Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Work In Progress / Level Design Competition

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
We would like to start up a Level design competition.
Everyone who is interested please read the following:
This competition is open o anyone using FPSC
The competition is for one Single Playable level only.
The level must be built off of Commercially unrestricted content.
(In other words no cheating,lying and/or stealing.)
Prefferably games should be packed and ready for distribution.

We have a couple of offers for prizes I'll let everyone know as we finalize

The games that are submitted must be available for download and can be any type of game/genre.
(Anyone who wishes to judge the competition along with me,please let me know.)
Levels will be judged on playability,fun and overall level design technique.
Closing date for the first comp is 15 May 2006
Nigezu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2006 21:36
Level should be .exe, right? Is there any limit in filesize?

Intel Pentium 4 Processor 519 3.06 Ghz, 1536 MB DDR, Ati Radeon 9550 256MB
ZAKU
Years of Service
User Offline
yes,it should be an exe and it should be as small as possible,around 40mb
Nigezu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd May 2006 22:26
It's kinda imbossible. I have one level long game and it is 94 mb (compressed 50 mb).

Intel P4 Processor 519 3.06 Ghz, 1536 MB DDR, Ati Radeon 9550 256MB
My site: http://www.freewebs.com/nigezu
Wehtam_
User Deleted
Posted: 3rd May 2006 23:03
Just to clear something up, because i am slightly confused by this:

Quote: "The level must be built off of Commercially unrestricted content.
(In other words no cheating,lying and/or stealing.)"

Does this mean that we can not create new content just for the game, we can only make a level using released media ?

http://www.wehtam.co.uk - Are you creative ? Artistic projects | Forum | Game media downloads
ZAKU
Years of Service
User Offline
This means that you can create it with any content that yuo own or is free for use,this does not include things like ripped models from HL2.
OKay 50mb should not be a problem.
Also there a re certain things to remember when building a level that adds to gameplay.
For instance,when your doing a modern day them level,DON'T add guys running around the Level with MP40's (These are the either the poorest terrorists on the planet,or the oldest.)
Use specific themesets,this adds greatly to the overall experience.
Also please make sure your levels run before entering
Tom0001
Years of Service
User Offline
And what exactly is the prize?
Who exactly is this WE?

Tom

Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th May 2006 05:54
ZAKU, if you're not a mod, I'm with Tom on this, who is this WE you speak of?

hmmm?

"Guns for show, knives for a pro."
Wehtam_
User Deleted
Posted: 4th May 2006 09:26 Edited at: 4th May 2006 09:27
The level design contest idea surfaced in Zaku's post "The Future (This concerns everyone here.)" in FPSC Product Chat.

Many of the other members have specified possible prizes to give away for the winner.

I think it would be a good idea to list all the rules and regulations, like: Who are the judges, what days in the month will levels submissions stop for assessment, what are the judges marking criteria etc. When all of this information is gathered, you can start The Official Level Contest thread.

The idea itself is very good

http://www.wehtam.co.uk - Are you creative ? Artistic projects | Forum | Game media downloads
Avenging Eagle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th May 2006 09:47
Can you make it a different theme for every month?
Eg:
May: Science Lab
June: Nazi Prison Camp
July: Maintenance Area
August: Castle
etc

Or, alternatively:
May: Doom style
June: Unreal style
July: Halo style
August: Quake style

AE

ZAKU
Years of Service
User Offline
I think one of the other posts already explained the 'we' thing ,but actually as a community,whether I'm a MOD or not ,why haven't I seen more entries?

Anyway,let's do this then ,post any specific rules or features of the comp you'd like to see here and well set up the official thread in a while,that ok with everyone.
Tom0001
Years of Service
User Offline
For a start, the restrictions idea was good, since we all have a fair and same chance.

Tom

Wehtam_
User Deleted
Posted: 4th May 2006 10:35
I would personally like to see a straight forward marking criteria which everyone can see and understand, this way judges can mark on specific areas of the map and give helpfull feedback, for example:

Atmosphere ? / 5

Structure ? / 5

Gameplay ? / 5

[b]Creativity[b] ? / 5

Total ? / 20

Wesker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th May 2006 15:56
It'd be nice to have the Judges vote and a Community vote for the finalists? (Top 5?)

So let's say the judges weed out a top 5 and the community votes on their favorite.

:ull's my string:: You're reading me talk!
www.darconet.com
xplosys
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FPSC Multiplayer Games
Posted: 4th May 2006 16:30 Edited at: 4th May 2006 16:33
Having the community vote on their favorite sounds nice in theory, but if you think about it, it could just come down to a popularity contest. For that matter, you could have the same issue with only a few judges. Tough decision....

Just a thought. I'm sure when you get all the rules together things will clear up.

Quote: "Closing date for the first comp is 15 May 2006 "

You may also want to consider pushing this up another month. Unless people are just entering what they already have, I don't think you'll see anything new of value in a just matter of days.

Crazy Grandpa
Wesker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th May 2006 17:19
Thats why I suggested the voting of both. It can't really be a popularity contest on the community end if the judges vote a top 5.

So if Person X's best friend isn't voted top 5, he'd have to vote for what is truly best.

Could also have it that the only users allowed to vote are those that have been here for a certain period of time so that no fake accounts can vote, but then again with the screening process here I guess that wouldn't really matter.

But if you want to bring it to only judges then I suggest you don't make it a popularity contest with the selection of judges either.

:ull's my string:: You're reading me talk!
www.darconet.com
ZAKU
Years of Service
User Offline
Okay,so let's start getting everything together:

First Level Design Comp:

WWII Theme
One Playable Level
(As small as possible - ie,no levels made up of multiple areas)
Restricted Level Size of +/- 50MB

Rating Criteria:

Atmosphere
Structure (This pertains to actual Gameplay Structure)
Gameplay
Creativity
Originality
Design (This Deals with ACTUAL layouts of Levels)
Difficulty
Story

Total / 30

All Categories are awarded an Impression POint out of Five and then the total is calculated.
Special Awards or Mentions will be awarded seperately (Such as Custom Models,Movie intros,overall presentations etc.)

Judges:
ZAKU
Higgins
(All other judges need to post their availability ASAP please.)

Judges will select the top five entries and will open Voting to the Community to find the best Level
(Judges are not eligible to enter)

Closing date for the first comp : 31st May 2006
(That should give everyone enough time to get together somthing to enter)

As for Prizes:
Let's keep the first one clean and simple,
I'll sponsor the first prize - - Anything on this forum to the Value of $10,(I'll pay for it and the winner will recieve it)
I know it's not much,but I figure it should be ok for a start.

(Any revisions etc should be up by End today so that we can get this started.)
Nigezu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th May 2006 14:50
I'll get part on this competition!

Tom0001
Years of Service
User Offline
I'll be a judge

Wehtam_
User Deleted
Posted: 7th May 2006 18:55
I've been having a think, although i don't have the means to carry out such a plan i thought i would air my idea anyway. Why not go one step further and create a website that reviews submitted games.

The website wouldn't have to host the maps, but would be a place that features reviews/forum/images of reviewed maps etc.

The idea would be that people would create a map, they send you the link, then the jedges play it and review it. There could be a leader board for Best Graphics, Best Gameplay etc, and it would also create a whole new site for FPSCers to talk about and visit.

Published reviews will be added to an archive. What do you guys say, it could be a community project

Call it FPSC-feedback or FPScritique, something like that ?

SpyDaniel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2006 19:18
I kind of fell for this, I thought it was the main fpsc level design contest. Its not, so Iam withdrawing my help, sorry.

Your signature has been erased by a mod because it's larger than 600x120...
Wehtam_
User Deleted
Posted: 7th May 2006 19:47
oh ? Theres a "main" level design contest ? I never knew, what board is it on ?

Tom0001
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2006 22:30 Edited at: 7th May 2006 22:30
I am also withdrawing. IM NOT GIVING OUT MY LEVEL UNTIL I SEE WHAT THE PRIZES ARE.

Tom

SpyDaniel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2006 01:22
I thought this contest was this one:

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=77687&b=25

Your signature has been erased by a mod because it's larger than 600x120...
Dodic
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2006 01:27
Great idea, level competition, to lighten up this forum atmosphere a little

p.s.i would like to judge the competition

Doom
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2006 02:06
no offence but how do we know you are not stealing these levels for your own commercial use.

Tom0001
Years of Service
User Offline
I agree with Doom.

Tom

Doom
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2006 06:00
okay well not to be rude but,

This competition is open o anyone using FPSC

that is quote unquote from what he said.

*why does it have to be FPSC (i understand this rule)

*Why single player i got good levels for multiplayer

*this one makes me laugh... Why? do you want to steal it and then sell it yourself and say that you did all the work and you sell our work to make profit? or is it because when you release your game you dont want to have anyone else copying it? sorry to say this but its a scam even if you make an exe im pretty sure the level files are still their (correct me if im wrong) but thats generally how i feel. But if this was an official Contest by a mod or Rick or who ever i wouldnt complain but yea thats what i think.

Looking For WW2 Ambient sounds? http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=78596&b=24
DaReDeViL
Years of Service
User Offline
same. i have to agree with Doom, but its nice you are trying to get us lazy bums active
Wehtam_
User Deleted
Posted: 8th May 2006 09:54
@ Higgins

The link you supplied was aimed at the Screenshot contest, where it is still images which are assessed. I think ZAKU's idea of a level design contest was to assess the whole workings of a completed map, marking the various aspects such as gameplay and visuals. There was another thread about this, by ZAKU, in the Product Chat board.

I like the idea of a level design contest, it just needs more backing

ZAKU
Years of Service
User Offline
Well,well,what can I say?
I will still be posting this competition under a new thread,I now see that you've all got reservations about the legitimacy of the Comp.
It is difficult to assure anyone,that my intentions for this are NOT Self-serving or for some reasons aimed at Stealing your levels.
I originally started thinking of this to get the community to work on something that would benefit everyone.
@Whetam
Yes ,the webpage is a brilliant idea (If we can get it sorted)
Are you available to judge?

@Dodic,thank you I'll be posting you as one of the judges.
@Higgins,
Sorry to hear that,But I understand the confusion.

@Everyone else with their reservations over me STEALING the levels.
Firstly I have absolutely no Desire to steal anyone's levels whatsoever.
I opted to upload my level first in fact,and although I am NOT eligible for my own Prize I felt that that I would have to Practise what I preach.(I am Currently only waiting for the upload server)
When a level is built and packed into an EXE,there is no file that can be accessed by anyone outside the developer,there is no access to the level or content.
Yes,I know I am not a MOD,and I also know that this is not an OFFICIAL comp,I never said that it was,it was purely intented as a
means to get everyone hear actually foing something.
I resent the fact that I stand accused of wanting to steal the levels for my own purposes,

@Doom,I can understand that you have your concerns regarding this,and I also understand that you would blatantly label this a s a scam,it is however not even necessary for me to be a judge on this,so if your Distrust in me ,or my proposal is so great,I would gladly hand this over to someone else.

@Tom,I mentioned that we were trying to keep it small for the first one,that's why despite the users who so generously dedicated their programs as Prizes in the CHAT board,I also offered anything to the value of TEN dollars ,this includes anything the winner wants and I will either transfer the money to the winner,or arrange to pay for something ONLY they can download.

So to Summarize,Please,by means of Posting or other inform me as to who you would want to see running this,Or whether I should continue.
I also need to finalize the judges if I am to Continue.
ZAKU
Years of Service
User Offline
Sorry ,I completely forgot,
This has to be an FPSC level,as this is an FPSC boad and comp.
Wehtam_
User Deleted
Posted: 8th May 2006 15:36
Unfortunately i don't have the time to dedicate myself in testing submitted maps to the contest. trust me i would love to be a reviewer but i couldnt give the levels the attention they deserve. Thanks for offering though.

Doom
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2006 22:47
Not to offend you but i still dont trust you, dont take it personal.

Looking For WW2 Ambient sounds? http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=78596&b=24
Tom0001
Years of Service
User Offline
Me neither. Show us proof that you won't steal our work and then I will trust you. Although, we also have no proof that the forum mods won't steal our work. It says in the forum rules that the TGC can take anything we post on their forums and use it for any use they choose.

Tom

ZAKU
Years of Service
User Offline
Okay,here's a DNA swab,two urine samples ,my complete family history and a pic of me saying:'Trust Me'

Seriously ,Doom,Tom,don't bother entering if you can't trust me or anyone else.
I personally think your being just a little paranoid,no offense,don't take it personally,ok?
I can't assure anyone of anything,and judging by the fact that the only responses I got on this were regarding how I could not be trusted or about the fact that I was not a mod,instead of all of the REAL DEVELOPERS who frequent these forums.
I could then probably call the comp closed before it even began.
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2006 17:18
Wow, I should have paid more attention to this one. I believe Rastaman still has a free version of FPSPack that you can download, to protect your 'assets'. If that's not enough, then might I suggest modifying the criteria to say that you may only use media native to the original install of FPSC? I donated my Pack to this because I thought it was a good idea to start bringing these forums back to good standing.

I don't know what kind of 'proof' that Zaku could give you concerning the theft of game media; therefore packing your level up into an .exe seems to be the best bet anyway. It doesn't have to be hidden from other members, so just start up a new thread, ask a Mod to sticky it up here, and have the download of your level within your post.

I have no problem being a judge, once the criteria is agreed upon. I'm not sure what the problem is here, but if something like this won't work, then I don't hold out much hope that anything ever will in these forums. I'd like to take the time to thank Zaku for taking time out of his day to put this together.

-Keith

Nigezu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2006 17:25
I say this again that I can be a entry to this compo.

[img][/img]
Wehtam_
User Deleted
Posted: 9th May 2006 17:26
Quote: "might I suggest modifying the criteria to say that you may only use media native to the original install of FPSC?"

Perfect idea Keith, not only would that be fair for all users, but no one would be giving away any new media. It would start everyone off on the same playing field.

With the same media present in each map it would also help the judges focus on the structure of the level, and not be blinded by new visuals or effects.

Also with this way ( and i believe this is right ), contestents would only need to submit the level file, and not a massive .exe file. Personnaly i think this is a good starting point.

greenlig
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2006 17:32
guys, look over to the 3d modelling board and there is a good way to stage competitions. Community votes, winner choses the next theme, etc.

hope that helps.

greenlig

Blender3D - GIMP - WINXP - DBPro
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2006 17:58
I never thought of that, Wetham; they could just put up the .fpm file instead. Then even dial-up users wouldn't have trouble downloading it; that's perfect. Then it really would be judged on the user's ability to 'actually design' the level.

Greenlig's right as well; they have had competition's quite often over there (although the last time I showed my work over there, I was told that I should post it in the FPSC sections).

-Keith

Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2006 20:00
Quote: "Okay,so let's start getting everything together:

First Level Design Comp:

WWII Theme"

Why WW2??? Why limit it to a theme, that will limit the successfulness of this compo also imo.

A lot of us aren't into WW2 at all. I'd love to participate, but not with the WW2 theme, sorry. I'll wait until the next compo comes and a theme that excites me is choosen or the theme will be free to choose.

http://www.gamefun4u.nl/index.html
GameFun4U, the ultimate funtainment. Cool Games and Resources for your own games.
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2006 20:14
Since WW2 is one of the 2 Main themes in the original FPSC pack; that would be a logical choice. We could do Sci-Fi next month, followed by a Misc. level the next. If you limit it to a theme each month, it will be much easier to compare levels when judging. Why would it limit the successfulness of the competition?

Just because you're not into WW2, doesn't mean you shouldn't give it a shot. It's up to you, but I suspect this is the last attempt by a few of us here to revive this community. I didn't appreciate how Zaku was being shot down from the beginning of this thread.

-Keith

Nigezu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2006 20:49
Is a theme now WW2 or not? And can I post my level when it's done?

[img][/img]
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th May 2006 23:31
I'm not sure what's going on, Nigezu. We'll just have to wait until people agree on something I suppose.

-Keith

greenlig
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2006 06:50
Yer this beast needs to be organized and stickied before it begins.

Having a theme allows for an even playing field. Maybe genre should also be an idea. Say, WW2, Scifi, Deathmatch, Horror, Humour, etc.

Anyway, you guys are the users so you decide! Just trying to help.

Blender3D - GIMP - WINXP - DBPro
Klick
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2006 08:16 Edited at: 10th May 2006 08:17
Why doesn`t TGC implement the polling system for the forums...

Behold the logical paradox... me!
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd May 2006 14:07
To whom it may concern.The "offical" Level Design Thread is in the Models and Media forum.Check it out.There ae some excellent prizes.
Entry deadline is June 15th.

FLa
Where you can find my demo:http://www.savefile.com/files/6970524
Nue B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2006 04:18
Me think someone is just fishing for level design Ideas. I have the best. but will not share until the release of my gamez! t-he, t-he!
My creative designs will put you all to shame, even without added content and textures.

Nue B. or not Nue B. That is the question.
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd May 2006 04:28
Uhh....I'm just not sure what to make of this...

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 13:07:47
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 13:07:47