Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / Scud Stopper retro game finished

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2003 18:05
Hello everyone.

My retro game entry was finished yesterday.

http://www.shinybrain.com/games/

A 3D version of Missile Command.

Let me see if the image will work:
[img width=600 height=450]http://www.shinybrain.com/games/shot13.jpg[/img]
Andy Igoe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2003 18:17
Looking forward to playing it but my crosshair zooms off to the right and doesn't react to the mouse... it's as if my joystick trim is out - which would be correctable with calibration if it was joystick controlled

Pneumatic Dryll, Outrageous epic cleric of EQ/Xev
God made the world in 7 days, but we're still waiting for the patch.
tiresius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2003 19:01
Thanks PneumaticDryll for the report.

Could you do me a favor (if you have DBPro 3.1 handy)? In the code there is a label check_mouse with a rem'd out section of code. If you could remove the remark and then run the code from DBPro I'm wondering if that would fix the issue?

Do you have an optical mouse?

Andy Igoe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2003 20:05
Didn't fix it.

I use a trackball, I've no custom driver software or logitech mouse control install so the computer wouldn't know the difference between this and a mouse - the input to the PC is the same.

xtom
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Apr 2003 21:11
I'm having the same problem with the mouse. Looks really good though and it looks like it would be great fun to play.
morfeus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2003 01:56
uh-huh, the mouse control is frigged up; the game looks nice, maybe except for the explosions which disappear without fading - *pop*, i am gone (or is it my half-broken graphic card?).
scribbley
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2003 02:25
I can't move the mouse at all. Unless I am missing something but it just stays in the middle and does nothing. Maybe add a keyboard control system with the cursor keys ?. Its a shame cause it looks really nice and looks as though it could play really well.

I tried the game on 2 different machines and both times the mouse just stayed still. I even picked up my graphics tablet pen in the hope it would do something different also but sadly no. I take it you just have to move the mouse and the cursor will mvoe ?

But I have to say I do like the overal look and feel of the game which has kept the style of missile command.
Andy Igoe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2003 03:19
There's definately something mousey going on here. Luckily we've the weekend ahead which should give you enough time to sniff out the problem, although you might only just make the closing date by a wisker. It'll be a tail order to be done in time no doubt, but i'm sure you'll get it done and we can fur-give you for this bug.

You rodent worry too much, the last beta worked fine for me so I am guessing the vermin here is something simple.

PiratSS
Years of Service
User Offline
That's exactly the game that was in my mind good work!

I like how you made the 3D !

Cheers.

There are two types of people in the world: The ones who summon and the ones that create. There is a big difference...
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2003 05:09
I can't get the game to work the mouse flies off to the right and is uncontrollable.

Cheers,

Rich

"Gentlemen, we are about to short-circuit the Universe!"
DB Team / Atari ST / DarkForge / Retro Gaming
tiresius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2003 08:45
Hi everybody. Thanks for checking this out I really appreciate it. I should have sent this game out long time ago for bug checks on the boards but I was scared someone would see it and then make the same game twice as good in half the time, as this is my first DB project and I'm already humbled by the other entries.

So we have two problems, the mouse either doesn't move, or it moves uncontrollably and hugs the right corner. The non-movement bug is definitely fixed.

I believe it was a problem with a corrupt .dbpro project file, because without changing the mouse code, I made a new project with the .dba file and the mouse started working. I was fooling around with icons previously, maybe it messed up the compiler settings or something. It was reading 0 for both mousex() and mousey() functions, no matter what the real position was (even in title screen where I don't do anything to the mouse).

The second problem with the cursor hugging the corner, I only saw that at my work machine earlier today (which doesn't have DBPro) so I've made a code change at home that hopefully will fix it. Basically what I was doing was checking the difference between the last mouse position and the current mouse position to determine where the cursor should move in 3D coordinates. But what I also did was a constant position mouse x,y call to reset the mouse to the center of the screen so it wouldn't hit the edge of the 2D screen and not be able to move in 3D anymore. Maybe this constant repositioning of the mouse messes something up.

I've done what I guess is a less moronic and more normal approach and I only pull the hidden cursor back to the center of the screen if it strays too far near the edge of the screen. Otherwise I leave it alone. I'm hoping this fixes the roaming cursor!

I've uploaded a new zip file on the website with the new code. Please try this again and let me know if it works. Especially Rich. I'm pretty sure a game that doesn't work will not score very high in any of the judging categories.

If it still roams, please press 'I' key while playing and let me know what the mousex and mousey values change to (i.e. are they constantly climbing?) Hopefully it is fixed and won't come to that as I'm running out of time and programming ideas if that bug isn't fixed.

Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2003 13:00
The controls now work and I can use the mouse to move around. However I have to say this - it's bastardly hard to line up your cursor with an incoming missle because they don't have shadows! I wasted most my shots clicking where I thought they were only to find out they are moving in the opposite direction and that's even with spinning the camera around up/down and using the mouse move properly.

I would seriously consider adding shadows for the missiles. Nothing complicated - just a black dot or whatever on the ground so you can see where they are headed or something.

Cheers,

Rich

"Gentlemen, we are about to short-circuit the Universe!"
DB Team / Atari ST / DarkForge / Retro Gaming
Andy Igoe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2003 15:06
I guess it's a bit late for this project but you can use mouseMoveX() to check for movement and that carries on working even if you hit the edge of the screen

Can check for Y and Z axis too (third axis being the wheel).

tiresius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2003 19:20
Thanks for all of your suggestions this is great (I'm extremely glad it is at least working now.)

I had planned on making shadows for the missiles but seemed hard to have a black 3D missile object "crawl" on the ground up and down slopes and stuff and make it look properly. But dots? I can do dots. I'll update the file tonight or later this weekend.

I'll also try to fix the bubble-popping explosions and maybe have them fade out (if I can figure that out) or reshrink back to nothing (as the arcade version does). I think I wasn't understanding the scale object command properly and for some reason thought it impossible to get an object back down to its original shape so I didn't get it.

Bastardly hard. Are there extra points for that?

Andy Igoe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Apr 2003 22:28
The scale object command is relative to the last time you fixed the object pivot or when you loaded/created the object.

tiresius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2003 12:29
I uploaded a new version on the website.

Made little black ball shadows for the missiles. It only works on easy mode though, so if you guys a challenge...

I also made the explosions shrink instead of having them disappear. That's more true to the original arcade.

I tried putting in code for the middle button (wheel) but it would only go up. When I checked for mousemovez() < 0 if never worked. I took it out but just wondering if this is normal or how are you supposed to read a scrolldown with the mouse wheel?

Thanks for your help I hope you guys enjoy the game.
~Paul

tiresius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Apr 2003 12:30
Oh I made it compatible with Patch 4 too. clone object works now so it loads faster... or maybe I just figured out the syntax finally (seemed backward to me... having the target first and the source second, but oh well.)

Had to flip some of the matrix textures but that was it, pretty smooth transition.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 07:54:02
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 07:54:02