Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / GBA Games

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2003 13:12
I just wanna know, how on earth are you supposed to program GBA Games?????? and even then, how doyou get the games onto cartridges????? Was it Kangaroo2 who's doing gba??
Nothing in life is worth doing if it's hard...

... Except programming
Shadow
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2003 16:19
Presumably you'll need a language like C++ (guess) , because darkbasicpro needs directx which is a microsoft thing (guess) and wont be on a gba (not guess).

Once you've got that done, you'll need a way to check that it works (some kind of special computer package maybe?)

And you'll need a machine which makes GBA cartridges (usually done in nintendo's factories I presume).
Xoid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2003 16:19 Edited at: 31st Mar 2003 16:35
if you wanna code GBA games, VERY enjoyable I might add, LOL

your gonna NEED a few tools,

GBA Emulator to run the games:
download VisualBoyAdvance from http://vboy.emuhq.com/

Compiler to convert C code into GBA Code:
download GBADevKit from: http://devkitadv.sourceforge.net/index.html

for GBA coding example and tutorial:
goto : http://www.loirak.com/prog/index.html

oh yeah, on the loirak website there was something about porting your code to a cartridge, try this: http://www.lik-sang.com/default.php

I searching around and found this : http://www.gamegizmo.com/

have fun!

Do not anticipate the outcome of the engagement, let nature take it's course, and your tools will strike at the right moment - from "Tao of Jeet Kune Do" by Bruce Lee
Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2003 19:58 Edited at: 31st Mar 2003 20:02
Try HAM at http://www.ngine.de
Or try Dragon Basic (Another DB!!!) at http://www.simforth.com

HAM is the more known, with Dragon Basic just starting up. But it looks interesting, with some interesting demos (bat and ball looks good). I'm just starting to look at DB myself, and just bought the XG USB 256M link for porting all your games to the GBA. Nice. And then I noticed the GP32. Hmmmm... Must ignore..... Look at http://www.gbax.com for more stuff.

Cheers

I am 99% probably lying in bed right now... so don't blame me for crappy typing
Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Mar 2003 20:11
Oh, and cos you are in the UK too then order the hardware from http://www.gbax.com as is based in UK and does 24hr delivery. Or wait until I reply with a love/hate message on this thread. Although annoyingly I don't think it took a different address to the credit card registry address (I don't work from home), so a trip to the post office in the next couple of days methinks.

I read somewhere that someone put 900 emulated zx spectrum games on one 256 cart with an emulator. Not bad; I had around 500 games when I was a kid... almost double that in my pocket! Nice. Not to mention the back up possibilities. Just incase my carts snap or something. I'll do the same service for my mates

Cheers

I am 99% probably lying in bed right now... so don't blame me for crappy typing
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2003 01:14
i can't remember where the site is, but search for NO$GMB as its the best gameboy emulator around (is actually used professionaly) and although like $20 is worth it, cause it does all the gameboy's (including the SuperGB) plus you're capable of editing data directly in hex&binary plus edit the sprites directly (^_^)

plus its the only one i've found which will run Gameboy/Gameboy Colour/Gameboy Advanced games without slowdoand & without bugs

Tsu'va Oni Ni Jyuuko Fiori Sei Tau!
One block follows the suit ... the whole suit of blocks is the path ... what have you found?
Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2003 03:02 Edited at: 1st Apr 2003 03:13
I have certainly more than dabled in Gameboy (Classic and Color) games hacking and producing, but only for fun. Unfortunately, since the days of the NES I've been negotiating deals to make Nintendo cartridge games, and its A: Very expensive and B: Very difficult to get approval. Basically only Nintendo are allowed to release or at least endorse carts, so you buy a dev kit for about 10 grand, then spend years making a game, only for Nintendo to say "Oh Nice game but we wanna release a similar product, so sorry you have to scrap it" Grrr The Nokia N-Gage seems a better option for the future, Raven and I and a few others are looking into that.

[Edit] I should have mentionned that you can buy blank cartridges for "backup" but I've only ever seen them for quite high prices, and Nintendo would sue your ass off if you tried to comercially release anything. Strangely tho I know of one company who made GameBoyColor games recently and their games were for sale in a few shops for a while, being marketted by Datel. Plus a double game cartridge was given away free on an unnofficial GB magazine last year. It was kinda cool, I've got it somewhere "Space Invasion / Karate Joe" I think its called...

Coming Soon! Kangaroo2 Studio... wait and quiver with anticipation! lol
samjones@kangaroo2.com - http://www.kangaroo2.com - If the apocalypse comes, email me
Ben
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2003 17:57
Thanks guys

... Except programming
Ben
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2003 18:11
Oh and uh xoid, what files do i need from the DevKit Website?

... Except programming
pathfinder
Years of Service
User Offline
holy moly you seen that GP32 kang?

Xoid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2003 19:23 Edited at: 1st Apr 2003 19:25
Download all these files;

Release 5 (Beta 2) 2003-03-30 22:00

agb-win-binutils-r5-beta-2.zip 9968104 0 i386 .zip
agb-win-core-r5-beta-2.zip 827656 0 i386 .zip
agb-win-gcc-r5-beta-2.zip 5016165 0 i386 .zip
agb-win-libstdcpp-r5-beta-2.zip 8151002 0 i386 .zip
agb-win-newlib-r5-beta-2.zip

Do not anticipate the outcome of the engagement, let nature take it's course, and your tools will strike at the right moment - from "Tao of Jeet Kune Do" by Bruce Lee
Ben
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2003 20:04
ok thanks
only problem, i dont know C/C++
What is more easy, learning C/C++ and downloading all the little files, or downloading HAM (one big 48.8Mb file).
Id HAM just a C/C++ editor? or is it some kind of gameboy-game studio?

... Except programming
Xoid
Years of Service
User Offline
well... you could download Borland Turbo C++ 5.x compiler(free) and learn basic ANSI C/C++
but if you want to create games for the GBA without much hassle, then Dragon Basic OR HAM as Dazzag suggested would probably be more suitable, but the choice is yours.

still, It's worth learning ANSI C/C++, you won't regret it for a minute, trust me

Kangaroo2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2003 21:36
Pathfinder - Yep! I haven't got one yet, but the prospect of a games machine that also plays mp3s and mpgs and uses expansion media is kinda cool! By the look of it the 3rd party support is pretty poor, but maybe it'll uptake soon.

Unfortunately it'll prolly fall early just like other cool machines like NGPC, Wonderswan ans the old Lynx and GameGear. All better (in some ways at least ) than the equivalent Gameboy at the time, but all killed by Nintendos lil beastie

Coming Soon! Kangaroo2 Studio... wait and quiver with anticipation! lol
samjones@kangaroo2.com - http://www.kangaroo2.com - If the apocalypse comes, email me
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2003 21:48
BennyII - have a look at http://www.loirak.com/gameboy/gbatutor.html, I used this tutorial and it explains everything.

You are the th person to view this signature.
Programmers don't die, they just Gosub without return....
Xoid
Years of Service
User Offline
David89, I already gave bennyII the link to that website

David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Apr 2003 22:32
I know, but it seems that he hasn't read it yet:

Quote: "Oh and uh xoid, what files do i need from the DevKit Website?"

(and you didn't give a direct link to the tutorial)

You are the th person to view this signature.
Programmers don't die, they just Gosub without return....
Xoid
Years of Service
User Offline
yeah, I know, soz

what's wrong with people searching? they may find something useful

Ben
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2003 11:09
Hey, thanks guys, i found that site anyway

would anybody be happy to be my C\C++ tutor? i have no idea of C other than my dad has borland turbo C\C++ 5 and it's kinda similar to JAVA (which i did try then gave up).

if someone is available to teach me on saturday afternoons, then that would be great

Thanks guys, Ben

... Except programming
Xoid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2003 11:17 Edited at: 2nd Apr 2003 11:23
BennyII, there are PLENTY of tutorials on the internet, seriously there are plenty, a good site to goto is cprogramming.com. I would recommend working with the ANSI C standard first.

Have Fun!

Xoid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2003 11:20 Edited at: 2nd Apr 2003 11:22
hmm... strange!

Ben
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2003 12:45
What is strange?

... Except programming
Ben
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2003 12:59
I can never work from tutorials they bore the hell outta me, I really need someone to talk with ti learn properly

... Except programming
Ben
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2003 14:17
Sig test...

Tha D'lithi'om CRR'ist'lls Can'na Tek it Cap'n!
Xoid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2003 18:37 Edited at: 2nd Apr 2003 18:39
Benny, I don't know how else your gonna learn any programming language if that's the way you feel, it's not always possible to have 'mentor' around, your gonna have to work from a tutorial some time.

Anyway, it's a little bit unrealistic having someone 'teach' once a week on Saturday or whenever, there are people who don't mind helping you, but, comeon, think about, teach you once a week WITHOUT getting paid for it, LOL, you will be VERY lucky to get someone like that.

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2003 03:29
i would... however i would kinda expect something in return, because people don't waste thier time for free now do they (^_^)
probably do it with the stipulation that you had to help out with a project i'm working on at the end of it.

kinda like an internship deal
however the optimal work there is would cause i don't have the time no matter the reward.

One block follows the suit ... the whole suit of blocks is the path ... what have you found?
Ben
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2003 10:59
Hey raven, if you do ever get the time, I'd be more than happy to hepl you with your projects!, WOW getting on Raven's credits list, now theres a thought... if you like id be hapy to hep you with our projects at the mo anyway, i dont have anything 'on' in programming at the mo.
Except maybe helping rose...

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2003 11:09
Rose probably needs the help right now... i've been so busy with personal crap i've not had the time to help her out.

wish i did but i'd planned around having a good 4months of development time, to be told i'd have 2 and a fornite after 2months had already gone - with those weeks i was suppose to come home and sort stuff out.

:: sighs ::

well you get the idea, at the mo i'm upto my neck in crap - and i've had around 30-40mins here and there to work on her stuff, probably around 4hours in total ... just been insane.

Ben
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2003 14:04
Tough break. As i say, if you need any help, i'd happily lend a hand, or should i say, mouse?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-21 19:05:20
Your offset time is: 2024-05-21 19:05:20