjured Entertainment
Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2006 13:21 Edited at: 28th Mar 2006 13:23
CE, would be workable, but I really don't want my data for the grabbing, so your solution wouldn't be workable for me.

Besides I can write an application myself to do this, but I prefer to have it within FPSC itself, don't want to depend on any external sources for a number of reasons.

As stated before, I'm willing to donate my Landscape Pack 1, MegaMusic and the first game I create that uses the save/load feature, but then it has to an internal FPSC solution.

FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Mar 2006 14:01
Cellbloc,
I am interested.

FLA
Halo Man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2006 23:03 Edited at: 1st Apr 2006 00:12
Here is an example of a very basic save system for the player, which with some tweaking could be used with FPS creator. There is no GUI, it is roughly an ungraphical save/load feature for only the player

That would write the player's co-ordinates to a save file, which you can then load at any time using the function below:

Of course, the variables will need to be changed to the ones used in FPS Creator, and you would need to do all objects in your level, rather than the player. Now that i have the FPSC source code, i'll try and make a save/load feature in my spare time.

Chicago Rush Website: http://chicagorush.servegame.com/
Les Horribres
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2006 02:27
Haloman, I am pretty certain that the plr is not an object. No, scratch that, 90% certain.

The PLR's position, as far as I have seen, has allways been refrenced by the camera position. Cam 0 to be exact.

Halo Man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2006 05:34 Edited at: 1st Apr 2006 05:35
Quote: "I am pretty certain that the plr is not an object"

I havn't looked at the source, but if the player is based on the camera position, you can just change the player position to camera position

Chicago Rush Website: http://chicagorush.servegame.com/
Les Horribres
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2006 06:40
yeah... looks at halo man... sighs.

Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2006 06:49
Quote: "I havn't looked at the source"

I did, ,but I'm not a DBpro Guru.             ( I'm a DBpro Noob )
That's why I had to go with the background thing instead of editing the engine.
Good Luck Halo Man.

Don't forget to visit Conjured Entertainment
nascarj
Years of Service
User Offline
i know its kinda cheezy and unprofessional but what about a code? like z827msu
you enter that ^ in the main menu for something and hit enter (like a userinput box) and then it would read it, and assuming you can use somthing simaler to the IF command, it could be easy to load up any level if you had the codes
mproducer
Years of Service
User Offline
So I guess this is the end for me and the FPS Creator unless I can come up with a way to save. I am not spending money and time developing a game with this engine if I can't allow the player to save. Too bad, because I like the editor and the scripting of it. I was able to make things work quite fast.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-16 09:26:18
Your offset time is: 2024-04-16 09:26:18