Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Scripts / Spawning / Performance question

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Apr 2006 19:55
Right now I have all of my enemies spawning when the level starts. Is there a way to make them spawn in response to certain actions, such as opening a door? If so, how would I do this? And will I get any performance boost from doing this, since all of the enemies aren't present in the level all at once? (Basically, is it worth doing?)
Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2006 00:34
Hey dude. Ok, what you can use is a triggerzone and put the name of the entity you want to spawn in the "ifused" box of the triggerzones properties.

ok for now lets call the entity bob.

Now edit bobs properties. Change his spawn at start to NO. Then change the numbertospawn and maxspawn boxes to the numbers you want - if you pick 0 he wont spawn(you can also add a delay and stuff it's all pretty self explanitory.)

The ifused box is essential. By adding bobs name to the ifused box of any entity (eg a door) you can make bob appear from a multitude of different player actions.

With regards to whether you will have performance improvement, it's debatable.
think about it like this
+++the room runs slow cuz you've got 10 enemies in there.
+++You change it so they only spawn when you reach the centre of the room.
+++Now the room runs faster until u reach the centre, but once they spawn, it'll slow right down again.

Use enemy spawns to improve the way the player plays. Make it so that a zombie appears behind the player when they least expect it.

hope it helped dude. Any probs drop me an email.

"Guns for show, knives for a pro."
Luke314pi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Apr 2006 03:42
Thanks, that was a big help!
Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Apr 2006 01:07
Just to add onto this: select zoneactivate.fpi for the triggerzone.

Bored of indoor? Add outdoor to your FPSC games!
http://www.aeilkema.dds.nl/mega/index.html
Need music for your games? Check the above link also!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 18:05:26
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 18:05:26