Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Work In Progress / Der Scharfschütze ( The Sniper)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2006 08:51 Edited at: 16th Jun 2006 10:20
You're Matthais Hetzenauer of Tyrol
You have a kill of 345.
345 Certified hits is the most successful German sniper.
You have been sent to kill an Ein Umdrehung Mantel (turn coat) ,and anyone with this person ,as noone can see the information this person knows.
You will be dropped in behind enemy lines ,close to your target .
Good luck

Gallery screenshots on my web site.

Like to thanks :
Ozark Games
Higgins
The Game Creators

Download game
Small game and shouldn't take to long to win.
Just warming up for the big game.

Disturbing 13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2006 09:21 Edited at: 16th Jun 2006 09:22
Pretty cool menu, but ya might want to clean up the typos in the final version.(I'm a major typo offender so I really can't talk)

-You're Matthais
-an Ein Umdrehung
-,and anyone
-,as noone
-dropped in behind
-,close

Like I said, I am majorly guilty of typos so please take no offence. heck my edits might even be wrong,lol.

Candle_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2006 09:27
Thanks, I have some problems with spelling and memory so I make lots of errors. lol
I will try and fix that. just takes so long to upload again..

Mr Flowerkohl
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2006 10:10
mmhh....i think the name you want to use is "Matthias"....not matthais. and a turn coat ?!?!? whats that ? "ein umdrehung" is the same as "one turn" i could help you if youre not so familar with the german language

yeah...thats the ticket !
Candle_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2006 10:19
Did anyone play the game?
Don't sweat the spelling it is the game that matters. lol

Disturbing 13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2006 10:42
downloading now, but wont be able to play till tomorrow. It's 2:41am here, but I definitely will comment tomorrow.

Candle_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2006 10:53
Yes it is late here too, need to get some sleep . thanks for trying it out.

Benjamin A
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2006 17:13
Ein Umdrehung Mantel

This someone who's deserting and run's over to the enemy.

http://www.gamefun4u.nl/index.html
GameFun4U, the ultimate funtainment. Cool Games and Resources for your own games.
Disturbing 13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2006 20:42 Edited at: 16th Jun 2006 20:45
I'm back. i played the game and it was a pretty cool premise, but man the framerate was pretty bad for a one room level. From what I gathered you used alot of dynamic objects and that eats up performance like you wouldnt believe. i know this because when I shot a few guys they bumped crates and moved them very slightly. Such objects should be deemed as way too heavy and considered non moving. This way it won't seem so choppy. I'm really not much into WW2 games, but the sniper aspect of this one was pretty decent. Great level design in terms of visuals, but the multicolored lights accually kind of detract from the ambiance. You should have really stuck with one type maybe 2. Now that im thinking about it, that menu program was running constantly right? Maybe that's the source of your performance drain. Just curious, what ai script did you use,default or custom? Because there were points where the soldires got confused and started swimming in midair. May want to check that. All in all Good visual level desighn, iffy lights, I liked the sniper aspect of it, but the framerate could use a helping hand or at least loose the hindering hand (menu and dynamic entities). You get 3 out of 5 <---(my new ranking system)

Candle_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2006 20:52
I think the only dynamic objects are the door on the jail, door with key and the soldiers. should I make most of the soldiers static?
I will change the lights as you are right about that.

Black
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2006 21:06
nice!i wanted to play a game like this,the thing with the sniper stuff is a realy cool idea,i'm downloading right now...
Disturbing 13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2006 21:07
nah dont make the soldiers static, but check your crates.and the jail cell doesn't need to be dynamic, plus i notice the door requires a key. Unless you accually have a key and there is a secret easteregg room I would change that door to a "dummy door" Like I said I think your performance problem lies within the menu program constantly running. because a 1 room demo shouldn't lag that bad. What framerate did you get when testing it? Also did you compile it with full shaders?

Candle_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2006 21:16
I looked and did do full shaders, so maybe that is part of the problem?
But I have a slow computer to most here so I get slow frame rates all the time. lol
The menu won't use that much so wouldn't be that.

Disturbing 13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2006 21:32 Edited at: 16th Jun 2006 21:34
Ahh the shaders or as I call them (the useless feature unless you have an uber comp) that could definitely be your problem. Even I get crappy framerates when testing a small room with full shaders and full lightmaps on. Sure it looks good in still shots but is it fun to play at a low framerate? Not really. when you get a recompile with the fixes let me know and I'll geve your demo another go. yeah even if you have no shadeing effects accually present like bumpmaps and such, and you have full shaders on it bogs down framerate.
EDIT- I was sincerly hoping it wasn't the menu program as I may need to use one myself.

Candle_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2006 21:50
As you can see in this screenshot I turned off all lighing and all the good stuff and still low framerate.
So not sure what to do next?

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Disturbing 13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2006 22:57
yeesh, what exact settings do you have going when you test?
and what are your system stats?

Candle_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2006 23:14
1.80 gigahertz AMD Athlon XP
128 kilobyte primary memory cache
64 kilobyte secondary memory cache

768 Megabytes Installed Memory

Slot 'A0' has 512 MB
Slot 'A1' has 256 MB

NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 (Microsoft Corporation) [Display adapter]

Vinyl AC'97 Codec Combo Driver (WDM)
This is what I have and have it running at( see screenshot)

Attachments

Nigezu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jun 2006 23:46
That wide open area would be a problem that causes a bad framerate. I mean that room in the pic is pretty big. Also I recommend to turn automatic floor off.

Intel P4 Processor 519 3.06 Ghz, 1536 MB DDR, Ati Radeon 9550 256MB
My site: http://www.freewebs.com/nigezu
Disturbing 13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2006 00:29 Edited at: 17th Jun 2006 00:29
Thanks for reminding me about that Nigezu.
please tell me you had automatic floor on, cuz I'm all out of ideas of why the framerate is bad. Try a recompile useing noshaders and soft lights. use white light only in the spots you had all the others. Have automatic floor turned off and if worse comes to worse, then compile at 256 rather than 512. then if you could post so we can test. It may just be your comp. I usually have far more rooms with lots of dressings about the same size and dodnt have that much trouble. I may even try making the level myself and see if it's just too big. If it is then its a shame, cuz its a nice quick game.

Candle_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2006 00:39 Edited at: 17th Jun 2006 00:40
Yes you can see in the screen shot I had it on as I didn't know what it did or what it was for. lol
I will recompile the game in about two hours as I'm burning a dvd now for my wife and have some time left on that.
I will redo it and then reupload it again.
Thanks for all the help with this.
Should add before I added the soldiers it was running faster for me.

Candle_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2006 03:03 Edited at: 17th Jun 2006 03:04
Here is a plain versoin with nothing going. lol
There is no menu so just run the exe.
http://files.filefront.com/sniperrar/;5159658;;/fileinfo.html

SpyDaniel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2006 03:28
Thank you for thanking me for the media I gave away, GBC_Games. If you want good fps, try turning every thing static and turn their main AI to default, also delete any sounds they have and remove the destroyed script (select the path and delete it).

Candle_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2006 04:04
I did and the men didn't show in the game?
Should they show even if they are static.

alex 1337
User Banned
Posted: 17th Jun 2006 04:09
cool
SpyDaniel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2006 04:44 Edited at: 17th Jun 2006 04:45
Do not turn characters to static, leave their settings alone. But every thing else can be static, unless you need to use it. You might want to turn the static entities physics off too.

Wyatt Earp
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2006 05:04
Downloaded and played...some comments and concerns to make the game better...

- why start at the top? I mean, what is the point of those top floors?
- I walked right by all the enemies. No one cared unless I shot at them, then 1 shot back while the others just stayed put.
- My framerate was super low, like maybe 4-6 and I am running a good machine.
- It took about 5 min to load the one level.
- It crashed once I killed everyone.
- My gun disapeared halfway through the game.
- You can see around the door
- Some of the men looked all white like ghosts.
- I went up about 20 ft. when I climbed on a small crate...then fell though it out into the abysss.
- I shot one guy 20 times in the head and he wasnt dead. Used a pistol and with one shot he died.

I like the concept of a good sniper game, so keep at it, but just test the hell outta it. I like white light too...this coloured light makes the game strange...
Candle_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2006 05:13
- why start at the top? I mean, what is the point of those top floors?Your a sniper
- I walked right by all the enemies. No one cared unless I shot at them, then 1 shot back while the others just stayed put.That would be the AI of the engine
- My framerate was super low, like maybe 4-6 and I am running a good machine. Samething that would be the game engine
- It took about 5 min to load the one level.See above
- It crashed once I killed everyone.That was the end not a crash
- My gun disapeared halfway through the game.See above
- You can see around the door.See above
- Some of the men looked all white like ghosts.Didn't do it to me?
- I went up about 20 ft. when I climbed on a small crate...then fell though it out into the abysss.Thats Area51
- I shot one guy 20 times in the head and he wasnt dead. Used a pistol and with one shot he died.He is a bit on the slow side.

Disturbing 13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2006 07:39 Edited at: 17th Jun 2006 07:41
the frame rate was still low but better than before, ofcourse the atmosphere was lost without the lighting. All I can really say is maybe remove some objects and make sure the ones in the pic enclosed are static. You really dont need that many shelves so close to each other. Take some of those ammo boxes off the top shelves. and many of the spools can go also. While your at it get rid of a crate of missiles. that's my only real suggestion for better framerate.
@Wyatt Earp- Sounds like your comp just doesnt like FPSC, because I didn't have any of the non engine related problems. just framerate and swimming guards.

Attachments

Candle_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2006 07:54
But thats the problem, everything in there is now static but the soldiers, and the door and lights. five lights at 200%
Only thing I could do is make more smaller rooms and then you work your way down in the rooms. but kind of ruins the sniper thing.
Did you try to make a room like that yet?
This room is 6 Sq wide
7 Sq long
5 rooms high.

Disturbing 13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2006 08:55
I buitlt it with the same dimensions, and added a similar stock of guards and stuff and wound up with a framerate of 17-15 so yeah I don't think there is anything you could have done. There is just too much stuff in the room. The room itself is fine without anything in it, just too much stuff in there is all.

Candle_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2006 09:04 Edited at: 17th Jun 2006 09:10
Kind of sad, I can play Unreal two and have all kinds of stuff that you can shoot at that moves and things after you and no slow down at all.

For fun

Nigezu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2006 11:21
If you make room smaller you can add more stuff in it.

Intel P4 Processor 519 3.06 Ghz, 1536 MB DDR, Ati Radeon 9550 256MB
My site: http://www.freewebs.com/nigezu
Candle_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2006 11:30
Thanks Nigezu,I'm working on a new design and see if I can do it and get better fps.
Going to have to do it in layers I think.

Wyatt Earp
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2006 13:28
I understand that you are a sniper, but there is no reason for those top layers. Why would they be there? There are no doors...no windows...just a place to snipe from. And I don't think the German's would make a building specifically designed for a sniper.

You may want to work on the AI by placing the entities differently - because it turned into a pretty foul sniper game when they didnt react, or when they did, they jumped through walls and began to flop around.

Sorry to bring it down so much, but you're gonna have to work on a lot of items to make this work right.
Candle_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jun 2006 13:40
I know your trying to help but did you know your a german sniper.
So you would be in a army base lock away so know one can get to you so there would be no windows.
If you were a sniper you would not walk in the front door.
Your trying to fix things and don't know what is going on.

Candle_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jun 2006 00:56
I started on redoing the rooms so I can get the fps a little better . here is the first room done.

Attachments

Disturbing 13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2006 06:02
quick question, what menu program did you use? I like the fact that the files were protected.

Candle_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2006 06:44 Edited at: 19th Jun 2006 06:45
Autoplay studio .. a little on the high side, so don't think you will want to get it but if you like I can do your game for you.

Disturbing 13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2006 09:13
I may just take you up on that offer. thanks !

Candle_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2006 09:21
I can do a menu or just go right to your game start, up to you how you want it to run.

Disturbing 13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2006 11:23 Edited at: 19th Jun 2006 11:26
The menu would be cool, but I must insist on artwork conrol. I'll customize everything, I just need you to tell me what I need. If you wish email me and we'll work something out. I intend on making sure your compensated for this. Exclusivity of my media is a must, because some of my model pack stuff may be in my game and demo. Ofcourse you will be put in the credits too.(I like those buttons pulling up crdeits and whatnot)like I said email me and we'll work something out.

Candle_
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jun 2006 11:36

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 06:44:37
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 06:44:37