Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Work In Progress / The Undead Full Game

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Finally the undead is out, but it is only a BETA and will be updated over time.
Note before playing you must read the README, this is because it tells you how to overcome a very important bug at the end of the game.
So Please, Enjoy

Direct Link: [href]http://www.natsam.co.uk/Natsam/The Undead Setup.exe[/href]

Visit http://www.natsam.co.uk to find out about my games.
[href][/href]
Avenging Eagle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2006 12:31 Edited at: 7th May 2006 12:34
Ok, it played it...

Firstly, its worth mentioning that i only got to level three. This is because of the lack of ammo that they was in the level. However, in order the rate this properly i have to review each level.

Level 1:
I started level 1 with great anticipation because i really liked the demo level. The player seemed to start from the end of a corridor but there was no door so i was a bit of a strange place to start.

I went around the level expecting to scared by either the sounds or the enemies and darkness. However, there was nothing of the sort and although i usually like slow starts and i can see why you did it, for an FPSC game was stock media it was a bit of a disappointment. I was surprised when i saw the F18 in that hanger but i couldn't work out why it was there so i was a little pointless. However, my anticipation hadn't really worn off so i continued to level 2...

Level 2:
The level opening was good; the zombie on the zombie is something i've used too and it was nice to see something vaguely scary at at last we had some dark spot where you were afraid to venture for fear of what lurked in them.

Eventully, i reached the first enemy. For a game that boasted about being scary, the first enemy wasn't especially well introduced; it didn't make me jump, it wasn't lying down pretending to be dead and it was lurking in the shadows. Infact, it was at the end of a corridor that allowed you to see it straight away; not very scary.

The rest of the level consiisted of more unscary encounters with the same HL2 zombie and, to my disapointment, no Doom or F.e.a.r sound effects. There were also i few level problems as well, such as in one part, you hadn't built the floor beneath some stairs so the skybox was visible. Also, in the little alcove with a circular window (next to the health pack), you had forgetten the roof!

I eventually hit a dead-end and heard the "report back to marine HQ" sound. This was good, and original since i don't think i've played an FPSC game where you double back on yourself. It was also nice to see some respawned enemies on the way back, however most of them were in the same place as their predecessors so you knew when to expect them.

I reached the end of level three with 3 bullets in my colt and 6 in my python....

Level 3:
It started back in the hanger with the F18 but as soon as the level began, so too did the lag. It went down to about 4-6fps i think and was very difficult. The zombies in the corridor just after the hanger ran towards me as the level began but got stuck in a wall. this opened the automatic so i knew there were enemies there. As a walked foward (at 5fps), i heard the next doom 2 sound effect. A good choice, i must say. However, i was attacked by the two zombies in the corridor and wasted my 5 python bullets and a colt bullet on killing the one who came after me (the other one was too far way to see me).

"Argh!" I thought, "only 2 bullets left?" I saw a branch on the main gantry and followed it...an Armoury! I'm saved! Hail Natflash! However, after spending a bullet breaking the window and crawling in i found known of the weapons could be picked up, so i was screwed. I came out of that room and decided to peg it around as much of the level as i could.

I ran past the zombies, each one drawing around 80 Hp from me as a scrambled past and eventually i got back to the shooting range room. AMMO! I ran over, picked up and turned round to see my HP was at about 70 and two zombies were attacking me. I died.

I was respawn at the start of the level, where a met a zombie i had ran past and a respawned zombie. I had no ammo at all so i jumped off the gantry and landed in a bunch of hurt zones that killed me.

In my third attempt, i respawned but i seemed to be attacked straight away by an invisible zombie/hurt zone. I died before i ever got out of the hanger.

Conclusion:
Though this game had hype and in some places it was chilling, i wasn't ever scary as such and the lack of ammo proved disasterous. Alot of the levels were just corridors and there wasn't really any interesting architecture. the first two levels played well enough bit the third suffered from terrible lag which made gaming almost impossible and took away the scare too. The enemies weren't scary and never "played dead" and the level was somewhat too linear for my liking. For this, i can award this game 6/10. As you said, it was only a BETA but i hope the BETA is better next time.

(beat that Uman, 874 words)
AE

Tom0001
Years of Service
User Offline
Wow you've made me not wana download it now, AE.

Tom

Avenging Eagle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2006 17:02
oops...

I was meant to be a balanced review or the pros and cons.

Sorry Natflash,
AE

Natflash Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Damb, you need to get past level 3 as I've said before that is where the scary stuff happens, and yes I admit it is hard, it was a bug I forgot to fix so when you play it you must just run to the end of the level (dont worry its not a long level) then the game actually kicks in.
P.S. I am working on a patch to fix all of these annoying bugs (I dont think you need to download the whole thing again for the patch to work) and please remember, it is a BETA for testing purposes only!
Also if you dont mind can you edit your post so it dosen't put people off, thanks.

[href][/href]
Natflash Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks I'm now going to take off the download, and update it I dont want people playing this game in its current state.
If you mods can see this can you please lock it, so it dosen't get back to the top.

[href][/href]
Nigezu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2006 18:54
Why they have to lock this. Just remove download link and when second version is completed post it in this thread.

PS: I'm downloading this BETA now.

Intel P4 Processor 519 3.06 Ghz, 1536 MB DDR, Ati Radeon 9550 256MB
My site: http://www.freewebs.com/nigezu
[img][/img]
creator of zombies
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2006 19:00
hi natflash,

Good game, a few bugs though that stopped me fully enjoying the game. The frame rate was too laggy in some places but i still played it. Some scary bits, but then it kinda wears off after a while. Good game, Hope the full game is better.

Final score: 8/10

ZOMBIES-THE GAME!!! ps- I gave the demo to my mate and he did'nt sleep for a week
Natflash Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Infact ill just leave the BETA there till I sort out the full version

[href][/href]
Evil Star
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2006 19:54 Edited at: 7th May 2006 19:55
Great beta! I got to the second level after the teleporter thing then somewhere in a shadowed corridor someone popped up out of the ground and killed me.

and why does the colt only fire 2 shots before reload

Keyboard not found!
Press any key to continue
Natflash Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2006 20:03 Edited at: 7th May 2006 20:06
Because after two shots the zombie dies,its done to keep it scary, so you have a feeling of "limited ammo"
Has anyone seen the ending cut scene, it tells you how in the README
EDIT: Forgot to mention that I was thinking about making the undead a mini series of games ie. a new level comes out every week.

[href][/href]
Avenging Eagle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2006 20:14
I watched the cut-scene when i "finished" the demo.

It was a little short and "the movies" is never very fantastic at realism but i was good. On the mini series side of thing, i would release each level one month at a time, and also include some kind of code so that only people who've played the previous levels can play to the end.

AE

Natflash Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Great idea ill put them in a zip with a password, then at the end of each level it will tell you the password, i'll do it for The Undead t... Never mind ill just do it.

[href][/href]
Nigezu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2006 20:47
I played game and I think it was GREAT! It was really scary. I get scared more than once and before every dark place I prepared to get scared. One time zombie sneaked up to me and when I turned I almost jumped up of my chair. Custom sound effect were great and creepy stuff. I didn't had big framerate issues (I have a killer PC) but in ''ww2'' level my framerate were something between 16 and 24 fps. Ending video was OK but not perfect.

Overall game was really good and scary. After first three levels I thought this is the same crap as most of the FPSC horror games but it get better and scarier all the time.
I'll give it 88%/100%

THis was the best FPSC horror game I have played so far.

[img][/img]
Maeko
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2006 20:51
This is great, you really got me with that zombie from the floor popping up at you in Hell..

9/10

Give a man some bullets, and he'll want a gun. Give a man a gun and he'll be giving away the bullets!!
Willie teh Leprechan
Years of Service
User Offline
Wow, that was really good. I agree that the first couple of levels were slow, but it really picked up from there. Good job, i say 8/10

OH MY GOD!!! WTF IS TIGGER BOUNCING ON!!!
Nigezu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2006 22:09
By the way, Natflash. Is this this target thingy made by me? If so you made my day. (See attachment).

[img][/img]

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Natflash Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Very probrably, if it was you that made the target then yes, thank you for posting it.
P.S. Sorry for cutting the head off, forgot to move it down, since like I said its only a BETA.

[href][/href]
Tom0001
Years of Service
User Offline
I have the same offer to give as blobzone entertainment inc.

Natflash Games
Years of Service
User Offline
I dunno, all I need help with is custom media (writing on walls, models, characters etc) but what I really need are some outdoor enviroments, alleyways and such (like the ones from propack) so if you can do segements like that then your in.
But if not, what do you have in mind?

[href][/href]
Tom0001
Years of Service
User Offline
I added you to MSN.

Tom

Pitch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2006 02:02
I have to say, everything late in the game was a bit lame and/or cheesey. Nothing was scary after level four except some of the zombie encounters (which were really well scripted). I just couldn't stand the giant boss at the end though, especially with the linkin park music.
Evil Star
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2006 11:44
Thanks for ruining the ending Pitch

Keyboard not found!
Press any key to continue
Tom0001
Years of Service
User Offline
Yeah, Pitch you could've at least said: SPOILER and put it in a code snippet. His e-mail is pitchwhiteawi@hotmail.com
Everybody send hate mail!!!

Tom

Natflash Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2006 20:50 Edited at: 8th May 2006 22:42
Pitch, of course that is your opinion and I value it, and use it to improve my future releases, but could you edit the ending out please
EDIT: Forgot to mention that Linkin Park Rules

[href][/href]
Tom0001
Years of Service
User Offline
SEND HIM HATE MAIL!!!! lol joking.

Tom

PS Studios Entertainment Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th May 2006 22:14
Wooo its finnaly out! Good job!

~ Peller

P.S. Studios Entertainment
~ http://psstudios.net/ ~
PS Studios Entertainment Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2006 23:05
pretty good...never was able to see the movie though

~ Peller

P.S. Studios Entertainment
~ http://psstudios.net/ ~
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th May 2006 21:42
Okay.Here is what I think of the game.
It scared the hell out of me at certain points.The lighting and the majority of the sounds were great with the exception of a few sounds,most notably the telling the marine to report back to HQ thing and a couple of others like that.
I made it to the beginning of level 6-where you are supposed to get the you know what and all the zombies jumped me.I still had three lives left and my game was over in les than a minute.Why?Because the new toy you get didn't work,I didn't have much ammo and the zombies ate me like a box of chicken McNuggets.
Which brings me to my main gripe.Weapons.Sometimes they worked somethimes they didn't.One minute I would have 6 rounds in my clip (for the record I believe the Colt .45 has a 7 round clip) and the next minute my clip only held two rounds.There could have been more health.Some of the hallways were looong but it didn't cause my pathetic pc any slowdown so that can be forgiven.
The ending movie was pretty good.
There are things you can't be faulted for like no save/load,the ungodly loading times,etc. but those are the fault of the engine and for the sake of reviewing I choose not to include them.
I can say you have the lighting down.You just about have the audio down.Having the player go back where they came from and having new enemies there was cool.
When you make your next game you might want to work on the weapon problem and rely less on some of the Doom 3 audio.Maybe find something different.
So I will give you a score:
Graphics:4/5
Sound:4/5
Ambience:5/5 (This game scared the crap out of me at times.It was a good job of using suspense to make the game as opposed to run and gun.)
Gameplay:3/5 The weapon thing...
Level design:4/5
Replayabiltiy:3/5 I am hoping you make an update or a patch to fix these minor problems.
Overall:4/5 i have to give you an "E" for effort.FPSC V1 hasn't been out that long and you still managed to pull this off.Good job.I can't wait to see what you do next.I recommend anyone that likes a good horror game to download it.Heck,it's free and I had a decent time being scared.Well done,Natflash.

FLa
Where you can find my demo:http://www.savefile.com/files/6970524
shadow demon92
Years of Service
User Offline
i havent downloaded this yet, i will probably though. but this game sounds sweet. After i get used to fpsc once i buy let me know if u need help i like games like yours, nice job.
Natflash Games
Years of Service
User Offline
The Undead Patch v 1.1 is now available here
[href]http://www.natsam.co.uk/Natsam/Undead Patch.exe[/href]
The patch will fix all known bugs apart from the ending, and a few level changes have been made, to level 3, so there is now more health and more ammo, and the best thing is its under 22 meg!
Do not change directory unless you did so with The Undead the default directory is C:\Program Files\The Undead (then \files but do NOT change this)
If your undead directory is different, please change it accordingly.
If you are a newbie just leave it, it should be right.

[href][/href]
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th May 2006 21:50
Did you fix the bug at the beginning of level 6.?

FLa
Where you can find my demo:http://www.savefile.com/files/6970524
Natflash Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Yes all known bugs have been fixed.

[href][/href]
Psycho Warrior
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th May 2006 17:38 Edited at: 14th May 2006 17:50
I downloaded and played it but I wasn't impressed. There were too many hallways and most of the levels just had a direct path to the end and nothing else. The sounds were good though, but not impressive since I have already played DoomIII and Fear. The player sounds were really bad in a funny way. Especially when an enemy hit the player (made me laugh the first time I heard it).

Lightning was nice, and so was the athmosphere. The story wasn't really creative (general military base infested with zombies, whoo hoo) but did it's job. The ending...well, it was really typical.

If you make more games, try to make them less "hallwayish". Give the player more freedom to choose what to do. Add more variety to the levels as well, so the player won't get bored while playing.

And here is the score:

Gameplay: Mostly shooting zombies like always. Nothing bad about it, but too low amount of health and ammo. 3.5/5
Sounds: Doom III/Fear. Heard them all once, after that, they become repetive. Standard FPSC menu music. 2/5
Level Design: The biggest problem. Just hallways and elevators until the end of the world. Not much variety between levels. 1.5/5
Lightning: The first level didn't have so impressive lightning, but other than that, exellent. 4/5
Weapons: Larger selection would be nice. 3/5
Graphics: Most of it stock, HL2 zombies, coca-cola machines, some custom models. Not bad. 4/5
Replayability: Nothing new to see after the first run trough the game. 2/5
Story: The standard military base. Once again. Typical ending. 2/5

Not a totally bad game, but not really good either.

Final Score: 2.5/5

Natflash Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Thank you for the review, I will take into account everything there to improve my next game, Dead On The Street, I also agree the level design was a little boring and repetetive, which is why Dead On The Street will be a lot more detailed and variable.

[href][/href]
DoOmEd MaRiNe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2006 22:56
i loved the hell level! it was awsome but it crahed while loading into the next level

war is bad
(formerly phantom rave)
mgs rules and silent hill
DoOmEd MaRiNe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th May 2006 23:01
this game just needs some polish and you will have a nice game with less hall ways, i liked the detail and the work you putin but its not the best but is still pretty dang cool ,it dindent scare me but made me run around levels like a loony in search of ammo in hell!
i plan to make a video of the game (with permission) with a narrative review its much quicker than typeing!

war is bad
(formerly phantom rave)
Natflash Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Yea sure, you can make a narrative video.

[href][/href]
DoOmEd MaRiNe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th May 2006 09:52
ok good thanks

war is bad
(formerly phantom rave)

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-18 03:40:31
Your offset time is: 2024-04-18 03:40:31