Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / Full version of DarkWolf3D finished

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Apr 2003 19:09 Edited at: 6th Apr 2003 19:21
I've just finished my game, ouf. The complet game have 10 levels + a secret level =).
Here's the link to my game page:
http://iquebec.ifrance.com/KryptKoder/KryptKoder_-_DarkWolf3D.html
Here's the link to the file:
http://www.vampyr.info/kryptkoder/darkwolf.zip

Have fun =)

Those who have problem running it: Please make a precise desciption of the bug and of your computer so I can see what I can't do, Thanks.

Lord Belial
KuRi
Years of Service
User Offline
Cool Game!. I like the cartoon textures!. Perhaps too much sprites... but anyway it is a cool FPS made in DBPRO. Good Luck!

KamaKase
Years of Service
User Offline
Problem: It don't work. I double click the file (which has been extracted from the Zip). An uniconed program comes up on my Task Bar named "DARK WOLF 3D". It stays there for a while. And then disapears.

My Computer:
Settings
1024 X 768
High Colour
Windows ME
128MB Ram

Xoid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2003 01:01 Edited at: 7th Apr 2003 01:02
KamaKase, I have EXACTLY the same problem,

My Specs:
P3 450MHZ
192MB RAM
64MB Geforce2 MX400
Windows 98

Do not anticipate the outcome of the engagement, let nature take it's course, and your tools will strike at the right moment - from "Tao of Jeet Kune Do" by Bruce Lee
Lord Belial
Years of Service
User Offline
I think the problem might be with High color, my game was made to run in true color mode (32bits) not in high color mode (16bits). Also, xoid your computer wouldn't be fast enough for my game anyway. As it's written on my page, This game was design to run smoothly on my computer wich is a 1ghz with a GeForce3... sorry =(.

Lord Belial
Freddix
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2003 14:41
my colmputer is enough performant !
I own Athlon XP1600+ , GeForce 2MX and 512Mo DDRam . . .
Isn't enough for your game ?

But for sure my desktop is in 16bits mode ( a bit faster , that's why I choosed it )

Kohai of UWDesign
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2003 15:12
won't run here, also ....

[Kohai]
[url]www.underwaredesign.com[/url] [url]www.kohaistyle.com[/url]
pIII 733/256 Ram/Geforce 256
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2003 15:25
It works fine on my PC so at least it can be judged fairly! (the first level is now at least bright enough to see you moving around, but the second is almost pitch black which is a shame, but I'll try it on my other PC and see what happens).

Cheers,

Rich

"Gentlemen, we are about to short-circuit the Universe!"
DB Team / Atari ST / DarkForge / Retro Gaming
Xoid
Years of Service
User Offline
my system isn't fast enough? oh please..................

if I can run Quake 3 arena, and unreal tournament 2003 without slowdown, sure I could run your program, maybe you should think about people who haven't got seriously high spec PC's, not alot of people have, and if you want to write games your gonna have to consider this

Do not anticipate the outcome of the engagement, let nature take it's course, and your tools will strike at the right moment - from "Tao of Jeet Kune Do" by Bruce Lee
Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2003 19:51 Edited at: 7th Apr 2003 19:54
I have the same problem...

Athelon XP 1400 plus
Nvidia Geforce MX400
256mb Ram
...in 32 bit color

Why the hell'd you ask me for crying out loud!?!

Athelon XP 1400 Plus - Nvidia Geforce MX400 - 256mb RAM
KamaKase
Years of Service
User Offline
Hmmm, I'm gonna try it on my other computer, which does have Geoforce 3.

I wacked this computer on to True colour, same thing. Which is a shame, and also very suprising. This one can run Max Payne.

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Apr 2003 23:18
Quote: "Xoid - if I can run Quake 3 arena, and unreal tournament 2003 without slowdown"

how the bloody hell did you manage that? UT2K3 doesn't even run smoothly on my Althon 500Mhz w/GeForce3 Ti 200!!!
however this game runs at a decent enough speed on my laptop
AlthonMobile 600Mhz | GeForce2 Go! | 128Mb Ram | Dx9

... somehow i don't think its the colour mode else my GeForce2 Go! would also choke - any error messages it come up with?

Tsu'va Oni Ni Jyuuko Fiori Sei Tau!
One block follows the suit ... the whole suit of blocks is the path ... what have you found?
Lord Belial
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2003 03:16 Edited at: 8th Apr 2003 05:21
First, thanks for all your comments and system informations for those who were not able to run it. I'll send my code and your configuration infos to DBS, They surely find the problem. The sources will be avalaible in a couple of weeks as Im going to clean it of redondant codes (and hopefully add some comments as for now I have like none...).

Xoid: Im not sure if youre funny or stupid... I never said your computer was not fast enough for the two best engine on the market... I said it was to slow for MY engine. What were you hoping for? me remaking an engine as performent as Unreal Tournement or quake arena alone in 2 months? Of course my engine is not as fast... I had quite a lot of things to integrate in this game in quite a short time period and I wanted to test not the loading of a BSP but a system that build up the level. And for the consideration for lower end computer... it's something I think about for comercial release but sadly not for a demo made in two months.

Freddix: It should have work on youre config as it's working quite well on the computer of one of my friend that have the same config...

Rich:I realy dont know why it's so dark on your computer... Ambient light is set to 50% and there are other lights in levels... In fact, on my computer to make it that bright I had to dump wildly colored lightning =.

Good luck to all for the compo =)

Lord Belial
UberTuba
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Apr 2003 13:05
the demo wrkd fine for me, downloading final ver now

Life is a terminal disease.
You never survive it.
Xoid
Years of Service
User Offline
I can assure you Lord Belial I'm not stupid

anyway, you haven't created an engine, your using the engine DB PRO provides, there is 'slightly' lol more work involved to create your OWN games engine.

although there is a number of things you can do with DB/DBPRO to speed things up abit.

@Raven:

I don't know why UT2K3 runs that smooth on my system, but it does

Lord Belial
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2003 00:43 Edited at: 9th Apr 2003 00:45
Xoid: If you look back at my post, I've said I've created a game engine, not a graphic engine (wish is greatfully provided by darkbasic =) ) ... like doom and hexen wich shared a great part of the graphic engine while changing the gameplay to add more versatility and a more complexe adventure with the use of scripts.

Lord Belial
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2003 03:31
you're system isn't even close to the min specs Xoid ... anything under a 500Mhz processor just can't handle the terrain withing the game, that game has gotta be at the lowest possible res with the lowest graphics options - because i've tried it on a system with similar specs and quite frankly for me 15fps just isn't acceptable ... and i'm not sure how anyone can say that's smooth.

Lord Belial - i'll gather together do a quick recode of my fmtBSP 0.9 format for you, i think you'll like how it works as i'm not sure how it'll react under patch4 is why i'll need to recode because it selects the faces on what can be seen but with fvf in place of standard mesh editing i'm not sure how i can do it ... infact the jump to fvf in memblocks instead of standard mesh data completely fudged up gameSpace, because i can't specify which way the faces should go. I think they should look into putting the mesh memblocks the way they were and add FVF memblocks if we want to use them.
else i'll have to go back to using patch 3.1 for it - which is a shame cause of the speed difference for major numbers of objects, but ho hum eh.
yeah but i think you'll like the layout of it, as the 0.x versions use a 2D Wolf3D/Doom style of BSP which is arrayed so there isn't actually much real data in there.

basic data layout is

effectively its simple... it'd take the (ent) entity byte, which first 5bits = entity number (32 per world) then the next 3bits are free to be used by the entity as boolean flags normally. based on that depends how you use the rest of the data.

for faces ->
(x,z) integer position -2million to +2million (i figured this was big enough) ... then the next is the (y) height of it or rather 'level', its possible to make simple ramps and such with it.

then you'd have (t) texture index which is the index number of the texture which is outlined in the format header (upto 256 textures, which is more than enough even for most of todays worlds)

i mean the one good thing about fvf is that i don't have to bother with setup up the face and cull data, it'll do it automatically. As all of the faces are considered square - the UV data is calculated per group of 4 vertex in game which was combined with the precalculted lightmap of the area
normals would be calcuated on load of the world.... and because of the way i did things i was able to combine the data of the shadow in the lightmaps before i combined with the game. However as DBpro is capable of using a Projection Matrix4 for this well no need to fake the effect but just do it for real.

the thing i alway get stuck on with my formats is actually making editors because it bores me to - so i kinda loose interest whilst developing them, end up with a great format with no editor

One block follows the suit ... the whole suit of blocks is the path ... what have you found?
Xoid
Years of Service
User Offline
Lord Belial, you still haven't created a TRUE engine though

Xoid
Years of Service
User Offline
well... Raven... I can't explain it, but it runs as smooth as Quake 3 Arena on my system and Quake 3 Arena is very smooth no slowdown or anything, dude I'm serious can't explain it but it runs smoooooooooooooooth

Martyn Pittuck
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2003 11:25
WOW

Great game

You got somming good here

The Outside is a evil place to be, too much light, too much noise and too many distractions....
I went outside once and my FPS rate dropped to 5.
Eponick
Years of Service
User Offline
Wow, awsome.. Loved it ^_^

UberTuba
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Apr 2003 14:49
Loved it too, but the multilevel thing should be taken out (the 3 exits on lvl 6)

Life is a terminal disease.
You never survive it.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Apr 2003 00:32
Xoid maybe its cause i'm more sensitive about FPS and such - i've had alot of people thinking that games are smooth and why i play them i can't stand how jerky they are.

Quake3 is one of the fewer titles to work smoothly even at 20fps not that i ever see that fps anymore ... as i said i'll probably see about emailing? you the details about the format because i think you should continue developing this game

Solidz Snake
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2003 08:34
Lord, is it okie we (me, my bro & my sis) could ask u few things about ur game personally by email?

My email is the same like in my Profile
Thankz!

Snake? What happened? Snake? Snaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaake!!! - Colonel Roy Campbell

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2003 09:09
hey Lord Belial can you change the setting of the project to FULLSCREEN, rather the FULLDESKTOP and then recompile the project.

i think thats why its running so slow on my computer, because the screenmode is 640x480 - but my desktop mode is 1280x960
poor lil GeForce2 Go! can't handle the strain lol

Lord Belial
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2003 10:48 Edited at: 16th Apr 2003 10:49
Solidus Snake: No troub, I'll email you later this week.

Raven: Oups it was set to fulldesktop for testing purpose and I must have let it this way as there is no speed change on my computer between the two modes =\ ... If Im lucky, I'll upload a new version with cartoon effect on characters and I'll compile it for fullscreenmode.

Lord Belial
roswell
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2003 16:04
Solidus Snake -- If DarkWolf3D was entered in the retro compo, then the source code should be available soon (it was a condition for entering). In fact, we should soon be able to peruse the source code for the almost 100 games entered in the compo. Should be a great reference!

/* You are not expected to understand this. */
Solidz Snake
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Apr 2003 17:48 Edited at: 16th Apr 2003 17:49
yup, but we prefer to ask him personally while at the same time, we can ask him on 'how this works, how that works'

3 votes from us to DW3D!

Roswell, ur website is sooo funny! Nice touch with ur own humourous words!

Snake? What happened? Snake? Snaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaake!!! - Colonel Roy Campbell

ZomBfied
Years of Service
User Offline
I wish I could get to do anything besides well, nothing. It just sort of loads up then quits. On either of 2 1gz+ geforce 2 computers I've tried it on. What's the dilly o?

Simple
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Apr 2003 23:40
Same problem here.

I tried it on my Gforce2 400 mx and my Gforce2 100/200 mx ( nothing )

I've also had this problem with a few other game I've tried out from the retro compo.... some wouldn't work at all, and some would only work on my Gforce2 100/200 mx machine.

Strange !!

Spec - AMD Athlon 1000mhz - 256mb DDR - Gforce2mx 400 - 60gb HD - 19" Compaq - DVD rom

Armeggadon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2003 01:13 Edited at: 19th Apr 2003 01:48
haha i LOVE it. the graphics and gameplay are fun. only one thing. i hear dogs(?) and people(?) around me but i never see them. and i dont like rooms where you open the door and 2 umm things are shotting at you argh i keep dying there. lol. oh well

[edit} i was wondering what program u used to make the graphics and the map. its really cool the bubbly 2d-ness. just wondering. please tell me i need a good 3d modeling program(aiming for 3d studio but not sure yet)

Current Status: Learning DBPro

I consider myself: ULTRA NEWB!!!!!!!!!!!
Lord Belial
Years of Service
User Offline
Armeggadon: I've used Milkshape3D for characters and objects in the levels (well, those that are not plains =) ). All levels are builded up at loading using plains and some 3d objects.

Anyway my source code should be avalaible in the next weeks but I don't have a computer at home and my source need some cleaning and comments (of wich there are like none for now).

Lord Belial
yates
Years of Service
User Offline
Very cool game man, I'm impressed.

Hubdule
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2003 14:41
@ Lord Belial ...

the problems some have here are because it seems that you used the compact and encrypt media with exe option. I've got the same problem here with your game and also with my retro entry Bamberman. When you turn off the encryption or better don't add all files to the exe it works. That seems to be a problem with Patch4. I hope that info helps and I hope that I can test it soon.

Athlon 1200MHz, 256MB Ram, GF4Ti4200 128MB

Armeggadon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2003 17:26
ok thx. i really like the game but i CANT get past the 6th lvl. argh. im sure i'll find a way. oh well its really fun when your bored

Current Status: Learning DBPro

I consider myself: ULTRA NEWB!!!!!!!!!!!
vivi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Apr 2003 21:55
I thought this game was for a retro comp. For a RETRO comp i would think that the the games have to be like RETRO
........as in old. I would like to see you trying to play this on something like my old snes. Its the same with the other games as well.
Please don't get me wrong i love the game and its not ment to be aimed at you, just a general comment

WHY WAIT FOR GAMES.......MAKE THEM COME TO YOU
>>>>www.sharksoft.scripterz.com<<<<<
THANKS IN ADVANCE
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Apr 2003 03:35
ViVi checkout the retro mandate... the point was to take a Retro game and remake it trying to make it as original or improving on it

this certainly has the Retro look and feel, and Wolf3D is about as retro as you get when FPS on the PC are consern
i think the idea to turn it into a cartoon world is quite unique and original too - think this'll score high in the comp

Lord Belial
Years of Service
User Offline
And vivi2k, Wolfenstein 3D WAS a SNES game =)

Lord Belial
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2003 17:12 Edited at: 22nd Apr 2003 17:13
[edit-] blasted forum double posting

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2003 17:13
no it wasn't!!!!
it was the original 1992 FPS from id Software/Apogee for the IBM Compatible Format (what we now call PCCD)

yates
Years of Service
User Offline
Yea it was originally released on PC, but was later converted to consoles.. dunno why though, looked dated on the consoles. There's even a GBA version.

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2003 20:47
i've never seen a console version of Wolfenstein, Doom yes thats been only almost every platform alive and dead - but Wolfenstein, certainly don't remember that on anything other than the IBM Compatible PC

vivi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Apr 2003 23:22
[ViVi withdraws everything he said]

WHY WAIT FOR GAMES.......MAKE THEM COME TO YOU
>>>>www.sharksoft.scripterz.com<<<<<
THANKS IN ADVANCE
PiratSS
Years of Service
User Offline
This is the best thing I have ever seen(saying it like Simon from American Idol)

Being such a critic, I could say that you got the best game for DarkBasic Pro I have ever seen.

1 thing I don't like (here we go..) is the time it takes to load a level.

Cheers.

PS: Love thy dogs!

There are two types of people in the world: The ones who summon and the ones that create. There is a big difference...
Lord Belial
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2003 09:19 Edited at: 24th Apr 2003 09:21
Raven: I assure you there are version on snes (with the help of a FX chip =) ), on Gameboy Advance and on Atari Jaguar (I have all those on roms but chut!). There was also a version on mac wich had differents missions and 2 more weapons and quite a lot of fan-made version for linux, dos, amiga and other operating systems.

Lord Belial
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2003 22:37
doom yes... i don't remember wolfenstien having this done to it
i'm gonna go on a hunt, but i don't have high hopes i'll find anything.

ZomBfied
Years of Service
User Offline
There was an SNES Wolfenstein. I used to have it. It sucked.

Lord Belial
Years of Service
User Offline
Zombified: Oh yes, it sucks big time. The engine choke a lot and graphics were changed. Dogs were changed to giant rats, all nazis symboles were erased and hitler mustache was shaved =).

Lord Belial
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Apr 2003 20:07
This should settle some disputes

You are the th person to view this signature.
Programmers don't die, they just Gosub without return....
Great Knight
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Apr 2003 06:17 Edited at: 30th Apr 2003 06:24
Wolfinstine 3d was also for the Sega 32x but that sytem only had like 5 games.

AMD Atherlon 2400+ XP, 380 DDr memeory, ATI Radeon 9000 64 DDR.

And a Katana.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 20:57:03
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 20:57:03