Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

3 Dimensional Chat / Smoothing effect nightmare

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2003 03:57
Hi, guys! Sorry to bother you all, but I'm getting a problem that I'm not quite sure how to overcome, and was hoping that somebody here know a solution.

I'm trying to make angular objects (two-sided walls, at the moment), but the polygon smoothing effect is giving me grief - it insists on creating smooth shadows over the walls and trying to eliminate the corners as best it can.

I'm using 3DSMax, with the smoothing groups set correctly, to export the models as .3ds files, which are then converted to .x files by means of the Conv3ds program. I've tried fiddling with the model and the program settings a bit and have come to the conclusion that the smoothing isn't actually being controlled by the smooth groups, but instead by the UV mapping.

Can anybody suggest ways to get around this problem? Perhaps a tool that lets me change the vertex normals of an object, or something? I'm using DB 1.13 without the enhancements, if that helps.
"I am a living, thinking entity who was created in the sea of information."

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-03 20:51:47
Your offset time is: 2024-05-03 20:51:47