Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

3 Dimensional Chat / Having trouble with modeling??This may help.

Author
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Apr 2003 02:16 Edited at: 2nd Apr 2003 02:18
Alright I've found a good tutorial for milkshape 3d.If you don't have milkshape you can download it here.

http://www.swissquake.ch/chumbalum-soft/ms3d/index.html

milkshape is very good for making characters.
It takes a little while to learn,BUT this tutorial page will help you make characters in no time.It explains almost everything about making human characters. Just locate the tutorials on this website and you're good to go.

http://www.joshonen.ch.vu/

Enjoy

Clans of our Galaxy
A new space simulation coming in 2004 -yellow-
updates on CooG: 25 untextured spaceship models
iac249
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2003 01:30
You're right! That's a great tutorial!
bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2003 08:27
yep good site..learned alot from there

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2003 11:04
i'd be interested to know exactly what you guys have learnt from this which you'll be able to take onto other projects.

Tsu'va Oni Ni Jyuuko Fiori Sei Tau!
One block follows the suit ... the whole suit of blocks is the path ... what have you found?
bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2003 12:53
Quote: "i'd be interested to know exactly what you guys have learnt from this which you'll be able to take onto other projects."

not sure exactly why you want to know...but...

I learned basic milkshape techniques like what the different buttons do and learned some vertex modeling techniques

mostly this site was good for learning how to work with milkshape, but i feel the tutorials lacked in a lot of good techniques like.. texturing, box modeling, the animations tutorial was lacking...oh ya..and the human images he used werent even lined up^_^ I learned a good technique of making images line up on ur own.. to crop all the wasted space around all the edges to the exact outline of the object you're modeling, that way as long as each perspective is to scale it will line up.. I didn't learn everything i know now from just this site, but I didn't learn everything I know from just one other.... i used a gambit of sources^_^ if you want some i can dig em up

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2003 19:24
i asked because it is probably a very poor tutorial to have learnt from, very pandering - good to feel like your achieveing something, however not so good to actually learn from. The actual german one also has far better descriptions on it of things, i wish he'd got someone else to translate it.

and i've found the best way to make picture actually useful is to crop them to the outer edges, place them on planes and then scales the planes to size - use them as the background in textured veiw. Its just a shame that the 3D veiws you can't see the Vertex in for milkshape so you have to actually model a little blind at first and hope you're putting them down right - but this should be corrected soon. Was suppose to have been done in 1.64 but too many problems came up with other things.

i've noticed almost all the tutorials you find online, and specifically for Milkshape - they actually lack alot of technique, people jump from one technique to another which makes everything very confusing the end user. Because it feels like the style has changed, and unknown to the uninitiated they're actually learning alot of bad habits as a result which they take onto thier next project ... as a result alot of people never quite learn to model aspects quite right because they can't grasp the use of things properly.

Sad when you think about it
this is why i actively encourage people who ask what a feature does and plays with it ... because they can learn alot more by just playing with the tools and enjoying themselves after knowing what a tool is suppose to do than learning something within a tutorial

Tsu'va Oni Ni Jyuuko Fiori Sei Tau!
One block follows the suit ... the whole suit of blocks is the path ... what have you found?
Simple
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2003 19:53
Veggie forgot to mention that he thinks everyone should only model the same way he does, and thats the only way to model. And you should not follow any online tutorials unless they have been approved by him ( which also means they model like he does )!!

You seem to be dissing a lot of Milkshape tut's lately ...... maybe you should write something yourself ( if you have the knowledge yourself that it )

I also think you should listen to your own words here, and apply them to using photoshop.

As for following online Milkshape tutorials, I think it's a good idea... especially if you are new to using MS. Whether they are good ones or bad ones, you will still learn from them ( even if all you learn is something you should NOT do again )

Spec - AMD Athlon 1000mhz - 256mb DDR - Gforce2mx 400 - 60gb HD - 19" Compaq - DVD rom

actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2003 20:43 Edited at: 4th Apr 2003 20:43
I agree that nothing can help more than actually knowing why the tools behave and in which goal but you always need a tutorial at least as an intoduction that is when you don't have a place like here to ask for them.

That's one thing even bugging me at some point,not enough technical questions I mean I feel useless redirecting someone to a character modeling tut rather than telling him basic mesh editing concepts and such...

Just remember that you're standing on a planet that's evolving
And revolving at nine hundred miles an hour!
MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2003 21:37 Edited at: 4th Apr 2003 21:37
I just gave a link that helped me grab some basics of milkshape.If it doesn't help you then don't use it, but if it does then GREAT.

-Clans of our Galaxy Delayed-
-Galaxy Championship in the future forecast-
As soon as I get webpage we will find out more.
actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2003 22:14 Edited at: 4th Apr 2003 22:40
heh no problems,I just find milkshape limiting...for it's limited to the use of triangles(???)

Just remember that you're standing on a planet that's evolving
And revolving at nine hundred miles an hour!
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2003 22:17
Show me a 3D package that isn't?

(heh, sorry.. couldn't resist that, everything 3D being made from triangles 'n all)

I know what you mean though, but Milkshape is still my personal fav next to Cinema 4D.

Cheers,

Rich

"Gentlemen, we are about to short-circuit the Universe!"
DB Team / Atari ST / DarkForge / Retro Gaming
John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2003 04:50
Im just going to keep out of this one *Backs away slowly*

RPGamer

Current - RPG: Eternal Destiny