Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Scripts / Light maps

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
i know this is probably not a scripting question but i dont know what kind it is.

I am testing my maps and i put some lighting in it, just to give you a scale i lit up the whole map and its about 1/3 of the actual space. It says its creating light maps when i test it but its been doing that for 20 to 35 min now. It says its still running but will it ever finish?
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2006 21:16
If you used full light mapping leave your computer and come back later.It can take a loooooooooooong time...

FLA
nascarj
Years of Service
User Offline
ok well i quit it and restarted and reseeded all ram and it works fast now, also correction my map takes up every space exept maybe 1/6 ok but i will keep that in mind for building my game
nascarj
Years of Service
User Offline
wow this is taking for ever my game building process hasnt even said any thing or had a blue bar or any thing
Whirlwind
Years of Service
User Offline
Yeah, it is slow... say 2 hours for the included sci-fi-2 map to light map. I'd vote for a faster light mapper in the next release/patch. I don't really like to spend 2 hours twiddling my thumbs while I build light maps just to test my map lighting.
Pus In Boots
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2006 21:14
put it on soft light mapping, try not to put excessive lighting in nearby areas. or just try not to have 2 much period.

You don't have to be insane to answer my questions, but it helps

visit www.gameshell.tk
Les Horribres
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2006 22:56
5 min tops for me.

We all have our inner noob.
Join the NJL: We have MORE fun!
Reality Forgotten
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2006 01:48
When using lights correctly they should not take all that long to create.

"I am ready to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter."
-- Winston Churchill
Les Horribres
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2006 03:14
I know you don't use anymore then 10 lights RF, but I have used 100 in a single level, turns out, 100 appears to be a max in light rendering. 5 min.

QED: Never use full lightmapping, and you will love the results. Light Mapping is already very fast, just takes a while when you compile 30 times to get it right

When in doubt, blame a mod!
Reality Forgotten
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2006 03:18
Actually one post I use a butt load of lights, but I do not excessively use dynamic lights (maybe two to three a level)

"I am ready to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter."
-- Winston Churchill
Les Horribres
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2006 04:00
100? Count them... with my system specs

1.8GHz
1024 DDR2 SoDIMM

I have 5 min. I haven't comfirmed that the light array in the source doesn't "extend" but I know it has an inital value of 100.

When in doubt, blame a mod!
Reality Forgotten
FPSC Reloaded TGC Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2006 05:09
Thats awsome! I have not added anywhere near 100, I think the most I have had is about 70 and it takes no time at all to render the lightmaps. We should see if the light array can be extended like you stated. One thing I have not been able to figure out about the lights yet (gonna sound noobish for a second) is how do you change the angle in which the light shines. instead of cieling to floor I need floor to ceiling. I know someone is gonna say read the manual, but I am at work right now and I dont have the manual nor can I DL from this site.

-- Winston Churchill
Lost Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2006 14:50
i use static lights on soft lightmaps and i set ambient light to 0 and i get good light effects.

Doom,where the sanest place is behind a trigger.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 13:58:05
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 13:58:05