Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Professional Discussion / DB and external database?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Just wonder, does DBPro support connection to external database (ODBC, MsSQL, MySQL or other) for storing info?

Or is there a way to do this with extra components?
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2002 16:05
Natively DBPro won't support this (it's designed for games afterall, so ODBC connectivity etc was quite low on our list of priorities) - you could achieve it if you are able to write a DLL which you then call in your DBPro program. Someone did this for DBV1, but nothing for Pro yet AFAIK.

Cheers,

Rich

"Gentlemen, we are about to short-circuit the Universe!"
DB Team / Atari ST / DarkForge / Retro Gaming
TelCoMan
Years of Service
User Offline
Presently I have DB1.13 talking to a Data Pump witten in VB6 communicating between the two with text fiiles. The next step will be to write a DLL that will allow direct queries into SQL Server or for that matter any ODBC compliant data base. When I have the DLL completed and get permission to make it public I will post it.

But in the mean time Rich you may want to re-think on the priorities after you have the Pro issues solved and offer ODBC connectivity to the product as many of your future buyers may just be corp developers looking at enhancing their EIS systems, system monitoring tools, web analysis tools, visual information systems just to mane a few. Not to mention we spend big dollars on developing tools. Just a thought out of the box sort of speaking.

Milamber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2002 10:50
At this rate, DBPro is going to develop in reverse to the way C++ developed. C++ started with the really low level commands and built up from there to complex ones with libraries of code (classes, etc.). DBPro is going to get so many requests for small, simple additions, it's going to have those simple commands included to cover these requests. Not that I'm complaining, about the request, my prediction, or the bugs, but how about we let them fix the bugs in the commands that already exist before we start asking them for more commands.

System Specs: AMD Athlon 1700+ XP, GA-7VRX motherboard, 128MB DDR RAM, GeForce2 MX400 64MB VRAM
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2002 03:19
True other people have asked for it - but you must understand that DBPro should focus on games first and "applications" second. We are releasing a DBPro SDK which will allow anyone to write extra commands for DBPro if they know a little C++, indeed some DBDN members already have. So we're making the language open because we know that we can't do everything people want, so it's always best to let them do it themselves!

Cheers,

Rich

"Gentlemen, we are about to short-circuit the Universe!"
DB Team / Atari ST / DarkForge / Retro Gaming

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 16:49:23
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 16:49:23