Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Author
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2006 16:34 Edited at: 27th Jul 2006 16:35
The use of joints in Dark Physics can make for all kinds of interesting structures. In this demo program we have constructed a bridge using joints and the ragdoll commands. A ball is then dropped onto the bridge and we get to watch what happens. Several shaders in use as well demonstrating relief mapping, reflections and shadows.

There is a tutorial included in the documentation describing how a similar kind of bridge can be created. For the tutorials all the excess is cut out so no fancy graphics etc. to keep it all as simple as possible.

Source and an image provided for this program.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
David iz cool
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2006 17:06
wow! looks awesome!

also this forum is new.see how observant i am. lol
JulesD
Years of Service
User Offline
@Mike

Just wondering if a Ageia hardware processor is being used there?
Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2006 01:12 Edited at: 28th Jul 2006 01:27
Quote: "we have constructed a bridge using joints and the ragdoll commands"

Ahhh. Now I like the sound of that.

Edit: Looking at the code it seems fairly intuitive as well. Dare I said it ... rag dolls looks reasonably straight forward to implement!!!

Mike Johnson
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Jul 2006 10:20
JulesD, this demo doesn't take advantage of the hardware. We have included a lot of software only demos like this one and then also a collection of hardware specific demos.
Xarshi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2006 08:48
Where is the relief mapping being used there?

Fear the dwemer pokeballs. Fear them!
Mike Johnson
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2006 11:20
The relief mapping is used on the ground objects.
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2006 15:39
All this stuff is looking great, glad I got DarkPhysics pre-ordered, seems to be a very powerful system and one that will save a ton of coding .

I was just wondering if it would be possible to break that bridge to bits - like if you disabled a joing, by blowing it up, shooting the rope, or through code - would it react like expected?

If it could split down the middle and fall to each side of a canyon, Indi Jones style, or shoot one of the ropes and have it drop some enemies into said canyon, then that would be incredible.

Aegrescit medendo
Mike Johnson
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2006 15:43
Van B, I haven't tried it with the bridge but you can break things and everything falls to pieces like you expect. With some time we can change that demo so it splits down the middle Wont have time to do it before release but maybe can do it afterwards or by then someone else might have made a demo showing something like it.
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2006 16:13 Edited at: 31st Jul 2006 16:13
Different bridge, but part of the demos. Added a random break limit on the bridge joints and whadda you know!

Attachments

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Jul 2006 16:25 Edited at: 31st Jul 2006 16:26
Found the demo above, but unfortunately shadows and shaders kill my PC. So here it is, shadowless, but with one of the bridge planks hanging down, and a couple behind the sphere have also broken free.

Attachments

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Aug 2006 09:18 Edited at: 1st Aug 2006 09:20
Wow .

Thanks for testing this stuff out Batvink, seems DP is capable of a helluva lot. I was thinking that being able to cut ropes with an axe would be a very original feature in an RPG.

What impresses me is how functional it is - like if that bridge was in Flatout, then it would sit and wait for you to drive into it so it could smash into planks - and back then I'd have killed for Flatouts physics. This is just the sort of physics we need - I don't care about barrels and boxes, I want bits hanging off other bits .

Aegrescit medendo

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-18 09:17:28
Your offset time is: 2024-04-18 09:17:28