Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark Physics & Dark A.I. & Dark Dynamix / Dark PHYSICS license questions.

Author
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2006 14:23
Hello.

I've seen the license given with DarkPHYSICS and, I wanted to post some questions cos I'm french and I'm not sure about what it exactly mean...

The term "SOFTWARE PRODUCT" represent DarkPHYSICS or the software we develop using DarkPHYSICS ?

Quote: "
(i) any media provided with the SOFTWARE PRODUCT that you use is incorporated into a single executable file (media can be models, bitmaps, sounds, music or animation);
"

Does this mean that is we use medias provided with DarkPHYSICS must be contained in the .EXE and not out of it ?

(v) such files are not commercially exploited, or exploited for any form of commercial gain or benefit (without, in any such case, a separate commercial use licence granted by Ageia Technologies, Inc. (www.ageia.com));
"

Does this mean that we must acquire a commercial license to sell games developed using DarkPHYSICS ?

(vi) you reproduce all of the AGEIA copyright notices (as they appear below in this EULA) within each such file and on the media (if any) for each such file;
"

What does this mean ?

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2006 14:51
Not sure exactly, but this is what I've ascertained...

* I'm thinking you have to imbed any media you borrow from the demo's or Ageia - so that non-licence holders can't get their hands on it - it's a copyright issue I think and only applies if your using their media.

* I think the middle one is concearned with people trying to make systems that use Ageia, then sell them on - anyone who will develop with the physics plugin needs a licence. I think these files are seperate from the runtime, so it won't affect us I think - like we'd just let the plugin complain when there's no runtimes, and the user would get them from their site - basically don't distribute the runtime, or if you do - make sure it's just the runtime installer you supply.

* You probably would be best having decent Ageia logo's and copyright notices - the Ageia guys want people to buy phys cards, so they are doing what they can to encourage this and give themselves a better foothold on this technology - think 3Dfx back in the day with it's Voodoo 3D cards.

Rich stated in a post that the commercial licence concearns can be bodyswerved. Basically keep the standards up, encourage them to buy a phys card by supporting it in your game, and you can probably sell your product without to many problems - I'm thinking it would have to go throught Ageia to be approved, but it's not the problem I thought it would be!.

Knowing your work history, I'd say it was a bad idea to consider this for a world editor - like you could'nt supply ageia physics in a world editor unless it was just support - like the end user would need a licence for DP in order to use the stuff in their own code.

Aegrescit medendo
Simwad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2006 02:43
Free:
- Non-commercial use
- PS3 platform (through Sony pre-purchase)
- Through some of our middleware partnerships, such as UE3, Gamebryo 2.2, and others--often limited to non-commercial use
- PC platform (if the game makes significant use of PhysX HW)

Seems if you pump up the Hardware side of your game you are not required to pay a fee. You need to be able to show the difference between Software and Hardware Physics, the "Grandmother Test"http://devsupport.ageia.com/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=1949
Xarshi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2006 03:10
Yes,if you enhance your game with physx stuff such as fluids and what not,you can sell it commercially. Of course,you don't have to make it just for physx card owners,batvink suggested do a search to see if the physx card is installed ( i = physx()),I think I would much more like an option menu that lets you check that(just for fun,you know,if you have the card but wanna play it without the ehanced features for some odd reason).

Woohoo. DP is finally released!
Freddix
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2006 12:43
@Van B : I agree that putting DarkPHYSICS onto X-Quad Editor may probably be a bad idea... I will surely add it in a "plugin" for X-Quad Editor so, end user that'll sell their games developed under X-Quad Editor will not have to pay any royalties if they don't use DarkPHYSICS capabilities ...

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.
Takis76
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Aug 2006 13:33
@Freddix : If you put DarkPhysics in your X-Quad Editor , might be need to pay 50.000$ to Ageia before you sell your Programm.

And might need to put Ageias logos in the start Screen.

http://i-access.gr/future/Banner.jpg
You are an elite hacker and try to save the cyberspace.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-19 07:12:53
Your offset time is: 2024-03-19 07:12:53