Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Scripts / Text appear zone

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Apr 2006 23:58
Does anyone have a text appear zone? Many times I'd like the player to enter an area and a text screen pops up. I've been doing it by making big bitmaps with the message on it, but it seems to me it would be much less memory intensive to have a zone which triggers a speech you simply type in and it displays it on the screen. Then MouseClick to exit.

Student Programmer
K Jah
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2006 16:03
Sorry not possible but you may want to try and convert those bitmaps to .tga files.

Les Horribres
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2006 02:19
jpeg, better compression
or PNG. Also good compression/

We all have our inner noob. Join the NJL, and have more fun!
I believe society is flawed; our notions on life, on child rearing, stem too far back to be of relevance in this day and time.
BIG computer geek
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2006 00:38
there was some weird item that you picked up and pressed a button to make writing appear, via script, but you need a image

The 'Ghastly Panic' Is in production as 'Version 2'

randbo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2006 11:19 Edited at: 20th Apr 2006 11:22
study the first line of switch1.fpi script. it details how to create and name a hud, which is an onscreen message using a tga file as the image.
it creates it and names it and hides it.
the secondline then displays it and makes it disappear. not too hard to figure out, just change the tga file to a message of yours.
notice the position info for hud too, x and y coords.
x is left right, y is up down.

the rest is easy, just tie it to a trigger or story zone and thats it!
btw, since its a targa tga file you can make the text real fancy and make it look like a wall poster or something.
New Comers Corner
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2006 18:28
Hi Ranbo, I redid a switch1 script and had that line point to
my tga (of my text) then I renamed it when I saved it as switch10.fpi which didn't exist before. But I tried using it in the 'when activated' property of a trigger zone, and it doesn't show up. Im absolutely new at learning to write fpi scripts, so this is exciting to think you can program switches and things to do what you want, essentially giving FPSC more commands and making more complicated games possible. If you'll explain a little more please, I'm sure you have the soloution to text appearing here and I can make this work.

Student Programmer
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 24th Apr 2006 20:50
I use a trigger zone and this .fpi for the main.

Crazy Grandpa
New Comers Corner
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2006 22:27
Thanks, I'm going crazy trying to attach a text as a tga picture. I'm going to try your triggerzone next. If this works, you can write games with a real story, where explanations pop up when you want them to.

Student Programmer
New Comers Corner
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2006 22:55
Hooray! A TGA of my textletter actually appears in the zone. Its great, after trying to do this for three days.

Two questions:

(one) I used a pure black for the yellow letters background. The black shows, not transparent.

(two) is there a line I can add so the player only sees the text the first time he walks through the zone? In otherwords disable the zone?
This is the first time I ever did anything with this fpi language and it worked. Thanks. Is there a manual for writing this code? Somehow I can't find it in the FPSC adobe manual.

Student Programmer
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2006 23:32
What graphics program are you using to create your .tga's?

Crazy Grandpa
New Comers Corner
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2006 00:33
Corel paint, but I also have Paintshop and Adobe Photoshop.

If you have an aswer on how to make the text display only once, below is what I tried. It displayed the text like before, but still didn't vanish when I used enter or mouse clicked in the zone, and comes back if I walk through the zone again. In other words ideally I'd like to display messages once most of the time. But if it isn't possible your fpi is still great.

Student Programmer
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2006 00:47 Edited at: 25th Apr 2006 00:52
I have problems with black as well. I use PhotoShop and find that starting with a new transparent image works well.

This will make it appear only the first time.

Crazy Grandpa
New Comers Corner
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2006 02:07
Thank you, now that is a really useful fpi! I'm about to try it. If it works for you it will work for me, so I think, problem solved now.

Eternal thanks

Student Programmer

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 17:45:33
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 17:45:33