Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Professional Discussion / multiplayer simulation on one PC

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I am having great trouble trying to run 2 copies of the same app set up to do standard simulated multiplayer stuff... one is setup for hosting, and the other tries to join as a player.

Both are using the TCP/IP connection type. Both ask for an IP #. Why? I got this code from the DB samples.
The host appears to start a new session/connection.
The joiner never finds it.

For the IP, I'm using everything I can come up with. 127.0.0.0, 127.1.1.1, 127.0.0.1, 192.x.55.1, etc.

Any clues why the joiner never finds the connection and/or game session?

I also enabled IPX on my laptop PC and using a direct-parallel cable tried to establish an IPX connection, but since my DB programs refuse to run on the laptop since it doesn't have an accelerated video system or something like that, I can't test that idea.

please write e-mail to:
rtaylor@bayou.com
thanks!
Zed
Years of Service
User Offline
Try setting the IP address to 127.0.0.1 for the server and just pressing enter when the client wants to connec. This used to work for me on DBv1 both over a network and on the same machine.

Super Teo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2002 11:23
Just like Zed said. Use 127.0.0.1 for both the server and client.. thats how I do it
CoCoTower
Years of Service
User Offline
Well, I discovered that 127.0.0.1 doesn't work on my WinXP machine, but... 127.0.0.2 and up does!

My question now is how the player list is viewed by each app or computer that's part of the game session.

I want to set up a demo where it doesn't matter who's hosting or joining, as long as the session just exists, then each player's local position in the game get's sent to every other computer, so everybody's updated in real time of the other's player's positions while also broadcasting your own.

Can a P2P session support more than 2 players which includes yourself? Also, in a P2P is there still always a host? Somebody's gotta be able to remove players from the game, right?

Anyway, I'm calling up the same app and joining in and watching how the messages are sent and received to hopefully take the confusion out of the deal.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 14:00:10
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 14:00:10