Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Scripts / Storyzones bug fix (witout storyzones)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
This concerns the known bug relating to using storyzones ingame and having the game crash to desktop after a build.

We fixed(or rather overcame) this by using the NPC talk script as described in this thread
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=65207&b=23
Using the second script on an entity allows screens to be displayed
as either objectives or other hud images.
This has been tested and works after building.
It should allow everyone to use this much needed method of storytelling ,unfortunatley it doesn't allow for videoclips,but it allows for sound to be played though.(3rd script)
It can however be attached to any entity,so you could use it for instance for walking up to signboard and having it display onscreen.
Thanks to Benjamin A for posting the npc scripts.
(We can now add our own custom bluescreen errors ingame LOL)
Hope this helps everyone!
ZAKU
Years of Service
User Offline
Tested:

Items work with both Bmp and Png files.
Normal entities (chairs etc) work with Both as well,but they read the black areas as an alpha channel(transparrent)
(make sure every script is unique)
Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Mar 2006 13:57
ZAKU, that's what I've deveopped it for in the first place. I've got a project with lot's of characters giving information, but at the end of my project I discovered the story zone bug. Reported it to TGC, they affirmed it, but stated that a fix could take a long time.

Instead of stopping my projects, I started to work on an altenative for the story zone and in the end turned it into the talking npc scripts, since that was requested a couple of times.

I myself have taken out most of the stuff and use it for single images only, I'll post my storyzone script here in a while. I'm at my laptop now, FPSC isn't installed on it, so I need to get to my desktop, but that still takes an hour or so.....

Bored of indoor? Add outdoor to your FPSC games!
http://megagaming.taken.to
Need music for your games? Check the above link also!
ZAKU
Years of Service
User Offline
If you had mentioned that in the first place..... LOL
Great thanks,I had a suspicion that you were using it in much the same way as we were implementing it,but after seeing all the posts related to this I though I'd point people to your brilliant script and get them to think instead of just posting negative long winded moaning posts surrounding this.
Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Mar 2006 14:29
Well, since you've spoiled my little secret, here't the script I do use to replace the StoryZone. I'm back at my desktop now.....

The user must replace hudimagefine=videobank\intro.png with it's own image and sound=audiobank\user\final.WAV with it's own sound.

Works great, but as soon as the StoryZone bug get's fixed, I'll be very happy. Then I don't need to create a script for each image anymore, but can just point to the image and sound again.

marty
Years of Service
User Offline
Benjamin, this is a very useful script (till storyzone is fixed)! Thanks! Here's a very minimal tweak I did to the first one to make it work with objects so they didn't rotate to face the player:

only the strange survive, make the familiar strange
Wyatt Earp
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2006 03:28
Hmmm....it is taking TGC too long to fix the storyboard problem...so I, too, think I will use this instead.

I am assuming at the beginning I can use a video file and then throughout the game use this script?

Thanks for the alternative methond. I wish I had more brains....

<zombies ate em>
Tom0001
Years of Service
User Offline
I tried editing that script to make it display only one message, but I kept getting it wrong. Nothing happened at all when I walked up to the character... Really annoyed me, so in the end I had to use my crappy voice lol,

Tom

Support your local Riker 9 Chapter.
Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2006 15:11
Wyatt Earp, that should work fine. You can actually use as many storyzones as you want in the first level, that works fine. The storyzone bug appears when using the storyzone object in different levels.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 00:33:36
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 00:33:36