Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark Physics & Dark A.I. & Dark Dynamix / Character Controller won't push things around

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2006 16:12 Edited at: 2nd Aug 2006 16:13
Hi,

So I'm playing around with Dark Physics today(of course). And I have currently just finished the player controller section. Now in the section I found this:
Quote: "IMPORTANT: push is currently not implemented. In the sample we apply artificial (game play-tweaked) forces to objects in the callback, using provided impact data (position, etc).
"

So this means that the character controller can't push things around? I mean, sure using the character controller it's extremely easy to apply collision! But it's still kinda depressing to walk around in your level and see a tower of boxes fall and then when you walk over to the boxes to push them, nothing happens The player simply stops or walk over them...

Is this a feature that will be implementet later?

Thanks.

Mike Johnson
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2006 16:23
This feature is likely to come in at some point in the future. For now you can handle this manually by finding out if the character controller has collided with other objects and then applying forces onto those objects. It requires a little more work in the code but you can still get the effect you want.
The Nerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2006 16:27
Quote: "For now you can handle this manually by finding out if the character controller has collided with other objects and then applying forces onto those objects. It requires a little more work in the code but you can still get the effect you want."

Aha Thanks Mike!

Cheers.

Freddy 007
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2006 16:30
Quote: "This feature is likely to come in at some point in the future. For now you can handle this manually by finding out if the character controller has collided with other objects and then applying forces onto those objects. It requires a little more work in the code but you can still get the effect you want."

Can someone maybe provide an example of how to do this? Since the collision data commands apparently doesn't work, I'm not sure how this can be achieved.

Xarshi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2006 19:48
The collision functions do work. A simple way of telling if object 2 for example hits object 1(say obj 1 is the floor and obj 2 is a dynamic box):

You can also use the other commands where the phy get collision object a-b() commands are. As for the applying of forces to objects near the player,I don't even want to get into that right now.lol

Woohoo. DP is finally released!
Freddy 007
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2006 19:59
Well, the PHY GET COLLISION OBJECT A/B were the only collision commands I could get to work. And of course the PHY GET COLLISION DATA.

Xarshi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2006 20:07
hah,yeah. Ok,well,I'm gonna see if the others work for me.(gotta know what they do first though)

Freddy 007
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2006 20:09
Well, they aren't highligted and they cause a compiler error here. So it's not that they don't work actually - it's that they are not there at all!

Xarshi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2006 20:11
Uhhh....the commands don't exist for me... says the function cannot be found. Wow,thats slightly confusing.

Mike Johnson
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Aug 2006 20:16
The confusion over some of these commands is down to a mistake in the documentation. This will be corrected in the forthcoming update.
imekon
Years of Service
User Offline
Actually the documentation stresses something about not using

but to use

Pete Goodwin

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-19 02:36:20
Your offset time is: 2024-03-19 02:36:20