Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Scripts / How can a make a mirror actually mirror things on gameplay.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2006 21:22
I have made a mirror for FPSC but cannot figure out how to make it mirror the actual image?

Your signature has been erased by a mod
Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2006 21:22
Impossible.as what i know theres no Reflect shader.

Many tales has bein told about me,and there where i came from.Most bad ones are true.The good ones are false...

Join the dark side and be a legend...
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jun 2006 23:08
I have made a few mirrors and I am sure there are others who have done the same but they don't actually reflect anything.

Disturbing 13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2006 00:34
a possible way to 'fake' a mirror is to build a reversed version of the room you are in and put up an invisible wall so the player cant cross over into it. Problems are it would be neigh impossible to have an enemy in there and ofcourse you won't see yourself in the reflection also. It eats up performance but if it's in a single room like say a bathroom in a house, It wouldnt be too bad. I've accually done this before with a different engine that also didn't support reflective surfaces, only I did it with rain puddles and the ground. It works , it's just faked.

uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2006 01:17
Those were the days eh D13 - I remeber them well.

Yes I have seen it done in those other unmentionable engines and it can be quite effective. Though I would not exchange FPSC for them dispite us having no mirrors.

Mirrors are a really nice feature and used in creative ways can be very effective in extending the quality feel of a game. We can dream cant we and ask for them too but in the feature request forum or TGC may miss it.

"I am and forever will be your friend"
Disturbing 13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2006 02:42
If i only had the time to grasp some scripting I could conjure some extremely unnerving effects with FPSC useing the faked reflection method....Scripting or not I think I will try anyway.

FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2006 03:05
You could make the texture of the mirror so it reflects a character by putting the image of said character in the mirror's texture.

300 win mag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2006 05:59 Edited at: 22nd Jun 2006 06:46
ok heres ta way fpscreator is.....the cretor u are is not seen but the ai can see u but u cant. i have done a reflection before ON MULTIPLAYER! but the hard part is getting it on multiplayer. i just used milkshape 3d to get the texture on the player(hehe that player was cool as ice) and xported it with milkshape 3d as well. but most of you will not beleave me but i had to reset the hard drive because of a bug. so i lost countless hours of tring to get the player in multiplayer but me and my frinds stell have the cds that the game is on. if some how i can get the files off the cd ill give then to you all.

I BE WORKING ON IT

Remaking Soul Survivor because compture crashed
BULLSHOCK 2
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2006 08:00 Edited at: 22nd Jun 2006 08:00
or you could make a game where you play as a vampire and you dont have a reflection anyway!

http://www.seqoiagames.com/seqoiacorp/
FredP
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jun 2006 18:23
That's something I never thought of.

Zerodin
Years of Service
User Offline
I got experience in doing render work, and I gotta tell ya, true reflective surfaces eat ALOT of system resources! Without some good code optimizing the frame rate would suffer!

"Mushrooms, Snakes, and you!" the selfhelp book for badgers
Les Horribres
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2006 03:01 Edited at: 24th Jun 2006 23:54
if you want to get SUPER technical you could make a grey scale distance mirror.

Basically do some ray casts and if they hit something record the distance... farther away the darker it is, closer the whiter. You would need a good 150 of these scripts running which = framerate death.

Either way, the script would be extensive and the setup would be unbearable... but if you want to go on and try.

Quote: "I got experience in doing render work, and I gotta tell ya, true reflective surfaces eat ALOT of system resources! Without some good code optimizing the frame rate would suffer!"

Duke Nukem 3D has mirrors... not too much resource drain. (after all you ARE just having a camera in one place displayed on the mirror. It is already rendered because the the plrs presence in the room.

Your Mod was deleted by the Government.
One can only know so much, only comprehend the world to a point. After that we exist as impressionable beings. Doing nothing, being nothing, forever nothing.
CLAW
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2006 13:17
Wait a minute, in System Shock 2 there is a mirror which reflects your image.
And before you start the game you design a character, so if i could make it like that, maybe it would work?
CLAW
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2006 13:18
Then i could send it to Whisper when im done?
W H I S P E R
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2006 20:27
No thanks mate lol,
WHISPER

666-=Angel of death, bringer of pain.
None to lose, BUT ALL TO GAIN=-666
Les Horribres
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jun 2006 23:55
claw... what?

You just need another camera... that is it really

Your Mod was deleted by the Government.
One can only know so much, only comprehend the world to a point. After that we exist as impressionable beings. Doing nothing, being nothing, forever nothing.
Zerodin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jun 2006 05:35 Edited at: 25th Jun 2006 06:02
Ohhhh...I was thinking you had to do it with a shader! Just an extra camera, that's it? I gotta try this one out! Well maybe after I get some more stuff about coding learned first.

"Mushrooms, Snakes, and you!" the selfhelp book for badgers

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-19 16:22:37
Your offset time is: 2024-05-19 16:22:37