Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark Physics & Dark A.I. & Dark Dynamix / Using multiple rigid bodies for a single object

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I know you can set up a single rigid body with an object. But if you have a complex mesh and you want to assign more than one rigid body - like the teapot model in the documentation using cubic and spheric rigid bodies , how can you do this?

THX
imekon
Years of Service
User Offline
One very tedious and labourious way would be to figure out the spheres and cubes for each part of your mesh and create them in physics. Quite how you actually do that... I dunno.

Alternately, assuming you can, create a DBO file with all the meshes you want, do a

and you're done. That's what I did when I loaded a 'scene' from 3D World Studio.

If you want individual 'dynamic' objects - ones you can expect to move around in the scene, use

I found the dynamic object I used caused problems so I switched to a box:

After all it was a crate!

Pete Goodwin
pdq
Years of Service
User Offline
If I import a *dbo file or even an *.X file will Dark Physics construct a rigid body for each "limb". I quess that is what I am after.

For example, lets say I construct a tea pot model (like the one in the docs). The model contains the actual textured teapot mesh and lets say 5 collision meshes of various shapes(box, sphere...) Now if I load it into DBPro, how do I build rigid bodies for just the 5 collision meshes?
Bmad6
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2006 04:41
I'm not sure how you'd do this, but imekon, your idea would slow down the processor a lot, especially if you have many meshes or very complex meshes. spheres, boxes, etc. calculate collision MUCH faster than meshes, because they use equations specific to boxes, spheres, etc. If you do it the way you just suggested, the physics engine has to check for collision against each poly individually.

Programming is the art that fights back.
Mike Johnson
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Aug 2006 10:16
I removed the commands that handle this at the last moment because of a problem with a few models. They will return and you will get commands like phy make rigid body dynamic boxes where each limb in that model will have a static box representing it. I hope to have this back in very soon.
pdq
Years of Service
User Offline
Thank You all for getting back to me. I did notice in the "Information" Docs under "examples\rigid body". There is an example called "Models" that I think explains exactly what I am talking about. And so I looked into the examples directory for this and found it was missing, I quess the fact that the commands have been removed, explains why the "Models" example is missing. Hope it comes back soon.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-19 09:25:20
Your offset time is: 2024-03-19 09:25:20