Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2002 17:02
well, first a big HELLO to everyone!!!
Second, how is it possible thet the room demo exe is about
3.6 megs? good question, he?
Ever heard about the "DARK LOOP"? Well,it is in every windows based computer,it spyes you,it follows everything you do: YOU CAN DO NOTHING,TO ESCAPE THIS DAMN LOOP!!hehe,sorry Bill(j/k)
Vector
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2002 18:04
The question is rather stupid than good. EXE includes all models, textures and sounds which was used in the demo.

haggisman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2002 18:09
well all the media doesn't appear to be in the actual exe, as all of it appears in the Media folder on my computer.

Specs:- 1GHZ athlon, Radeon8500, 192mb ram
lagmaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 29th Aug 2002 22:00
the exe size depends on what commands you use.

there are options to create a seperate file to stote the command dll's in making the exe REALLY small

lagmasteruk - http://www.lagmaster.net/ r.nash@ntlworld.com
specs: 1.2ghz athlon, 384mb ram, geforce 2 mx 400 (32mb),win2k
denki
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2002 22:02
I thought someone said that some media was actually in the exe, don't see why...

denki

Join in on my big DarkBASIC pro RPG - kousen - http://www.darkbasicpro.com/apollo/view.php?t=13&b=1
crawlin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2002 23:05
I'm sure lagmaster is right.

crawlin

P4 1.6GHz - 256Mb DDR RAM - GeForce 2 MX400 - SoundMAX Integrated Sound - Windows XP Home
gbuilder
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Aug 2002 00:26
No, the media isn't included in the exe of the room demo. I just put the exe into a folder on it's own and executed it it. 'Cannot find file' errors.
So I used Neolite to compress the exe and it shrunk to 1.82mb.

gbuilder
AlecM
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2002 08:03
i know the truth. in some demos SOME of the media is in both the EXE and the media folder. also in some of the demos a few files are just in the EXE. try screwing around with the media and you will see.

Goto http://www.shellshockede.com
Lampton Worm
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2002 20:16
Yo Lag, so whats the smallest the room demo can be shrunk down to, just as an example, ?

Cheers
Gib007
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2002 22:05
It's like Dark BASIC, you can build a executable file that encrypts & contains all the external game data inside it (maps, models, sounds, etc...) or create a simple executable file that only contains the game code and will require the user to have all the external game content in folders. It's obvious that if you encrypt & contain all the game data in the executable file, the file size will definitely rise...
Although, as you say, the game content was included in the "media" folder, but maybe it was to show you what they used externally from Dark BASIC Professional?
Maybe I'm wrong since I used external game content and kept it external in a Dark BASIC program and the executable was still around 2-3MB and the program wasn't that long & complex!

Kayron James Mercieca - kayronjm@gibnet.gi
Thade!
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2002 17:51
The Question from DarkLoop is not stupid at all!
There are 11 Demo-Programs - one without a media-folder is 8.8 MB long - the others that have Media in seperate files and folders are all bigger than 3 MB.
And checking these exes with a hexeditor show that they seem to include the complete DBProDLL and none of the Media-Files.
Okay - we all that are waiting for the ordered DBPro to arrive can only speculate.
And we'll know exactly ---- when we have compiled Print "Hello World" and its longer than 3 MB
Then, Vector, we'll see if your answer on a good question was a stupid quickshot
alt
Years of Service
User Offline
I would be interested to know what the smallest footprint of the file is. Not that it is that big an issue these days, but smaller the better.

I would guess that although the user's program code is compiled, the 3Mb is most likely all the library calls that the compiled code is calling to do all the wizz bang stuff.

Does the compiler include all the function code? Does it allow you to specify modules to include in the EXE (eg: if you don't use xyz commands, can you tell it not to include the appropriate sections in the EXE)? Maybe some one who has bought a copy could let us know (in the abscence of a demo).

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-17 00:26:04
Your offset time is: 2024-04-17 00:26:04