Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Scripts / putting an invisible roof on a courtyard to speed up entity scanning

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2006 04:08
My player emerges into a courtyard. The level slows down when he steps outside. would it speed things up if I put a roof over the courtyard, and set its alpha to 0 so it wouldn't show (if thats how you do it) so the sky would still show?

Student Programmer
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2006 08:21
I'm not sure that would make any difference.I think if you can see it FPSC counts it against you.However,I am not sure.

FLa
Where you can find my demo:http://www.savefile.com/files/6970524
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2006 13:29
Invisible and in some cases passable walls are something that needs experimenting with in outdoor areas particularly to ascertain how the engine itself and other game entities treat them.

Can indeed they be seen through? I'm not sure nyone has clarified that in testing.

It would be very useful if they could be used as level area dividers to block objects beyond.

New Comers Corner,

Perhaps you should test the theory and be the first to give some feedbac to the community on this issue.

I may have a quick look later and see what happens.

New Comers Corner
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2006 19:21
Well, I tested it. It works. I made a large thin box in Magic FPS, set it to dynamic, imported it into my level as a roof over the courtyard and attached an fpi script which set its alpha to 0. It worked for me.
I had an invisible ceiling. See I was wondering if the tracing entities do extends very far upward and just continues out into the edge of the matrix if there isn't any ceiling. I was trying to close off the roof and still see the sky dome. That worked, and it may have been faster however something else strange happened, and the four enemies I had put in the courtyard disappeared! So I took my sky dome off.
You can make blocks for rooms and set the alpha to make them transparent. This would be useful especially for those annoying soldiers who fly backward so far when they're shot, that they jam into a wall with only thier feet showing. Ridiculous, doesn't look real. That bother anyone else? I think I can make a professional game with FPSC, and the animations and the detail on the provided characters is wonderful, but little things like them getting stuck in walls spoils the illusion. Its especially embarrassing when childrens games with cutesy 3d characters seem to respect the reality of walls better. So maybe putting 3d invisible blocks will keep the shot characters from flying into walls.

Student Programmer
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2006 19:59
Well good on you for actually testing the theory out. There may be more mileage in it.

Its been suggested before - currently I am still working indoors but when I get back to my outdoor levels if not before I will have a little experiment myself and see what happens . I need like everyone else to find the best methods of optimisation for outdoor levels and something like this is worth a try at least.

If you do any more with it let us know how you get on.

Les Horribres
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th May 2006 22:05
Use Floor Segments, not boxes.

Although this brings up something else, if the engine does ANYTHING right, simply covering the ceiling will do nothing... you, my freind, have a poly leak.

What Happened:
Polyleaks are hard to explain, basically, you are loading more map then you should be, and you can't tell why. I have found several times that polyleaks can occur from single mesh objects [the types used to place doors or windows].

I have also found that single sided floor segments are more likely to produce a poly leak then a double sided segment, however, double sided segments do seem to load both sides.

There is even the strange occurance when a part of the map is impropperly added in, and it zeroes FPS.

What has happened.
It would appear to me that your 'box' has separated that area of the map with the bad area...

Poly Leaks is not the correct term, I admit that, but I commonly use it to describe what I consiter one of the biggest problems in FPSC.

We all have our inner noob. Join the NJL, and have more fun!
I believe society is flawed; our notions on life, on child rearing, stem too far back to be of relevance in this day and time.
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th May 2006 01:36
OnePost,

I agree with your summary. The suggestion of blocking off or dividing areas with any transparent barrier may still have some mileage - thats the point in question.

In outdoor areas one has some difficulty in ascertaining where they may be such a thing as a poly leak if ones can see large distances in open areas.

In such areas theres what you could describe as one big leak so anything that may cut down poly counts and/or increase fps would be useful.

We dont have zone or area division recognition inside the engine though we do seem to have culling even if its seemingly erratically calculated so if any tranparent object could help I'd certainly give it a go.

Leaks or not anything that might boost fps is worth investigating.

If it did work it might help in those 0 fps situations if one could isolate the reason for the massive poly increases when that tends to happen.

I would not hold up much hope but anythings worth a try.

As said I'll have a look at it when back in outdoor levels - I will need to as much optimisation is required and none done to date in those outdoor levels. To be fair I already have pretty good fps averaging I guess around 26fps apart from a couple of serious lagg spots in outdoor levels.

Les Horribres
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th May 2006 22:42
Reminder to Self...
If this isn't stickied, then the process should be known.

@New Comers Corner. If you have any media associated with this, provide it. It will help others who encounter such issues and allow them to try the NewCommers Technique

We all have our inner noob. Join the NJL, and have more fun!
I believe society is flawed; our notions on life, on child rearing, stem too far back to be of relevance in this day and time.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-07 21:28:58
Your offset time is: 2024-05-07 21:28:58